2017 Mazda6 Transmission Fluid and Coolant Flush

bose301s

:
2016 CX-5, 2017 Mazda6
At the dealer and they said they recommend the transmission fluid and coolant to be flushed every 30k miles, I have 36k miles currently, looking at the manual this seems like complete BS as they recommend coolant at 120K miles and no transmission flush.

Are they just trying to fleece me or are they correct? Not doing coolant today as I don't think it's needed, I did do transmission as some searching did find people saying to do it 30-45K still.

Just looking for what everyone thinks.

I believe from the owner's manual, both the auto transmission fluid and coolant are suppose to last the life of the car. Manual gear box oil change schedule is 112K miles or 180K Km. Otherwise the owner's manual only suggest inspection of these fluids.

Dealers also often recommend fuel injector flushes but unless there are driveability issues or you have drained your gas tank dry, I don't see the point.

At the dealer and they said they recommend the transmission fluid and coolant to be flushed every 30k miles, I have 36k miles currently, looking at the manual this seems like complete BS as they recommend coolant at 120K miles and no transmission flush.

Are they just trying to fleece me or are they correct? Not doing coolant today as I don't think it's needed, I did do transmission as some searching did find people saying to do it 30-45K still.

On this topic, the opinions are very divided.

Not recommended by Mazda, not mandatory.
However, when you feel something is wrong with transmission, it is usually too late...

I personally do 30K/45K/60K. Each costs about $180 at Mazda dealer. Each drain-n-refill gets to only half of the fluid.
Hence, you need to do three times to get to 7/8 of the fluid.
If you want to keep your vehicle for a long time, I would recommend it.
If you plan to keep it for less than 10 yrs, it is next guy's problem.
It is unlikely to fail before 100k.

BMW had so-called "life-time fluid" since 1997. Yet, lots of E39 (BMW 5 series) had transmission failure after 60K (yes, after warranty expired).
Automaker will not do a d*m thing to help you pay for it....
If you believe in "life-time" fluid, it is your call.

There is no flushing per se.
Half of the fluid is locked up in the torque converter. It is hard to get to w/o special device.
Most dealers just do drain-n-refill, clean up the pan/magnets, replace the seal/gasket.
(Mazda sells a transmission fluid kit for about $40)

I don't do coolant flush however.
Usually sell my vehicles before 90K.

Last edited:
On this topic, the opinions are very divided.

Not recommended by Mazda, not mandatory.
However, when you feel something is wrong with transmission, it is usually too late...

I personally do 30K/45K/60K. Each costs about $180 at Mazda dealer. Each drain-n-refill gets to only half of the fluid.
Hence, you need to do three times to get to 7/8 of the fluid.
If you want to keep your vehicle for a long time, I would recommend it.
If you plan to keep it for less than 10 yrs, it is next guy's problem.
It is unlikely to fail before 100k.

BMW had so-called "life-time fluid" since 1997. Yet, lots of E39 (BMW 5 series) had transmission failure after 60K (yes, after warranty expired).
Automaker will not do a d*m thing to help you pay for it....
If you believe in "life-time" fluid, it is your call.

There is no flushing per se.
Half of the fluid is locked up in the torque converter. It is hard to get to w/o special device.
Most dealers just do drain-n-refill, clean up the pan/magnets, replace the seal/gasket.
(Mazda sells a transmission fluid kit for about $40)

I don't do coolant flush however.
Usually sell my vehicles before 90K.
Man, I'd love to buy a car from you with all that maintenance you are doing 😂 The world would be so much better only if all people were half as diligent as you are on the maintenance

Recommend this video I watched today. Make your own call after this....

Though I care about transmission on every car I owned, I don't do anything else other than oil change at 5K interval.
DIY on all filters.

LOL, not at you but at your dealer. Just returned from my recent oil change at dealer. Odometer at 25,xxx. They (service tech & dealer) recommended a trans oil change at next visit of 30,000. And a valve carbon treatment as well as a brake fluid change. One can of CRC @ $11.00 removed (not all, I’m sure...but “most”) of the carbon accumulation on the valves. Followed directions. Once I took her down the interstate and blew out the exhaust smoke, she purred like a kitten.

Re: brake fluid change? I don’t think so. Just because it wasn’t that nice clear color? It had a yellowish tint? “What about a moisture test, Mr. Technician?” Again, I don’t think so. I’m fairly capable and competent on changing the brake fluid out. But nothing convinces me it needs to be done NOW.

Let’s call it what it was: An attempt to “Service My Wallet.” These guys make the money for the store out back in the service department. Actual car sales pay the salesmen’s commissions and keep the utilities and lights on. Big buck$ are made in the service department. Of course, there is the push to “ recommend.” Sorry, Mr. Dealer. Not happening.

Anyway, that’s my two cents’ worth. Remember: “Buyer Beware” and insure your own due diligence in that owner’s manual.

Last edited:
Back