Next Gen CX-5 Design and Content Suggestions

What about SA-X 2.5T? I wonder if that could work...it might lead to some absolute animal torque down low along with a solid top-end performer. The ultra-high compression would lend to efficiency. It really sounds sexy on paper...

I will admit, my 2.5T is legit the gateway drug that gets me into an actual performance SUV one day, I fear. I hope it can be japanese and not german, but...

I doubt Mazda will do that, one of the reasons it has not folded is being well within CARB / CAFE limits. It wont make sense from a business perspective, I actually give Mazda 30% chance of putting the 2.5T with AWD in Mazda3 / Mazda 6.

1) New Seats!
-wider base with proper bolstering that doesnt hurt people with narrower waists
-longer base for proper leg support
-back with bolsters that can actually hold a medium/small build person in place.

2) Consistent power delivery from the turbo engine regardless of outside temps.

3) A Transmission without shift flair when cold.

4)More power to the rear wheels.

5)Sportier suspension

6) Wider tires

1) New Seats!
-wider base with proper bolstering that doesn*t hurt people with narrower waists
-longer base for proper leg support
-back with bolsters that can actually hold a medium/small build person in place.

2) Consistent power delivery from the turbo engine regardless of outside temps.

3) A Transmission without shift flair when cold.

4)More power to the rear wheels.

5)Sportier suspension

6) Wider tires

The shift flair may not be bad, it may just be a side effect of torque converter remaining locked. Different isn't always defective.

The shift flair may not be bad, it may just be a side effect of torque converter remaining locked. Different isn't always defective.

It would be interesting to see who still has shift flair after verifying proper transmission fluid levels, or that topping off the fluid rectified the behaviour.

I'm not certain anyone here has reported that they've done either, unless I missed it.

It would be interesting to see who still has shift flair after verifying proper transmission fluid levels, or that topping off the fluid rectified the behaviour.

I'm not certain anyone here has reported that they've done either, unless I missed it.

I've had flair in many vehicles. My Jeeps 545rfe was one. Yes the fluid was correct level. Yes flair on every shift even when warm. No, it never evolved in 40k miles whereupon I traded it at 95k mi or so.

My 2015 cx5 had a touch of flare, too. 106k mi, no transmission issues.

Flare is an issue when the ECU tags it, until then, think about what you're doing...

The gears are disengaging...the tq converter is remaining locked except for the moment of shifting, as I understand it?. There is no load on the engine or transmission from the engine. It is very sensible to expect a touch of rpm pop when the engine is suddenly unloaded, even with the IAC or whatever these things have "planning" it. In fact, this is why it does it more when cold, and at low rpms. It naturally wants to idle at 2k or so, or at least higher than when warm, so you get a bit of rpm pop. I'm all about calling Mazda out and stressing on minutia, as you know if you follow anything I've posted, but on this occasion, I'm not too stressed.

Interesting.

I've never noticed it in my Reserve, but as I've often pointed out, my rural driving is rarely under stop & go conditions...only at the tail-end of my drive as I get to the shopping districts.

By the time I get to the end of my right-of-way and on to the hard-surfaced road as I depart home, my car's pretty much warmed up. It's a good 8-10 miles after then that I hit any "traffic" to speak of, and even that is brief in duration. Between home and there it's non-stop uninterrupted cruising.

Interesting.

I've never noticed it in my Reserve, but as I've often pointed out, my rural driving is rarely under stop & go conditions...only at the tail-end of my drive as I get to the shopping districts.

By the time I get to the end of my right-of-way and on to the hard-surfaced road as I depart home, my car's pretty much warmed up. It's a good 8-10 miles after then that I hit any "traffic" to speak of, and even that is brief in duration. Between home and there it's non-stop uninterrupted cruising.

I've noticed it very minutely, if I stare at the tach.

Only noticeable flair that bothers me with my GT-R is the cold 1-2 shift. The converter is not locking early enough. Gone once at operating temp.

How could flair be a result of a locked converter? Flair is similar to slipping as I understand it.

Skyactiv-X Inline 6 Turbo with Rotary range extender mated to Skyactiv 8-speed transmission in RWD centric config expandable to AWD as well. +300HP and +300 Torque averaging 37 combined mpgs. 0-60 in 5.3. Should fit in Mazda6 and CX-9.....maybe CX-5?

^ One could wish LOL

Only noticeable flair that bothers me with my GT-R is the cold 1-2 shift. The converter is not locking early enough. Gone once at operating temp.

How could flair be a result of a locked converter? Flair is similar to slipping as I understand it.

I'm unsure how it works fully in SA transmissions.

I do know my 2015 wouldn't seem to the converter at all until it warmed up in the winter at lower speeds (<40), as goosing it got immediate rpm rise without shifting that did not track with acceleration.

I hadn't seen this thread posted yet, so I thought I'd create it.

The current CX-5 debuted in 2017, so the redesign has not been finalized yet.

This is the busiest CX-5 forum on the internet, so I'd like to compile your suggestions. I'm going to send this to the leadership at MNAO and Mazda Japan in the hopes that maybe the feedback could be taken into consideration for the next generation, from the most engaged CX-5 owners.

So overall having the vehicle for a few months now, I think it is one of the better compact SUVs on the market, and it is the winner of a few comparison tests (wouldn't know it from your advertising, Mazda).

Here's my suggestions for the next one:

1. Cylinder deactivation MUST have a switch to turn it off. I don't want or need this feature, and Mazda can still receive the EPA/equivalent credit. If the system proves problematic in 2019+ models with higher miles, this will be my last Mazda once my lease is up. Mazda is losing potential customers over this "feature," not to mention long term issues. Simply include a switch or software setting to turn it off.

2. Off-road edition, with redesigned front bumper, basic sliders, upgraded suspension, skidplates... 40k+

Yokohama, one of Mazda's tire suppliers, already makes an all terrain tire with good road manners, the Geolandar G015.

ZDvujbr.jpg

3. BSM radar sensors need to be adjustable, they are too sensitive. I use convex mirrors so it doesn't bother me, but it was annoying when I was using this feature.

4. Current advertising is severely lacking, to put it politely. Haven't seen a Mazda print ad in the enthusiast magazines for a long, long time. In the meantime, I suggest advertising on Youtube and seeing how your metrics there work with SUV comparison shoppers. Even though I probably would have test driven the CX-5, that's how Mazda first came onto my radar in my initial car searching. It was a bogus $189 lease offer that requires you to put money down and doesn't include taxes, but it got my attention, I liked the car's styling (Mazda 3) and I started looking more closely at the Mazda range.

5. Trajectory for the backup camera... this has been around for years, it should be on all Mazdas.

First of all, it's an honor to have my CX5 picture posted as the thread starter.
As a 2019 CX5 Signature Owner, these are the list of improvement I would like to see in the all new 2021 or 2022 version. I hope I can get this message to Mazda's leadership. This car is terrific and compares very competitively against the likes of lexus nx, audi q5, mercedez glc300, subaru, etc..

0.) 8 gear transmission for better crusing and efficiency at high speed. Currently, travelling at 60mph requires the engine to stay at 2000 rpm. If I want to cruise faster at, say, 80mph, the engine would have to stay at 2700rpm which reduces the mpg by a lot. If there's an 8th gear or higher which could let the engine stay at 2000rpm while traveling 80mph or so, it would make the car cruise at higher speed without damaging the mpg. The turbo engine is capable enough (with such a torque) to achieve this.

1.) Higher resolution backup camera. Current camera is just sad.

2.) Rear camera washer. During winter or dirty season, rear camera gets dirty way too easy and deemed unusable unless you clean it manually.

3.) Glove box compartment lock for valet.

4.) Increased off-road capability :
a. Increased ground clearance
b. Torque monitor for each wheel
c. Basic skid plates and reduced overhangs
d. Better suspension
e. Well documented wading depth
f. Better positioning of air intake like the range rovers. It's pointed upwards and is well inside the bonnet.
g. Adjustable speedometer corrector for bigger tire.

5.) Better wiper. Current wiper is not usable for winter and quality is not good.

6.) Stronger and better windshield. Current windshield scratches easily

7.) Daytime running light is almost the same as low beam light. Create a separation between the DRL. For example, DRL could be just the halo.

8.) Door opened light at the door. I noticed other cars have a light on the door itself when the door is opened. This is helpful when you pull over on the highway at night and having this light increased the visibility of the door opened and thus increased safety for the driver.

9.) Homelink lights. Currently only the middle green button is light up but the homelink buttons are dark. Signature model carries the same exact gentex rearview mirror as lexus but strangely the homelink buttons do not light up.

10.) More solid driver's side rear view mirror. Driver side rear view mirror vibrates slightly at high speed above 60mph. I confirmed this many times with the mazda dealership but they cannot fix it as it's the normal behavior of other cx5s.

11.) Change the piano black interior with something else that looks upscale but yet more durable.

12.) Larger exhaust tip

13.) Slightly bigger cargo area.

14.) Panoramic sunroof.

15.) Fog light indicator on the tachometer area/lcd meter area. Currently there's no led indicator on the tachometer area for fog lights. There's only a low beam indicator.

16.) Trunk area LED. Current LED position is not bad but sometimes when I am reaching for something in the trunk, I block the LED light with my body and thus making the trunk very dark at night. Place more led lights at better strategic positions.

17.) Retractable cargo cover that does not attach to the rear liftgate.

18.) Wider body stance.

19.) Wider tire.

20.) Better noise insulation. I'm very well aware that mazda has been reducing the road noise more and more but it's still not up to par with luxury brands like lexus. Lexus has a crazy well insulated interior.

21.) Led lights in the center console compartment to better view the inside.

22.) Slightly more bucketed and softer seat.

23.) Better placement of the memory seat button and better programming procedure (for example, the user has to keep pressing the SET button together with the number to actually program the seat). Sometimes the "SET" button got accidentally pressed and when I eventually pressed "1", which I wanted to press in the beginning, the current undesirable setting got memorized. This is because of the bad placement and less lighting in that area.

24.) Faster liftgate operation.

25.) Hands free liftgate operation like the new 2020 CX9's

26.) Increased towing capacity

27.) More package customizability. For example, offroad package, luxury package, etc.. This way, the buyer can pick what they actually want without sacrificing one for the other.

28.) Front hood dampers. This is simple but very useful.

29.) Larger fuel tank capacity. At least 17gal for an SUV because it is meant to be used for longer distance traveling.

30.) TPMS tire pressure for each wheel.

31.) Side view mirror programming with memory seat

32.) Auto dimming side view mirror.

33.) Remote start engine. As an addition, do not stop the engine when the door is opened.

Last edited:
don't forget about keeping the infotainment powered until a car door is opened like most other vehicles. hate it when I stop the engine, but still on a Bluetooth call or want to finish a song...

don't forget about keeping the infotainment powered until a car door is opened like most other vehicles. hate it when I stop the engine, but still on a Bluetooth call or want to finish a song...

Hmm, hadn't thought about that, but you are right. My 1998 Jeep did that (the radio/windows, not the bluetooth heh).

Back