Next Gen CX-5 Design and Content Suggestions

So does anyone know if the 2017+ CX-5 is a mid cycle refresh or is it supposed to be a full redesign of the 2016? If it is a mid cycle refresh, then a full re-design should be coming soon. If it was a full re-design, then its likely they just add a few things to it over the next few years.

So does anyone know if the 2017+ CX-5 is a mid cycle refresh or is it supposed to be a full redesign of the 2016? If it is a mid cycle refresh, then a full re-design should be coming soon. If it was a full re-design, then it*s likely they just add a few things to it over the next few years.

2017 was an all-new redesign, I do not know of many parts that swap between the first and 2nd gen.

I believe the next redesign/model won't be until the CX-50 comes, probably will be announced late 2020, and available early 2021ish.

Last edited:
Dont waste your time sending it to them. They could care less. It was hard enough trying to tell them this stuff when you worked for them lol.
What they need to do is stop trying to waste money on ooo soft touch dash who cars Im not sleeping on it. Put money into the quality of the actual car. Dont be a ignorant company and do what people want not what they think is the best.
Like the heated steering wheel thats only half heated. They push it down your throat oh thats how your should drive with your hands there lol guess what most people dont heat the hole thing. Its stuff like that they lack.
Get rid of any type of infotainment screen put a basic radio. Screens are just a distraction and not needed junk to waste money on.
I have said my bit lol.

Don*t waste your time sending it to them. They could care less. It was hard enough trying to tell them this stuff when you worked for them lol.
What they need to do is stop trying to waste money on ooo soft touch dash who cars I*m not sleeping on it. Put money into the quality of the actual car. Don*t be a ignorant company and do what people want not what they think is the best.
Like the heated steering wheel that*s only half heated. They push it down your throat oh that*s how your should drive with your hands there lol guess what most people don*t heat the hole thing. It*s stuff like that they lack.
Get rid of any type of infotainment screen put a basic radio. Screens are just a distraction and not needed junk to waste money on.
I have said my bit lol.

You mean you worked for Mazda? I haven't.

While it's true to a large extent, suggestions are sometimes implemented. Can't hurt sending it to a few important people. I'd rather have a stronger product if I do buy another Mazda.

add the Panoroof already. I don't care if it takes a hit on performance. I'm sure i'll never feel the difference anyways, not like i'm driving the car to it's limits. Make it an option so potential customers can pick and choose.

btw OP you just opened up a big can of worms...everyone has something to say, and there will be opinions not everyone will agree on.

Last edited:
Almost everything in my interior is jet black. This makes it hard to see things in the dark. I lined the inside of my console with white contact shelf paper. It helps me see whats in there.

I've often commented that for all the nanny devices on these cars, these systems take a universal long-time accessory and turn them into major safety hazards.

I could push the specific station button I wanted (out of 12 presets) without even looking on my prior vehicles, just out of habit/memory. This system lacks instant "blind" selection of a radio preset, requiring me to read a screen merely to change a channel. Sure, Voice Recognition sometimes works, if it's loaded properly and if you're in the right screen...

Last edited:
Sometimes I reach for the temperature control knob to adjust audio level, old habits, lol

Sometimes I reach for the temperature control knob to adjust audio level, old habits, lol

Yup. I've done it.

I still occasionally reach to turn off the ignition/remove the keys, move my arm as though to put the column shift in Park, and pump my left leg trying to apply the parking brake.

I'm surprised I survived going back & forth between my automatic pickup and my manual shift Volvo.

My wish list:

1. Give the car a slightly wider stance and slightly wider tires.
2. Add slightly more rear legroom and cargo space - not much, just a couple inches to make more car seat friendly.
3. Add Mazda3 infotainment, obviously.
4. Add ambient lighting and external lighting (puddle lights, handle lights, etc.)

I*m fine with the engine options and don*t think they need to do much there.

I am in my last year of ownership before replacing the vehicle. It is not likely I am going to get another CX-5, unfortunately. The main reason I bought it back in 2013 was because it had AWD with best handling and best fuel economy. I still want an AWD in the family, but thinking of getting a Subaru Impreza for my wife and drive something more fun.
I think Mazda has to continue to offer lower competitively priced trims, or they will lose business. I will not likely ever get a Signature or even GTR with features I don't need nor want (e.g. my wife hates smell of leather). If I can get a mid-trim CR-V EX for less, I would. Back in 2013, CR-V was hideous. Today, RAV-4 and CR-V are pretty good.

Here is what I think would make the CX-5 better, would make me consider it again:

* Trailing the best in fuel economy. Promise of SkyActiv G squandered somehow, not just in the CX-5, also in the 3. Mazda needs to be same as the best with SkyActiv-G, better with SkyActiv-X.
* Needs to have better quality. My CX-5 had a few quality issues and required few visits to the dealership.
* My 2014 looks better than current gen. Needs to look great again.
* My 2014 shift points, especially when going uphill at 30~35 MPH are not ideal, likes to keep revs at or below 2K, making unrefined sounds and vibrations consistent with engine lugging. Programming should change to avoid this when going uphill.
* Needs more storage below the dash.
* Needs to ace the diagonal test https://youtu.be/xlt11Z4JAB8?t=210 and https://youtu.be/xlt11Z4JAB8?t=494
* The whole point of a crossover is to have better ground clearance. Mine has 8 inches, which is pretty good, compared with only 7.5 in current gen.

I am in my last year of ownership before replacing the vehicle. It is not likely I am going to get another CX-5, unfortunately. The main reason I bought it back in 2013 was because it had AWD with best handling and best fuel economy. I still want an AWD in the family, but thinking of getting a Subaru Impreza for my wife and drive something more fun.
I think Mazda has to continue to offer lower competitively priced trims, or they will lose business. I will not likely ever get a Signature or even GTR with features I don't need nor want (e.g. my wife hates smell of leather). If I can get a mid-trim CR-V EX for less, I would. Back in 2013, CR-V was hideous. Today, RAV-4 and CR-V are pretty good.

Here is what I think would make the CX-5 better, would make me consider it again:

* Trailing the best in fuel economy. Promise of SkyActiv G squandered somehow, not just in the CX-5, also in the 3. Mazda needs to be same as the best with SkyActiv-G, better with SkyActiv-X.
* Needs to have better quality. My CX-5 had a few quality issues and required few visits to the dealership.
* My 2014 shift points, especially when going uphill at 30~35 MPH are not ideal, likes to keep revs at or below 2K, making unrefined sounds and vibrations consistent with engine lugging. Programming should change to avoid this when going uphill.
* Needs more storage below the dash.
* Needs to ace the diagonal test https://youtu.be/xlt11Z4JAB8?t=210 and https://youtu.be/xlt11Z4JAB8?t=494
* The whole point of a crossover is to have better ground clearance. Mine has 8 inches, which is pretty good, compared with only 7.5 in current gen.

Sometimes one wants to try a completely different brand/model even if they had zero issues with their car.

-the current gen has a much better interior quality than the previous one you're getting rid of.
- 2014 looking better than the current gen? that's highly speculative....just like i'm sure everyone thinks their kids are the cutest..

Sub 80 mile EV with Range Extender.
A Plug in Hybrid with 30 mile range + the 2Liter gas engine to supplement.
- PHEV starting around 35K and EV around 40K.
Replace 2.5 G with 2.0 Sky X and keep 2.5T for higher trims.

My wish list:

1. Give the car a slightly wider stance and slightly wider tires.
2. Add slightly more rear legroom and cargo space - not much, just a couple inches to make more car seat friendly.
3. Add Mazda3 infotainment, obviously.
4. Add ambient lighting and external lighting (puddle lights, handle lights, etc.)

I*m fine with the engine options and don*t think they need to do much there.

Agree with wider tires, but the Gen 2 is already wider than the Gen 1. Any wider and this thing won't fit comfortably in my garage anymore.

As for looks/style. All subjective. I subjectively like the external style of the gen 1 much, MUCH more than the Gen 2. That said, when it comes to the interior, the Gen 2 very clearly has better materials, though I don't like some of the design choices and layouts of the Gen 2 (or even later Gen 1's) when compared to my 2014, like the center console, or removal of the hand brake and use of piano black or chrome materials.

I have a cousin who I saw for the first time in years over the holiday. He tows cars for a living now and I asked him about what he sees a lot, and it's always these cars going with electronic parking brakes having issues, or these cars now going with button activated shifters (which I saw and immensely disliked in the GMC Acadia rental we had over the holidays) with no way to get the car into neutral if you have issues. Small things like that. I think some things should remain mechanical.

My thoughts for a CX-5 redesign?

1. Agree, wider tires would be nice.
2. For the non-turbo models with the 2.5L NA, need to bring them up to the levels the Gen 1's are, or surpass it. The 2019 GT loaner I had felt very noticeably sluggish to accelerate (outside of sport mode) compared to my 2014 (which doesn't have a sport mode). I personally don't think the slight bump in hp between the Gen 1 and 2 are fully accounting for the added weight of the NVH improvements of the Gen 2.
3. The newest infotainment (from the 3).
4. Style wise, redesign the front grill and hood overhang. I think it looks awful personally, like a hillbilly overbite.

Last edited:
Back