Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Next Gen CX-5 Design and Content Suggestions

2019 Mazda CX-5 AWD

Next Gen CX-5 Design and Content Suggestions

I hadn't seen this thread posted yet, so I thought I'd create it.

The current CX-5 debuted in 2017, so the redesign has not been finalized yet.

This is the busiest CX-5 forum on the internet, so I'd like to compile your suggestions. I'm going to send this to the leadership at MNAO and Mazda Japan in the hopes that maybe the feedback could be taken into consideration for the next generation, from the most engaged CX-5 owners.

So overall having the vehicle for a few months now, I think it is one of the better compact SUVs on the market, and it is the winner of a few comparison tests (wouldn't know it from your advertising, Mazda).

Here's my suggestions for the next one:

1. Cylinder deactivation MUST have a switch to turn it off. I don't want or need this feature, and Mazda can still receive the EPA/equivalent credit. If the system proves problematic in 2019+ models with higher miles, this will be my last Mazda once my lease is up. Mazda is losing potential customers over this "feature," not to mention long term issues. Simply include a switch or software setting to turn it off.

2. Off-road edition, with redesigned front bumper, basic sliders, upgraded suspension, skidplates... 40k+

Yokohama, one of Mazda's tire suppliers, already makes an all terrain tire with good road manners, the Geolandar G015.

3. BSM radar sensors need to be adjustable, they are too sensitive. I use convex mirrors so it doesn't bother me, but it was annoying when I was using this feature.

4. Current advertising is severely lacking, to put it politely. Haven't seen a Mazda print ad in the enthusiast magazines for a long, long time. In the meantime, I suggest advertising on Youtube and seeing how your metrics there work with SUV comparison shoppers. Even though I probably would have test driven the CX-5, that's how Mazda first came onto my radar in my initial car searching. It was a bogus $189 lease offer that requires you to put money down and doesn't include taxes, but it got my attention, I liked the car's styling (Mazda 3) and I started looking more closely at the Mazda range.

5. Trajectory for the backup camera... this has been around for years, it should be on all Mazdas.
    Last edited by Chocolate; 11-23-2019 at 05:45 PM.

2019 Mazda CX-5 AWD

Oh yeah, and the factory hitch is a solid piece, but it could be located higher on the rear subframe on the next one so as not to compromise ground clearance.

Here's the factory hitch on an Audi Q5. Clean and integrated.

Last edited by Chocolate; 11-23-2019 at 12:19 PM.

Registered Member

Love the car, but here's my list, in no particular order, after a month of owning a GT ... they may seem minor nitpicks, but they just bug me:

1. Install power off button for the radio/infotainment. Update infotainment software and GUI, particularly so time and compass can be displayed on dark screen.

2. Eliminate piano black trim for exterior/interior.

3. Place headlight icon higher up on dash ... it's too low since it's covered by steering wheel hump.

4. Beep when headlights are left on.

5. Install switch allowing interior center dome light to remain on while front map lights are off.

6. Use better quality tires.

7. Install switches allowing tailgate and dimming feature on rearview mirror to be operated manually.

8. Put lock on glovebox.

9. Window switches should be illuminated at night.

10. Increase interior storage in front (e.g., nooks and crannies). Increase size of center storage console and make it adjustable.

11. Improve quality of rear view camera.

Registered Member

CX5 GT-R

Introduce a 6 cylinder turbo or use a dsg to get the 4 cylinder into the powerband.
    Wider tires, not taller.
    Figure out how to improve the near 60/40 weight distribution
    Biggers better brakes.

Basically, make it a Japanese Sq5 for about $45k.

Registered Member

Also ... #12 - illuminate homelink buttons.

Registered Member

'14 Mazda CX-5 GT

Quote Originally Posted by Unobtanium View Post
    Introduce a 6 cylinder turbo or use a dsg to get the 4 cylinder into the powerband.
    Wider tires, not taller.
    Figure out how to improve the near 60/40 weight distribution
    Biggers better brakes.

Basically, make it a Japanese Sq5 for about $45k.
    I'd be a buyer. Like you, I'm seeing too many compromises in the current CX-5 GTR/Signature. It's a sensible compromise if you like driving, but a compromise none the less. I don't think I'll be happy until there's a X3 M40i in my garage.

2019 Mazda CX-5 AWD

I'd be happy with an available NA V6 or I6. The Rav4 V6 from 10 years ago is about as fast as the top trim CX. Mazda is a smaller company and focuses on a smaller number of engines, but you never know if there is in fact a 6 cyl engine in development.

Registered Member

CX5 GT-R

Quote Originally Posted by jcrout7992 View Post
    I'd be a buyer. Like you, I'm seeing too many compromises in the current CX-5 GTR/Signature. It's a sensible compromise if you like driving, but a compromise none the less. I don't think I'll be happy until there's a X3 M40i in my garage.
    My only issue is the BMW tax. In my opinion, it's just too high for what you're getting. We need a capable SUV from Japan so it's not in the shop all the time.

Registered Member

2017 Mazda CX-5 Touring

The next gen CX-5 should have three power train options for the North American market:

1) Skyactiv-X (with no Cylinder Deactivation)
    2) Hybrid
    3) Plug in hybrid.

I also suggest they move to an 8-speed automatic transmission.

2019 Mazda CX-5 AWD

Quote Originally Posted by DrElectron View Post
    The next gen CX-5 should have three power train options for the North American market:

1) Skyactiv-X (with no Cylinder Deactivation)
    2) Hybrid
    3) Plug in hybrid.

I also suggest they move to an 8-speed automatic transmission.
    IMO, they'll need to skip conventional hybrids and go straight to plug in hybrids and EVs, in addition to continuing to develop gasoline engines, to remain competitive. A version of the upcoming Rav4 coming out less than 1 year (Summer 2020) will offer a version with 39 mile claimed EV range.

2017 Mazda CX-5 GT, 2016 Mazda6 iGT, 2014 Mazda3 sGT hatchback

I personally like the MX-30 direction.
    EV + rotary engine for range extension.
    My commute is about 16 miles one way. All I need is a 50-mile range EV.
    Why would I haul a heavy and costly battery around? It is a waste of energy.
    100-mile range (w/ 35KWh) is plenty for most people using it for commute.
    If needed, the range extension is available to go for long trip.
    No range anxiety.

Rotary engine is perfect for working as a generator.
    Little vibration, compact, and work well at fixed RPM.
    Mazda has expertise on rotary technology.

I expect the MSRP to be $45K (CX-5 size), and will cost $37,500 after fed rebate.
    (not to mention more rebate from state)
    Last edited by ceric; 11-23-2019 at 06:01 PM.
    2016 Mazda6 iGT + Tech Pkg
    ....Sonic Silver Mica / Parchment
    2014 Mazda3 sGT hatchback
    ....Soul Red Metallic / Almond

Registered Member

'14 Mazda CX-5 GT

Quote Originally Posted by Unobtanium View Post
    My only issue is the BMW tax. In my opinion, it's just too high for what you're getting. We need a capable SUV from Japan so it's not in the shop all the time.
    Basically what was anticipated from the RDX, but with better actual performance. Acura customers have been complaining about absentee performance as well. Seems like nearly everyone is unable to replicate their published acceleration times. To me, the X3 M40i appears to be the minimum point of entry to get a TRUE sporting CUV. Compromises being up front cost, and reliability compared to the Japanese brands. Although, long-term quality holds up better in the BMW.

Registered Member

'14 Mazda CX-5 GT

Quote Originally Posted by Chocolate View Post
    IMO, they'll need to skip conventional hybrids and go straight to plug in hybrids and EVs, in addition to continuing to develop gasoline engines, to remain competitive. A version of the upcoming Rav4 coming out less than 1 year (Summer 2020) will offer a version with 39 mile claimed EV range.
    I agree. For Mazda's sake I hope their small share in Toyota buys them access to their PHEV technology. I'm anxiously awaiting some reviews on that upcoming RAV4 PHEV.

Registered Member

Mazda CX 5 GT-R

Give me an N/A V6 with 300 HP and at least 320 ft/lbs of torque. A 7 speed transmission would be good, although with as much torque as the current 2.5L turbo has it does just fine with a 6 speed. No need for an 8 speed, it would just be hunting gears all the time.
    Do away with the piano finish interior trim and redesign the HVAC controls so they can be used without taking your eyes off the road. Find a better audio vendor than Bose. Not impressed with the last 3 cars that I have owned with Bose systems.
    Redesign the AWD system to give more bias towards the rear wheels as a car should be. I don't care much one way or another about the size of the infotainment screen, parking assist and other gimmicks. Give me a drivers car and not one made to impress millenials with gadgets.

Registered Member

Soon to be 2.5T CX-5

Quote Originally Posted by jcrout7992 View Post
    I'd be a buyer as well. But, in it's current state, the CX-5 GTR/Sig is fading fast off my list of next cars. I too, absolutely love the x3 M40i and have put one through the ringers and it is fun and quite quick and handles well, however, I don't think I can break down and buy one, plus the options are ridiculous. As time goes buy, I'm leaning towards a used Macan Turbo in my garage, and hoping to steal a gently used one at a great price. I'd rather buy something new though, so here's to hoping.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast