2020 Car & Driver 10 Best Car & Truck List

I came across this article on Car & Driver's long-term road test of a Signature.

Here's an excerpt:

The longest trip was an 800-mile weekend journey by testing director Dave VanderWerp, who was unimpressed by the CX-5's driver-assist technology. The absence of lane centering means that when the CX-5 begins to wander from its lane, it doesn't automatically correct and nudge the car back to safety. The CX-5 just buzzes, which isn't as much help compared to some of its cheaper rivals with similar assistance tech.

So the C&D Testing Director says the CX-5 Signature has Lane Departure Warning but not Lane Keep Assist...and not only did the author repeat it as fact, it got through their editing.

I came across this article on Car & Driver's long-term road test of a Signature.

Here's an excerpt:

So the C&D Testing Director says the CX-5 Signature has Lane Departure Warning but not Lane Keep Assist...and not only did the author repeat it as fact, it got through their editing.

It has it, but it's so wimpy compared to some others that his statement is only half wrong.

I'd almost argue it doesn't have it, it's so bloody iffy. Functionally, it does not have it. Technically...whatever.

True enough. And if it really did have it, it would be off permanently in my car. I don't mind the reminder, but don't let it try to take control.

True enough. And if it really did have it, it would be off permanently in my car. I don't mind the reminder, but don't let it try to take control.

I'm the same way. I've had my car since March and have never even experimented with this feature.

The reminder's OK but probably the least beneficial of the safety/convenience features. It doesn't help that most of the roads in my area lack pavement markings.

It works pretty well in my 2019. It will definitely correct the steering wheel if you continue to ignore it (one benefit of an EPS system). I saw a comparison where the reviewer stated the constant beeping (in a Rav4) was more annoying than the more subtle steering wheel vibration Mazda uses. I'd have to agree.

It works pretty well in my 2019. It will definitely correct the steering wheel if you continue to ignore it (one benefit of an EPS system). I saw a comparison where the reviewer stated the constant beeping (in a Rav4) was more annoying than the more subtle steering wheel vibration Mazda uses. I'd have to agree.

I haven't tried the steering wheel vibration yet. I keep the Rumble Sound on. I think it was a great idea to use a universally recognized sound for that warning. In modern cars, chimes and beeps can indicate so many things (I recently had a passenger forget to buckle her seat belt and it drove me nuts trying to figure out what the chime was for), but that rumble means only one thing.

Back