2013~2016 Command Knob Issue - Won't Scroll on Rotate

tollberg

:
2016 Mazda CX-5 Touring AWD, Formerly 2004 RX-8 Grand Touring
Hi all, just purchased a 2016 CX-5 Touring AWD yesterday and I'm just getting to know the details of the car. Expect this forum will be a big help.

Right off the bat I found an issue when trying to get accustomed to the infotainment system. The Command knob isn't working correctly, it will click left/right/up/down just fine but when I try to turn the knob to scroll through a list, or on the radio station dial, it just jumps back and forth left-right very quickly between whatever two options it is nearest. I can't use it at all to change the radio station.

Any ideas? I did some searching on the forum and wasn't able to find anything similar. Don't know if it could be a software issue, I'm going to check the firmware level after work since I'm considering the Apple Carplay retrofit anyways. Looks like a replacement control switch is around $150-200 online so I'm hoping I don't need a new one of those. Might just live with clicking around at that point.

Thanks!

GUI(graphical user interface) has an attribute called *focus*.
You need to put the focus on the list so that you can traverse up and down.
To do that, you need to click somehow to put focus on that list.
Otherwise, the focus remains at the previous stage, so it goes left and right.
Does this make sense to you?

Wow, I own a 2018 CX-5 and none of that makes sense to me. ceric can you explain a little more?
tollberg I'll guess your command knob is not working properly. Could be software. Not suggesting this to you but if was me I'd disconnect battery for a minute , then reconnect (re boot)and hope for the best.

I*ve had a cx-5 with the command knob since 2015, and I have no idea what this means. It makes no sense. Either the knob works correctly or it doesn*t.

That is a great way to explain it. I was wondering how I was going to word it...(bow)

To test if the rotation of the command knob operates, go to the radio, FM or AM, and go to the manual tuning knob.
When you rotate the command knob does the dial on the screen rotate?

I am picking up what youre putting down ceric, but I dont think I explained the issue well. Its not that it wont scroll up and down a list, its that whether the focus is on a list or on a side to side menu (like the home screen) when I rotate the dial it doesnt keep moving in one direction. It just goes back-and-forth between what is currently highlighted and the option next to it, and then back. I can turn right continuously and it just keeps going right-left-right-left between those two forever.

Mazdadude, no it doesnt work with the FM manual tuning. Thats the most annoying part, using voice commands to get around that for now.

I could try a hard reset, but Im planning on upgrading the firmware anyway so maybe Ill just do that and see if it changes.

Back