Could really use some advice about my new CX-5 please

From a view of keeping my 16 CX5 till 150K miles this is what I have on my plate excluding consumables like filter and brake pads / fluid etc.
1. TX drain and fill - twice with 2k miles gap in between.
2. Coolant as needed.
3. Walnut blasting for carbon deposits.
4. Spark plugs

I have seen video of Felixd who posts great videos on YT about # 3 but I have not seen it discussed a lot over here. Also from his video the deposits were rather loose and easy to get rid of and I don't think he needed more than a wire brush and a specific carbon cleaner. I would not worry at 52K miles. And for your Transmission I would do the Transmission drain and fill at 75-85K miles.

I might be one of the few that did FelixDs method. I poo-pood on ever needing to do it but I did it anyway for grins and giggles. My intake valves looked exactly like his. Gunk was soft and came off easy with chemicals with about 70k miles on the clock. 90% of my driving was sustained 55mph or higher for 20-30 minutes to work. Walnut blasting would have been overkill for my car but YMMV. I wont do it again. Installed new manifold gaskets while the intake was off for good measure.

My throttle body was pretty clean. It had a thin lacquer/discoloration that looked like dry gas. No carbon or dark residue. Cleaned it up nice with throttle body cleaner and put on a new gasket there too. Sprayed the MAF with MAF cleaner too just to be on the safe side but that looked spotless too.

I might be one of the few that did FelixDs method. I poo-poo*d on ever needing to do it but I did it anyway for grins and giggles. My intake valves looked exactly like his. Gunk was soft and came off easy with chemicals with about 70k miles on the clock. 90% of my driving was sustained 55mph or higher for 20-30 minutes to work. Walnut blasting would have been overkill for my car but YMMV. I won*t do it again. Installed new manifold gaskets while the intake was off for good measure.

My throttle body was pretty clean. It had a thin lacquer/discoloration that looked like dry gas. No carbon or dark residue. Cleaned it up nice with throttle body cleaner and put on a new gasket there too. Sprayed the MAF with MAF cleaner too just to be on the safe side but that looked spotless too.

With the Gunk being so soft - I am not sure if something like a CRC cleaner would be preferable. Or if some occasional spirited driving would keep it clean. Yeah I am planning to drop # 3 as well unless I notice some mpg and power drop. So far at 33K miles - unless its too cold or 95F or higher I don't see any major drop in power.

You guys are awesome, thank you so very much for your advice, I really appreciate it

- I paid $14.5k for the car, $2k less than when they listed it 50 days ago - it was an excellent deal AFAICT
- called Mazda Corp and they said it was covered under the powertrain warrantee because of "rough and noisy shifting" - it has the remaining 5yr/60k on that and I'm pretty happy with that
- Took it to a solid garage, they looked the whole thing over and urged me to do an injection cleaning, rear brake pads, and air filter (shame on the seller AutoNation) - they said the trans looked solid, the car was good and they would totally buy the car
- The garage, and all of you, said I should feel confidence, so I feel good to keep the car

Thank you very much, I appreciate it - I'll pick the car up soon with the service done for filter, injections, pads - and I'll feel confidence I have a great car

Thanks!

Carl

What is their reasoning about cleaning the injectors? I wonder, how would they clean them?

Back