302hp RAV4

Revisiting price.

An XSE runs from roughly $35K to $38K. This will have a $7,500 credit. Guaranteed $43 to $45K sticker on that alone. Who knows what an SE will go for but it sounds like a loaded XLE, which I think tops out at about $34/$35K*. If the SE is like a base XLE Hybrid then maybe it's $31K + $8K, meaning about $39K. So do the math with the credit. It may not hit $50 like I predicted earlier, but it's going above $40 for the XSE, at least.

* Toyota pricing is weird. They package the hell out of their cars so it's hard to price compare when you can end up with lower trims costing more than higher trims based on packages. Mazda, comparatively, is super easy to figure out.

Last edited:
Mazda owns 5% of Toyota and Toyota owns 5% of Mazda. A lot more capital from Mazda.

The MX-30 uses Mazda developed electrification technology. Future models will use tech from Toyota.

I'm excited to see the new inline 6 Skyactiv-X RWD platform. Lexus is likely to use that platform too.

Just to clarify (and I cannot find the facts right now), Mazda does not own 5% of Toyota stock. That would be $10B USD. Mazda's ownership stake in Toyota (as a % of shares outstanding) is way, way less that Toyota's stake in Mazda. I wish I could recall where I saw the specifics...

Revisiting price.

An XSE runs from roughly $35K to $38K. This will have a $7,500 credit. Guaranteed $43 to $45K sticker on that alone. Who knows what an SE will go for but it sounds like a loaded XLE, which I think tops out at about $34/$35K*. If the SE is like a base XLE Hybrid then maybe it's $31K + $8K, meaning about $39K. So do the math with the credit. It may not hit $50 like I predicted earlier, but it's going above $40 for the XSE, at least.

* Toyota pricing is weird. They package the hell out of their cars so it's hard to price compare when you can end up with lower trims costing more than higher trims based on packages. Mazda, comparatively, is super easy to figure out.

Youre absolutely right about the different packages. I have an XLE Premium, which is an XLE with SofTex interior. But I have the weather package for heated steering wheel and seats. But I dont have the Entune Premium with JBL speakers, just plain radio. It made it confusing as hell to shop and price lol.

The only perk to the gas version is you can get them for thousands below MSRP due to the availability and success of the hybrid versions. Cant negotiate those suckers down to invoice or less right now.

Youre absolutely right about the different packages. I have an XLE Premium, which is an XLE with SofTex interior. But I have the weather package for heated steering wheel and seats. But I dont have the Entune Premium with JBL speakers, just plain radio. It made it confusing as hell to shop and price lol.

The only perk to the gas version is you can get them for thousands below MSRP due to the availability and success of the hybrid versions. Cant negotiate those suckers down to invoice or less right now.

Well, had a chance to sit in a RAV4 today. It's a no-go. The SE, sans moonroof would probably clear the head with enough room, but even then it's tight in there. I had to contort a bit to get in. It's too bad, the RAV4 is the kind of car I'd be looking for but if you can't fit, you can't fit.

Well, had a chance to sit in a RAV4 today. It's a no-go. The SE, sans moonroof would probably clear the head with enough room, but even then it's tight in there. I had to contort a bit to get in. It's too bad, the RAV4 is the kind of car I'd be looking for but if you can't fit, you can't fit.

Hang on, all I keep hearing about is how the Rav4 has so much more space than the CX-5? : )

But but but, itll be faster than what weve payed for!!! XD

I wonder how consistent that 5.8 seconds is. Is that only while the plug-in battery power still has something in reserve? What happens when those 39 miles run out and it's in regular hybrid mode? Does it only run mid 7's at that point?

I wonder how consistent that 5.8 seconds is. Is that only while the plug-in battery power still has something in reserve? What happens when those 39 miles run out and it's in regular hybrid mode? Does it only run mid 7's at that point?

I don't think it's been actually tested yet, it might just be a projection by Toyota. Even if Toyota claimed 5.8s, I'd want a third-party to test it to alleviate the potential manufacturer bias.

Yeah, that would be worse than the turbo not working when the Mazda gets cold, lol!

What do you think the fully loaded 2021 RAV4 Prime's MSRP will be? 302hp, 0-60 = 5.8, 39mi all electric range, Toyota reliability, 10 yr battery warranty, and basically all the amenities the Signature has to offer.

What do you think the fully loaded 2021 RAV4 Prime's MSRP will be? 302hp, 0-60 = 5.8, 39mi all electric range, Toyota reliability, 10 yr battery warranty, and basically all the amenities the Signature has to offer.

I guess you haven't read the thread? Lots of speculation.

I'm guessing $45K or so, but also qualifying for federal rebate?

I'm guessing $45K or so, but also qualifying for federal rebate?

Sounds about right. I'm thinking it will be in the low 40s, as Toyota can still take advantage of a full $4500 rebate (7500 requires larger battery). They'll also want to sell loaded versions to the early adopters.

Toyota is launching a 3 pronged attack on Mazda, Honda and Subaru with the RAV4:

Honda: Equivalent interior space. Better MPG with PHEV over standard CRV Hybrid. RAV4 offers likely better long term reliability due to no Turbo or cylinder deactivation.

I dont agree that the RAV4 has equivalent interior space to the CR-V. I dont know how Honda does it, but the interior of the CR-V seems bigger than every other compact to me even though the exterior dimensions arent bigger. When I put my daughters rear facing car seat (which is admittedly large) in the new RAV and sat in the seat in front of it, my knees were pressed into the dash hard, and I ruled it out immediately, but the same scenario in the CR-V left me a couple inches of leg room. In the end, I went with the CX-9 though as none of the compacts were quite big enough. Our stroller (also large) didnt easily fit in the cargo area of the Forester, and the CX-5 didnt have enough leg room in the 2nd row (didnt even get to the car seat or stroller tests). But the CR-V was the closest compact to satisfying my interior space requirements.

Last edited:
More and more, I'm liking this rav4 prime. I think I may well keep my cx5 GTR until the 2021 primes are a year or 3 old, and then upgrade to a CPO one. Since I have solar at my house, now, it really makes cents, as well as the enhanced performance and capabilities it offers with ever rising fuel costs.

More and more, I'm liking this rav4 prime. I think I may well keep my cx5 GTR until the 2021 primes are a year or 3 old, and then upgrade to a CPO one. Since I have solar at my house, now, it really makes cents, as well as the enhanced performance and capabilities it offers with ever rising fuel costs.
Check if you can get Toyota Prius Prime in your area first (Missouri? Arkansas? For some reason I always thought you live in Northern Arkansas or at least used to be there?) or you may be disappointed. A special AC wiring in your garage for faster charging is also required which would cost up to $2,000 in California, if your electrical meter and relay panel is big enough to handle the current (meaning not too old).

Back