302hp RAV4

And then you embrace your inner Clark Griswold and do this:
car-deer-middle-finger-BMjPYvYhhVSLu

https://giphy.com/gifs/car-deer-middle-finger-BMjPYvYhhVSLu as image won*t load for me lol.

giphy.gif

Last edited:
Seems to me that Mazda's focus on driving (and the sales of the CX-5) has the other mainstream brands developing models/trims to bring those customers back. Mazda should respond with more innovation in handling/driving experience, as they always have. Likely they will announce a mid-cycle refresh or a new model in late fall 2020 for production in 2021. I'm excited to see what they bring to the table.

Toyota is launching a 3 pronged attack on Mazda, Honda and Subaru with the RAV4:

Mazda: XSE trim Hybrid offers tuned sporty suspension. More aggresive styling on XSE trims. Substantial increase in power and fuel economy over CX-5 Turbo.

Honda: Equivalent interior space. Better MPG with PHEV over standard CRV Hybrid. RAV4 offers likely better long term reliability due to no Turbo or cylinder deactivation.

Subaru: RAV4 has more rugged look, offers AWD with multi-terrain mode and better fuel economy. Likely better long term reliability as well.

They're going for the kill with this new generation RAV4. I personally love it since it forces everyone else to step up their game. It's a win-win for consumers.

Last edited:
Toyota is launching a 3 pronged attack on Mazda, Honda and Subaru with the RAV4:

Mazda: XSE trim Hybrid offers tuned sporty suspension. More aggresive styling on XSE trims. Substantial increase in power and fuel economy over CX-5 Turbo.

Honda: Equivalent interior space. Better MPG with PHEV over standard CRV Hybrid. RAV4 offers likely better long term reliability due to no Turbo or cylinder deactivation.

Subaru: RAV4 has more rugged look, offers AWD with multi-terrain mode and better fuel economy. Likely better long term reliability as well.

They're going for the kill with this new generation RAV4. I personally love it since it forces everyone else to step up their game. It's a win-win for consumers.

RE: Honda, don't forget about Toyota bumping the warranty on their batteries to 10 years/150k. That's a nice move to help alleviate battery replacement concerns.

RE: Subaru, they don't have anything to worry about. Subaru's AWD will always be better, and Toyota's multi-terrain AWD on the RAV4 is nothing more than a gimmick. The CX-5 beats it in a lot of the tests I've seen online, and it does it without multi-terrain select.

Mazda Executives: We have a new font on the rear hatch of the CX-5. We also gave it an extra 10 pounds of torque and fake engine noise. That should be good enough to compete with the CRV and RAV4 Hybrids...

What's the story with fake engine noise? I haven't heard about that.

I'd like a Mazda plug-in hybrid like the CX-5. I don't need more than 200 HP though. Would like a higher towing capacity.

Mazda is not getting something about the US market and the competition...
1) why mazda is avoiding electric drives while having under 30mpg combined? and all other automakers use them nicely?
2) why introduce another subcompact SUV to the US? what about something larger than CX9?
3) why AWD on mazda 3 and not on mazda 6?
4) where is the mazda speed?
5) where is the mazda 6 wagon?
6) why do you have dealerships that are sillling parts for twice as much what the other dealerships charge in a 100mile radius?
7) some dealirships are good but some are worse than midas/carx/anything else
8) oh, and why mazda keeps shoving these 19" (or 20" now?) wheels on cx5/m6 top trims? the ride is crap and the tires are $$$. give the 17" please and stop this low-profile nonsense.

Last edited:
sounds great if iI didn't have to plug it in...

Likely dont have to if you dont want to. When the plug in battery is depleted itll operate as a hybrid vehicle. It would be kind of dumb to spend that premium and not plug it in overnight for the fuel savings on your commute though.

[snip]

Except that Toyota and Mazda are in bed together.

Last I looked, Toyota owns 5% of Mazda's stock.
Mazda's financial statement is full of references to the Toyota/Mazda partnership.
I believe Mazda intends to license Toyota's electric engine technology and incorporate it into Zoom Zoom.

So I'm not certain there is predatory behaviour here...although I may be wrong.

Mazda's financial statement is full of references to the Toyota/Mazda partnership.
I believe Mazda intends to license Toyota's electric engine technology and incorporate it into Zoom Zoom.

Youre not wrong. Mazda is even switching over to Toyota for financing instead of using Chase Bank.

Regarding the comment about 400 miles, more like struggling to get 300. My 2015 lit the gas light a few times before 300 and I don't think I took it above 350 more than a time or two.

Back to the RAV4. On paper this is a beast. PHEV though, well you get that tax credit, but they raise the price by it too. So, you can count on this being at least $45K in XSE trim (wouldn't be unlikely that it hit $48K) and you'll still pay the sales tax and other fees on that $7.5K rebate. For me, PHEV's don't work well because I have an apartment and can't plug them in for charging. I have to take them to a charger which is a pain and while it's not as expensive as gas to charge, it can still run about a 1/3 of the price of gas.

I also wonder what it's like with no engine noise, leaving you with the orchestra of road and wind noise in the RAV4?

On the other hand, sure puts the Diesel CX-5 in it's place. Mazda's in defcon mode with all of these hybrids going up against the only vehicle it can sell.

Mazda owns 5% of Toyota and Toyota owns 5% of Mazda. A lot more capital from Mazda.

The MX-30 uses Mazda developed electrification technology. Future models will use tech from Toyota.

I'm excited to see the new inline 6 Skyactiv-X RWD platform. Lexus is likely to use that platform too.

Cool. This must be why the RAV4 also isn't meant to compete with the Forester. You know, that 20% stake they own in Subaru has totally eliminated RAV4 and Forester competition. I don't see why 5% should fail to do the same with Mazda, yeah?

Don't think it will be that extreme. Probably around $32-35k for the base Prime model if I had to guess.

Wait you think its going to be a sub U.S. 40k car? Are you crazy LOL! That would be a steal. I'd probably get/afford/enjoy one.

Folks thinking MSRP start under 40k (band) vs Folks thinking MSRP starts over 40k (hand)

Let the battle begin!!

Wait you think its going to be a sub U.S. 40k car? Are you crazy LOL! That would be a steal. I'd probably get/afford/enjoy one.

Folks thinking MSRP start under 40k (band) vs Folks thinking MSRP starts over 40k (hand)

Let the battle begin!!

Either way, it won't be the 50k you predicted. ;)

Either way, it won't be the 50k you predicted. ;)

Yeah It was sort of a high prediction:) That said Tesla should be worried once Toyota starts implementing higher output on Lexus models.

Yeah It was sort of a high prediction:) That said Tesla should be worried once Toyota starts implementing higher output on Lexus models.

It will be interesting. Tesla bought out Maxell to gain the ultracapacitor and there was some speculation if it would lock in long range battery tech. Let's hope that other car manufacturers are working strategically on a counter move or advancing battery technology. The thought of having to stop 30 plus minutes to recharge on an interstate drive keeps me from jumping into PHEV. I simply don't have the patience and I like driving at higher speeds, which use up batteries quickly. :)

Here is some latest talk https://electrek.co/2019/10/07/tesla-maxwell-ultracapacitor-business/

It will be interesting. Tesla bought out Maxell to gain the ultracapacitor and there was some speculation if it would lock in long range battery tech. Let's hope that other car manufacturers are working strategically on a counter move or advancing battery technology. The thought of having to stop 30 plus minutes to recharge on an interstate drive keeps me from jumping into PHEV. I simply don't have the patience and I like driving at higher speeds, which use up batteries quickly. :)

Here is some latest talk https://electrek.co/2019/10/07/tesla-maxwell-ultracapacitor-business/

EV: need to plug in and charge when out of juice (no gas engine)
PHEV: switches to hybrid mode and keeps on going when the battery is depleted. No recharge required.

EV: need to plug in and charge when out of juice (no gas engine)
PHEV: switches to hybrid mode and keeps on going when the battery is depleted. No recharge required.

Yes, thanks. I made a couple of errors in that post. I meant EV (CX-5um brought up Tesla EV) for my personal car and it is Maxwell not Maxell that I posted above.

Last edited:
Back