302hp RAV4

:
RDX Aspec Adv.
2021 RAV4 will offer a 302hp version capable of 5.8 to 60, per Toyota. Plug in Hybrid.
Tiguan R is alleged to be around 300hp for 2021.

What's up ZoomZoom? You got somethin for us?

302 hp、0-60 5.8 seconds、90 MPGe、39 miles electrical range、sport-tuned suspension、available in summer 2020? Looks like this 2021 Toyota RAV4 Prime plug-in hybrid electric vehicle (PHEV) is a real thing!

Toyota Prius Prime plug-in hybrid is only available in very few states in the US such as California. But Prius Prime is nowhere close to a performance vehicle. Not sure if Toyota will make this RAV4 Prime available in more areas than Prius Prime.

Gas saving on Prius Prime plug-in hybrid is real. A friend of mine who has a 2017 Prius Prime plug-in hybrid, has only stopped at the gas station ONCE for 9 gallons of gas in his 3+ years of ownership!

What's up ZoomZoom? You got somethin for us?

Mazda Executives: We have a new font on the rear hatch of the CX-5. We also gave it an extra 10 pounds of torque and fake engine noise. That should be good enough to compete with the CRV and RAV4 Hybrids...

Guessing the MSRP is going to be north of $40k. Having just purchased the gas version, I take a little comfort knowing I likely couldnt afford this Prime trim, lol

But but but, itll be faster than what weve payed for!!! XD

Mazda Executives: We have a new font on the rear hatch of the CX-5. We also gave it an extra 10 pounds of torque and fake engine noise. That should be good enough to compete with the CRV and RAV4 Hybrids...

...as long as you drive it above 20 degrees F...

As Mazda and Toyota are increasingly becoming bedfellows, I predict Mazdas answer to the PHEV RAV4 will be some electrified version of a revived CX-7. Im guessing this will be in 2021 and built in the Huntsville Toyota-Mazda plant using shared components. See this older Car and Driver article: https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.caranddriver.com/news/amp28353128/toyota-mazda-suv-alabama-plant/

It doesnt suggest anything about EV components but I believe Mazda getting cozy with Toyota is to play catch up on EV tech. Mazda has the driving enthusiast edge while Toyota has tech and resources.

A nice quiet tranquil drive from busy streets to a dreamy country side in a premium CX-5 with your model wife gazing out the window to grassy pastures and rainbows. :)

Only to have her laugh at you as a rav4 blasts around you on the next straightaway while wirelessly charging their phones and enjoying e90mpg as you struggle to make it 400mi between tanks.

Only to have her laugh at you as a rav4 blasts around you on the next straightaway while wirelessly charging their phones and enjoying e90mpg as you struggle to make it 400mi between tanks.

And then you embrace your inner Clark Griswold and do this:
car-deer-middle-finger-BMjPYvYhhVSLu

https://giphy.com/gifs/car-deer-middle-finger-BMjPYvYhhVSLu as image won*t load for me lol.

Last edited:
Guessing the MSRP is going to be north of $40k. Having just purchased the gas version, I take a little comfort knowing I likely couldn*t afford this Prime trim, lol

Don't think it will be that extreme. Probably around $32-35k for the base Prime model if I had to guess. The Prius Prime isn't that much of an increase over the regular Prius. Plus, with the Rav4 like the Prius, it will be eligible for a the federal rebate. I've seen rumors the battery size is 17.8KW, which I think would make it qualify for the full $7,500 rebate, which will greatly drop the price, below that of even a gas or hybrid version. Same thing is going on for the Prius, the Primes with the rebate are cheaper than the regular version.

Ah, good points with the rebates. Toyota has a lot of room left to qualify. I think 100,000 or so more units before it phases out for them.

Can't you guys ever be happy?

No, you're right. Asking a car manufacturer we like to keep their vehicles updated and offer products we are willing to pay for is waaaaaaay to much. Bring back the 626...amiritefam?

No, you're right. Asking a car manufacturer we like to keep their vehicles updated and offer products we are willing to pay for is waaaaaaay to much. Bring back the 626...amiritefam?

It's not that, it's the continual snowflake whining. Oh, VW is coming out with 300hp, Mazda sucks.

Seems to me that Mazda's focus on driving (and the sales of the CX-5) has the other mainstream brands developing models/trims to bring those customers back. Mazda should respond with more innovation in handling/driving experience, as they always have. Likely they will announce a mid-cycle refresh or a new model in late fall 2020 for production in 2021. I'm excited to see what they bring to the table.

Back