CX-5 New (OEM) Tires Question

:
2019 CX5 Signature
Hi Folks...I have been reading all that I can about the CX-5s as I will be buying a new small SUV soon. As a self confessed tire snob, I have no desire to drive a vehicle with Toyo tires. So my question is this...has anyone been able to get the dealer to agree to put on better tires (Michelin, Continentals, etc.) as part of the negotiating process? Looking for ideas on how to deal with the dealership regarding the sub-par Tokyos. Thanks...

Not very nice to ask for some help while you insult us by telling us our tires are "sub-par Tokyo". All you need to do is ask for advice on getting dealer to change out tires without knocking what 99% of us are driving on everyday while we zoom zoom in our 2019 CX5.

Hi Folks...I have been reading all that I can about the CX-5s as I will be buying a new small SUV soon. As a self confessed tire snob, I have no desire to drive a vehicle with Toyo tires. So my question is this...has anyone been able to get the dealer to agree to put on better tires (Michelin, Continentals, etc.) as part of the negotiating process? Looking for ideas on how to deal with the dealership regarding the sub-par Tokyos. Thanks...

I would think you would get a better return reselling the old ones after you switch them out? Either here, ebay, to a used tire dealer, or even the tire place you get installed at. I doubt the dealer would do anything for you, even though a smart dealer "theoretically", could use your old Toyos to install on to a lease return or CPO.

Yeah, having them change out the tires is a big ask. They'll have to lay out ~$800 and have a set of tires to get rid of. So if you find someone willing to do it, they'll have to make it back up on the selling price. You're better off negotiating the price you want, changing the tires, then selling the OE tires yourself on eBay or Craigslist. Are they really that bad?

The Sport/Touring comes with Yokohamas on 17" alloys, not sure if that's an option or if you're going to go with GT+.

Hi Folks...I have been reading all that I can about the CX-5s as I will be buying a new small SUV soon. As a self confessed tire snob, I have no desire to drive a vehicle with Toyo tires. So my question is this...has anyone been able to get the dealer to agree to put on better tires (Michelin, Continentals, etc.) as part of the negotiating process? Looking for ideas on how to deal with the dealership regarding the sub-par Tokyo*s. Thanks...

You're on the money about the A36 being trash.

That said, I used to work for a dealership, and Bluebird nailed it: Anything is negotiable. One time, I had a customer want to buy a specific truck (brand new) from me, but he wanted leather in it (it had cloth). We had the entire interior re-done with leather for him and he was quite pleased. The only leather interior Ford XL F150 I know of, lol!

You're on the money about the A36 being trash.

I agree about the Toyo A36. They ride beautifully when new but wear out unusually fast. It is a little know fact that some/many car manufactures, including Mazda get tire manufacturers (like Toyo) to make tires especially for them to certain specs. In our case the A36 is made to ride and grip beautifully, and quiet, BUT, the tradeoff is that because of how it is designed for Mazda it wears out more quickly than the same model of tire you would buy from a Toyo dealer.

Thank you for the replies guys. I appreciate you taking the time to offer your thoughts. ��

Not very nice to ask for some help while you insult us by telling us our tires are "sub-par Tokyo". All you need to do is ask for advice on getting dealer to change out tires without knocking what 99% of us are driving on everyday while we zoom zoom in our 2019 CX5.

Please explain how stating that a mediocre Toyo tire is sub-par insults you. I*m sorry that you did not know that Toyo (A23, A36) tires consistently receive ratings/scores below average...but they do. They are sub-par when compared to brands such as Michelin, Continental, Bridgestone, etc., etc. Do yourself a favor and go do some tire research...my guess is that once you get educated and experience driving on good tires, you won*t be happy your OEM supplied Toyos.

I would live with the Toyo's for 15k then buy whatever you think best. I have 25k on the Toyo's and they're holding up fine, bite the road and handle fine in rain/snow/slush.
Although they're starting to get a little noisy.
I have 25k on them now and they still have about 8k left. I'll replace them in the spring with a set of Michelins Premier.

I would live with the Toyo's for 15k then buy whatever you think best. I have 25k on the Toyo's and they're holding up fine, bite the road and handle fine in rain/snow/slush.
Although they're starting to get a little noisy.
I have 25k on them now and they still have about 8k left. I'll replace them in the spring with a set of Michelins Premier.

Agreed. This is a good fall-back position. Thanks for posting.

I don't like the Toyos either and am looking for replacements. I went on Michelin's website - the reviews for Premier on cx-5 are terrible there. It looks like they are now offering Primacy, perhaps in response. Any thoughts on that? My mechanic is suggesting the Generals but I am partial to Michelins.

The Toyo's are actually a superb summer tire for the CX-5 when new, but they wear out way too quickly as we all know. I would drive it with the Toyo's on for 10K miles so you know what the CX-5 is capable of (which is a lot - it's a hell of a vehicle). If you drive them until they are worn out, then hell yeah, anything is an improvement. But if you replace them early enough you'll have a better understanding of how your new tires compare to what the CX-5 can do with the Toyo's while they are still in their "prime". The low ratings for the Toyo's, IMO, is because they wear out fast and the handling degrades over time as they wear.

I don't like the Toyos either and am looking for replacements. I went on Michelin's website - the reviews for Premier on cx-5 are terrible there. It looks like they are now offering Primacy, perhaps in response. Any thoughts on that? My mechanic is suggesting the Generals but I am partial to Michelins.
The UTQG on Toyo A23 / A36 is 300 A A so dont expect too much on its tread life over 30,000 miles.

General AltiMAX RT43 has good value, and many here have used it and like it. And its the lightest tire for the size at 24.4 lbs.

Michelin Premier LTX has 620 A A UTQG and only 8.5/32 tread depth when new, and IMO all Michelins are overpriced with lesser tread life than most others.

Newly available for the size, Michelin Primacy Tour A/S tire has 540 A A UTQG and 9/32 tread depth. The specs say its a worse tire than Premier LTX.

Another newly available Michelin Pilot Sport 4 SUV tire has 220 A A UTQG and 9.5/32 tread depth. Its a very soft sport tire and most people wont like its very short tread life, about 22,000 miles.

225/55R19 Tire Comparison Table for CX-5 GT - Many to Choose From

The UTQG on Toyo A23 / A36 is 300 A A so dont expect too much on its tread life over 30,000 miles.

General AltiMAX RT43 has good value, and many here have used it and like it. And its the lightest tire for the size at 24.4 lbs.

Michelin Premier LTX has 620 A A UTQG and only 8.5/32 tread depth when new, and IMO all Michelins are overpriced with lesser tread life than most others.

Newly available for the size, Michelin Primacy Tour A/S tire has 540 A A UTQG and 9/32 tread depth. The specs say its a worse tire than Premier LTX.

Another newly available Michelin Pilot Sport 4 SUV tire has 220 A A UTQG and 9.5/32 tread depth. Its a very soft sport tire and most people wont like its very short tread life, about 22,000 miles.

Thanks for the info prior two posters. It's helpful. I'm going to have to make a decision soon. 30K, little tread left and winter coming!

Hopefully, Michelin releases Defender LTX soon.

I got Michelin Premier LTX's for my previous CX-5 after the Toyo's wore out, and I absolutely loved how those Michelin's performed. I'd get the Michelin's again in a heartbeat, when the Toyo's on my new CX-5 wear out, unless of course Michelin comes out with something better in the next few years.

Last edited:
I think you should drive the car with those inferior tires, before you start carping about things you know nothing about.

I think you should drive the car with those inferior tires, before you start carping about things you know nothing about.

If you took the time to read my post I DID say that I would drive on my Toyo's until they wear out, THEN look at Michelin Premier LTX's once again. Have you ever had the Premier LTX's? If not, I would say that you are the one who doesn't know what he's talking about!!

Who are you referring to? I*m curious what performance cars and tires you are familiar with? I*d guess not many, based on your response, but I*d be interested in hearing your thoughts. Oh, and by the way...I do know about tires, lol.

Back