CX-5 New (OEM) Tires Question

I'm running General Rt43s and very happy with them at ~ 24,000 miles. Outstanding in our rainy season. I found the Toyos to be OK but, short lived for this easy driver. Ed

I tried to ask my dealer to change the tires as well when I purchased mine but the request was denied and at that time I also planned to replace Toyo's earlier than needed w/ better ones.

If you took the time to read my post I DID say that I would drive on my Toyo's until they wear out, THEN look at Michelin Premier LTX's once again. Have you ever had the Premier LTX's? If not, I would say that you are the one who doesn't know what he's talking about!!

Yes, I had a set of Premier LTX on my '15. Beyond that, my reply was not to you. Oversensitive much?

Who are you referring to? I*m curious what performance cars and tires you are familiar with? I*d guess not many, based on your response, but I*d be interested in hearing your thoughts. Oh, and by the way...I do know about tires, lol.

You.

After the OEM Toyos, I installed Michelin Premier LTX. They appeared like they would wear longer than the OEM Toyos.

I'll not post my auto CV, but it begins with Mustangs, Miatas, turbo things and SCCA Autocross.

Lol, so now you (ColtX-5) agree with me that Michelin (and many other tire brands) is better than Toyo? I can respect the fact that you have some track related experience, but certainly don’t have any love for the Toyos on my CX-5...and I’ve only had them for a week. I will drive them for a while and then replace them. And while I don’t expect this Mazda to handle anywhere near my 911, ‘Vette, or even the GTI I just traded in...I do expect the tires to ADD to the driving experience...and the Toyos don’t.

If Toyo could only modify their tread compound to make the A36 last longer I'd stick with that tire as I absolutely love how it currently performs (while the tread lasts) !!

With tires there is always a tradeoff between performance and tread life. You won't find any high performing tires that last 50K miles, if they do then the last 25K miles will be on a much harder rubber compound and performance will not be what it was for the first 25K miles.

Hated the Toyo A36 and just swapped them out after only 1000 miles. Awful in rain and snow. Went with Conti Crosscontact LX25.

Drive to a Michelin dealer and buy what you want. I have heard that tire dealers will buy your new, take offs at a fair price. I have read that your " High end" Micheline tires have dry rot issuess with some modelsl and low end TOYOs don't. Ed

It is a suv and not a racing car. Toyos are fine. You can always change them after few thousand km when they start to wear out. Use your bargaining power for some other thing in the car. This is what I would do.

Drive to a Michelin dealer and buy what you want. I have heard that tire dealers will buy your new, take offs at a fair price. I have read that your " High end" Micheline tires have dry rot issuess with some modelsl and low end TOYOs don't. Ed
Yes, this’s my experience on one of the new Michelin’s with dry rot issue on the sidewall after 4 years. Michelin refused to take care of it and claimed it’s normal. Would never buy another set of Michelin’s unless the price is right and the review is good.

My Altimax RT43s have done 12K miles. They were not very confidence inspiring early on but once set they are a good performing tire. But I do agree that 65K miles (warranty) on these means that the last 20-30K miles of that lifespan would be with less grip and wont be able to push it hard in rain / snow - already feeling a bit of it. Plus the 2.5NA is very sensitive to temperature variances - coarse during winter mornings and pulls too much power on 95F+ days. But for value of money I think it should do ok. I am going in for a tire change so will know about tread ware soon.

My Altimax RT43s have done 12K miles. They were not very confidence inspiring early on but once set they are a good performing tire. But I do agree that 65K miles (warranty) on these means that the last 20-30K miles of that lifespan would be with less grip and wont be able to push it hard in rain / snow - already feeling a bit of it. Plus the 2.5NA is very sensitive to temperature variances - coarse during winter mornings and pulls too much power on 95F+ days. But for value of money I think it should do ok. I am going in for a tire change so will know about tread ware soon.
Did you add 2~3 psi sbove the recommended 34 psi on your 225/65R17 102H RT43’s?

I put 36 psi on all 4 tires. Having said that I need to do a tire pressure update.

I vaguely remember that the manual with my Gen 1 suggested putting in an extra 2-3 lbs of air in your tires during the colder winter months. Now I don't see that in my Gen 2 manual. I asked my COSTCO tire rep about this and they said that they don't need to bump up the winter tire pressures as they use nitrogen, which has negligible expansion or contraction. BUT, like you I have opted to add 1 extra lb of air from Mazda's recommendation of 35 lbs in my GT, up to 36 lbs during the winter.

I vaguely remember that the manual with my Gen 1 suggested putting in an extra 2-3 lbs of air in your tires during the colder winter months. Now I don't see that in my Gen 2 manual. I asked my COSTCO tire rep about this and they said that they don't need to bump up the winter tire pressures as they use nitrogen, which has negligible expansion or contraction. BUT, like you I have opted to add 1 extra lb of air from Mazda's recommendation of 35 lbs in my GT, up to 36 lbs during the winter.

This old chestnut comes up again and again, and is completely untrue. Nitrogen follows the Ideal Gas Law, just like any other gas.

Here's a quote from a site that actually did experiments on this:

Through a 128ºF temperature swing from -11ºF to 117ºF all gas samples showed virtually an identical pressure increase of 17 PSI from 40 PSI to 57 PSI. For an automotive tire this temperature delta represents an extreme real-life case but it shows that the Ideal Gas Law formula does apply to these gases and when it comes to thermal pressure stability none has any apparent advantage over the other.

On my 2016 CX-5 GT I had Michelin Defender LTX 255-50-19 OE rims. No issues at all.
With 255/55R19 tires on your Michelin Defender LTX M/S, your speedometer and odometer will be off a bit as the tires are a bit larger at 29” overall diameter. The “measuring rim width” is 8” on your Defender LTX M/S instead of 7” for OEM tire size which affects the tire section width and at the minimum rim width with 7” OE rims.. The worst is the 33 lbs. weight on your Defender LTX M/S which is 4~5 lbs heavier than OE Toyo A36/A23’s.

On my OE Toyo A23 225/55R19’s I did notice some rubbing marks to the front struts while I was doing the tire rotation.

The reason I asked Kaps about adding a couple of more psi is because most General AltiMax RT43 users have found that’d have much better performance. Recommended tire pressure is mostly for OEM tires. Different tires may need different tire pressure to have the best performance for the same vehicle.

Back