Spare tire

If you do replace your spare with the correct size, keep in mind that you can sell your old one to certain Kia and Hyundai owners. The spare that is too small for our CX-5s is the right size for some of their vehicles and some of their vehicles did not come with a spare. The bolt pattern and bore size of Mazdas is the same as on Kias and Hyundais. The wheel offset is super close too (50 vs 46), so basically they fit. I sold my spare for $30 to a guy with a 2013 Kia Optima that did not come with a spare.

So the factory supplied jack will lift both the front & rear wheels on one side off the ground at the same time so that the rear tire can be moved to the front position and the donut spare then installed on the rear ? I sure wouldn't want to try this anywhere other than on a smooth, level concrete or asphalt surface. On a dirt shoulder somewhere ? I'm calling either Mazda or Geico roadside assistance.
No, factory scissor jack can only lift one corner at a time. Yes, its very dangerous to change the tire on dirt shoulder of the interstate highway. I had a couple of experiences to do this when I had the blow-out from my Michelin many years ago, and I wouldnt do it twice changing the tires if I had the flat at front. Put the mini spare at front and run to a closest tire shop under 55 mph.

If you do replace your spare with the correct size, keep in mind that you can sell your old one to certain Kia and Hyundai owners. The spare that is too small for our CX-5s is the right size for some of their vehicles and some of their vehicles did not come with a spare. The bolt pattern and bore size of Mazdas is the same as on Kias and Hyundais. The wheel offset is super close too (50 vs 46), so basically they fit. I sold my spare for $30 to a guy with a 2013 Kia Optima that did not come with a spare.
Good to know.

But I think its harder to find a correct-sized mini spare, and most likely its over 10 years old and needs to get a new donut tire to replace for safety reason.

But I think it*s harder to find a correct-sized mini spare, and most likely it*s over 10 years old and needs to get a new donut tire to replace for safety reason.

You may not remember my original post from 2 years ago, but I got my new spare from a wrecked Kia Sorento. It was 2 years old and 3 years newer than my spare. Lot's of those Kias as well as the Hyundai version around, so don't just search for Mazda wrecks.

Just for fun, I searched online one of our local wrecking yards. Immediately found this from a wrecked 2017 Kia Sorento:

17", COMPACT SPARE, W-T165/90R17 TIRE

Listed as "Grade A" and sells for $45. This sounds just like the one I bought 2 years ago from them and it had never touched the ground. So, they ARE out there and they do fit our CX-5s.

Last edited:
You may not remember my original post from 2 years ago, but I got my new spare from a wrecked Kia Sorento. It was 2 years old and 3 years newer than my spare. Lot's of those Kias as well as the Hyundai version around, so don't just search for Mazda wrecks.
Good info, thanks!

So the factory supplied jack will lift both the front & rear wheels on one side off the ground at the same time so that the rear tire can be moved to the front position and the donut spare then installed on the rear ? I sure wouldn't want to try this anywhere other than on a smooth, level concrete or asphalt surface. On a dirt shoulder somewhere ? I'm calling either Mazda or Geico roadside assistance.

The jack will only lift one tire at a time so you raise the rear tire and install the spare on it. Lower the vehicle, raise the front flat tire and install the former rear tire.

It is a real pain but you dont want a tiny donut on the FWD.

I ve only had to use a spare once in my entire life and it was on the front. It was better than walking several miles so I spent almost 45mins swapping tires around.

Its pretty scarey seeing cars with a donut on the front. Especially on the freeway.

It is a real pain but you dont want a tiny donut on the FWD.

I ve only had to use a spare once in my entire life and it was on the front. It was better than walking several miles so I spent almost 45mins swapping tires around.

Its pretty scarey seeing cars with a donut on the front. Especially on the freeway.
My 2 experiences changing the flat on the highway is the opposite. Id spend as less time as possible on the road side changing tires. The vehicle is not stable with the factory scissor jack on the soft or gravel shoulder. You can feel the car lifted is shaking whenever a car is passing by, especially the 18-wheeler. Luckily most of time we get flat on the rear. And on 2.5T you just have to spend more time on the dangerous road side shoulder changing tire twice if the front is the subject of problem.

How many times weve seen on the news that people got hit and killed on the highway when theyre changing tires or having car trouble on the road side?

How many times we*ve seen on the news that people got hit and killed on the highway when they*re changing tires or having car trouble on the road side?

This is why I have AAA. That said, I've never had a flat on the road, only at home. I've been driving since 1971.

This is why I have AAA. That said, I've never had a flat on the road, only at home. I've been driving since 1971.

Flats are pretty rare - and often the result of not keeping up or not repairing a slow leak. Still that is impressive: Approx 49 years of driving and never experienced a flat on the road.

Lol amazing I just discovered this today about my Reserve and I always do my own tire rotations! (I use the spare instead of jack stands). I guess up until today I always started at the rear...crazy!

A reminder about this..fortunately haven’t had a flat yet on my CX-5 over the years.

IMG_1744.jpeg

Lol amazing I just discovered this today about my Reserve and I always do my own tire rotations! (I use the spare instead of jack stands). I guess up until today I always started at the rear...crazy!

You discovered what about your Reserve?

You discovered what about your Reserve?

OP’s finding:

Spare tire wont fit in front wheels. or am i missing something? 19 gt reserve
It hits the brake calipers.

This’s only the problem in US and Canadian markets for 2019 CX-5 with a 2.5T which uses bigger dual-piston front brake calipers. Mazda has fixed it since 2020 MY and supplies bigger compact spare T155/90D17 101M instead of T145/90D16 106M for the 2.5T CX-5 which will fit the front.

Even if it will fit Mazda still recommends moving a rear tire to the front and putting the spare on the rear.

Even if it will fit Mazda still recommends moving a rear tire to the front and putting the spare on the rear.

It's not just Mazda that recommends this, ALL manufacturers say the same thing.

DO NOT EVER put a limited use doughtnut spare on the front.

And yet, I see it all the time. Idiots.

Last edited:
It's not just Mazda that recommends this, ALL manufacturers say the same thing.

DO NOT EVER put a limited use doughtnut spare on the front.

Any yet, I see it all the time. Idiots.
Actually with tubeless tire and TPMS we seldom have the need to change the flat on the road. Further, most flat happens at the rear based on my experience. The last time I had to change tire on the road happened more than 30 years ago with a blow-out (actually happened TWICE from the almost new Michelin tires on my 1987 VW Vanagon) on the highway. All other time I could put more air in and drove straight to the Discount Tire for free flat repair.

With all the (legal?) “warnings” not to put compact spare at front, I still would put the compact spare at front if I do need a tire change on the highway. My experience is changing the tire on the highway shoulder is a very dangerous task with all the 18-wheelers passing by! You really want to get out of that situation as soon as possible and there’s no time to change the tire twice if I had to change the front tire!

Actually with tubeless tire and TPMS we seldom have the need to change the flat on the road. Further, most flat happens at the rear based on my experience. The last time I had to change tire on the road happened more than 30 years ago with a blow-out (actually happened TWICE from the almost new Michelin tires on my 1987 VW Vanagon) on the highway. All other time I could put more air in and drove straight to the Discount Tire for free flat repair.

With all the (legal?) “warnings” not to put compact spare at front, I still would put the compact spare at front if I do need a tire change on the highway. My experience is changing the tire on the highway shoulder is a very dangerous task with all the 18-wheelers passing by! You really want to get out of that situation as soon as possible and there’s no time to change the tire twice if I had to change the front tire!

I'd have to agree with you about changing the tire on a busy highway.

Location, location, location.

If you're putting your life at risk by changing the tire in traffic, do what you must to get out of that situation ASAP. Worst case, you still have a lot of driving to do and you pull over in a safe place and swap out the spare on the front for the rear tire.

Back