Spare tire

:
2019 GT Reserve - Deep Blue 2016 Mazda3 iTouring - Soul Red
Spare tire wont fit in front wheels. or am i missing something? 19 gt reserve
It hits the brake calipers.

Spare tire won*t fit in front wheels. or am i missing something? 19* gt reserve

Well, that's not good at all. I'll have to check with my dealer and make sure that they actually tested the fit before committing to supplying that particular tire as a spare.

Is yours a skinny but full diameter version?

Jim

Spare tire wont fit in front wheels. or am i missing something? 19 gt reserve
Yes thiss a known issue that the spare wont fit the front of 2019 CX-5 GT-R and Sig, as the turbo CX-5 comes with larger dual-piston front disk calipers. Mazda doesnt provide larger wheel on spare to fit the front.

2017 Spare Tire Mod for U.S.

Per owners manual it is unsafe to put spare on front - move rear tire to front and put spare on rear...

Per owners manual it is unsafe to put spare on front - move rear tire to front and put spare on rear...
Yes, our owners manual says Do not install the temporary spare tire on the front wheels (driving wheels), so as the warning of using wrong-sized tires. Especially for AWD CX-5, can we really use the smaller-diameter factory spare safely on the rear, based on all the warnings stated in the owners manual?

The spare should be able to fit all 4 corners like all other non-turbo CX-5 trim levels. Thiss not only for convenience but also for safety. I wonder on CX-9 which has the same larger dual-piston front disk calipers, if the spare would fit the front? (I imagine it should as CX-9 has bigger spare. sm1ke should be able to verify.)

The spare should be able to fit all 4 corners like all other non-turbo CX-5 trim levels. This*s not only for convenience but also for safety. I wonder on CX-9 which has the same larger dual-piston front disk calipers, if the spare would fit the front? (I imagine it should as CX-9 has bigger spare. sm1ke should be able to verify.)

You raaang? (hi)

Unfortunately (or fortunately for me), I don't know if the CX-9 spare would fit on the front wheel hub. I haven't been in any situation that would require using the spare (yet). I'll try to remember to test it out when I do my wheel and tire changeover in the springtime.

The CX-9 manual has the same warning about not putting the spare on the front wheel. Under the Specifications section in the CX-9 online manual, I found that the U.S. and Canadian CX-9s come with a spare tire that is T155/90/D17 101M and has an inflation pressure of 60 psi. The online manual for the 2019 CX-5 GT Reserve says that the 2.0, 2.5 and 2.5T CX-5s come with a spare tire that is T145/90/D16 106M, while the CX-5 Diesel gets the same spare as the CX-9. No idea why the CX-5D gets the larger spare and the others don't.

New owner of a Reserve here. Will a full size OEM wheel and tire fit in the spare space allotted in the trunk?

You raaang? (hi)

Unfortunately (or fortunately for me), I don't know if the CX-9 spare would fit on the front wheel hub. I haven't been in any situation that would require using the spare (yet). I'll try to remember to test it out when I do my wheel and tire changeover in the springtime.

The CX-9 manual has the same warning about not putting the spare on the front wheel. Under the Specifications section in the CX-9 online manual, I found that the U.S. and Canadian CX-9s come with a spare tire that is T155/90/D17 101M and has an inflation pressure of 60 psi. The online manual for the 2019 CX-5 GT Reserve says that the 2.0, 2.5 and 2.5T CX-5s come with a spare tire that is T145/90/D16 106M, while the CX-5 Diesel gets the same spare as the CX-9. No idea why the CX-5D gets the larger spare and the others don't.
Back to 2015 Mazda did list larger and correct-sized T155/90 D18 mini spare for AWD CX-5 on the website to protect the AWD system while were using it. To my surprise I found a regular and smaller T145/90 D16 spare actually sitting in my trunk! Thiss the result of Mazda or MNAO cutting corners at every possible way and now the same thing happens to those 2.5T CX-5s.

That is strange. If you go to the Mazda USA website today and look at 2016 specs, it shows this 18" spare for Sport, Touring, and GT if they are AWD.

Here is spec for the Sport
Wheel size (in) 17 x 7 aluminum alloy
Tire size P225/65 R17 all season tires
Temporary spare tire T145/90 D16 (FWD) / T155/90 D18(AWD)

New owner of a Reserve here. Will a full size OEM wheel and tire fit in the spare space allotted in the trunk?
No, full-sized spare wont fit your spare tire well perfectly as the depth is not deep enough for wider full-sized tire. In other words, you can put in, but the floor will have to be raised.

See the link I posted in post #3 upstairs.

Back to 2015 Mazda did list larger and correct-sized T155/90 D18 mini spare for AWD CX-5 on the website to protect the AWD system while we*re using it. To my surprise I found a regular and smaller T145/90 D16 spare actually sitting in my trunk! This*s the result of Mazda or MNAO cutting corners at every possible way and now the same thing happens to those 2.5T CX-5*s.

It does seem to be MNAO cost-cutting, as the Mexican CX-5 has 185/80 R17 spare listed in the owner's manual. It seems counterproductive to use three different spare tire sizes for the CX-5. They should just use the 185/80 R17 spare across the board.

No, full-sized spare won*t fit your spare tire well perfectly as the depth is not deep enough for wider full-sized tire. In other words, you can put in, but the floor will have to be raised.

See the link I posted in post #3 upstairs.

Thanks, and that was confirmed by Mazda service a few minutes ago.

I did find out from Mazda Service a few minutes ago that the reason that you cannot put the spare on the front is because of the smaller diameter wheel and the damage it could cause to the drive train if used. The manual states the same in all CX-5 manuals for all trim levels. so it has nothing to do with clearing the brake rotors on the Reserve and the Sig models. He actually stated that the same is true for all makes and models of cars from all manufacturers that have front traction control systems.

I was actually surprised this past Saturday when I was getting the walk around on my new Reserve that there even was a spare at all.

I did find out from Mazda Service a few minutes ago that the reason that you cannot put the spare on the front is because of the smaller diameter wheel and the damage it could cause to the drive train if used. The manual states the same in all CX-5 manuals for all trim levels. so it has nothing to do with clearing the brake rotors on the Reserve and the Sig models. He actually stated that the same is true for all makes and models of cars from all manufacturers that have front traction control systems.

I was actually surprised this past Saturday when I was getting the walk around on my new Reserve that there even was a spare at all.
The statement your Mazda Service gave you is not entirely true. You can physically mount the spare on front with correct size, such as T155/90 D18 which I supposed to receive with my 2016 CX-5 AWD based on Mazdas specs. And you can mount smaller T145/90 D16 coming with the CX-5 on front for non-turbo models without damaging the drive train if its the FWD as the TCS on FWD is using the brakes to control the spinning and theres no differential lock or limited-slip differential at front for CX-5. The only damage by doing this is the brake pads. Further, if we put given T145/90 D16 on rear for our AWD, it could really damage the drive train, mainly the clutch pack in rear differential!

On 2.5T turbo CX-5 with larger dual-piston front disk calipers, 17 wheel would barely clear the caliper. 16 wheel would hit the front caliper, hence its un-mountable.

Thanks for the clarification. I didn*t check the manual but either you cant fit it in the front wheels.
I was thinking about a full size spare but then the spare spare fits tightly with the subwoofer there.
I just carry a fix a flat and the little air pump i have. Fingers crossed

Thanks for the clarification. I didn*t check the manual but either you cant fit it in the front wheels.
I was thinking about a full size spare but then the spare spare fits tightly with the subwoofer there.
I just carry a fix a flat and the little air pump i have. Fingers crossed
Personally Id use the spare instead of Fix-a-Flat. Once you inject the content of Fix-a-Flat into the flat tire, your tire is ruined and you may need a new tire and expensive TPMS pressure sensor. Not to mention you need to face the dilemma of matching tread depth issue with other 3 older tires when you get a single new tire.

So the factory supplied jack will lift both the front & rear wheels on one side off the ground at the same time so that the rear tire can be moved to the front position and the donut spare then installed on the rear ? I sure wouldn't want to try this anywhere other than on a smooth, level concrete or asphalt surface. On a dirt shoulder somewhere ? I'm calling either Mazda or Geico roadside assistance.

Back