Test drove 2019 CX-5. Disappointed

Coming form a bigger SUV, I love the more compact feel of the CX-5...feels like a have more control and a much better driving experience.

And that's where Mazda excels, papered stats be damned.

One problem is that people will listen to the siren call of "more rear leg room" and "more cargo room" and fear making an error.

I was aware of this stuff when I took my test drives. I adjusted the driver's seat (as a 5'10" adult) and then got in the rear seat behind it to see what kind of room I had. It was fine. I was not cramped at all. (And that was before I followed the owner's manual instructions on a "more forward sitting" seat position). I think an Edmund's reviewer was 6' tall and did the same thing...he had sufficient room. His knees were not hitting the back of the front seat.

The same goes for cargo room. The room in the Mazda is sufficient. Very few have a way of truly qualifying the number of cubic feet they will need, so out of fear they "get more in case they need it."

Fear sells. If I were a competitor's sales guy, I'd leverage it.

If I were a Mazda sales guy, I would have the customer adjust the front seat and then sit behind it to have them see for themselves. I would also have a pile of the junk that people normally haul around and load it into the cargo area in front of the customer to provide a quantifying visual of its sufficient capacity instead of leaving "enough room?" to the imagination. And for the nearly 60% of SUV buyers that are ages 55 and over, I'd hammer on safety.

As has been said here over and over and over again, Mazda's biggest hurdle to increased sales is getting people into the showroom and behind the wheel for the test drive, because--as you said--it's a much better [far superior] driving experience. It really sells itself.

If I were a Mazda sales guy, I would have the customer adjust the front seat and then sit behind it to have them see for themselves. ...

I have always done this, more out of curiosity than anything else. It's rare when someone sits behind me, and if so, I usually have to move my seat up and be a little uncomfortable. While the CX-5 barely leaves enough room for me to squeeze in the back and sit on an angle, it can be done. However, the Audi SQ5 we almost bought had the back of the front seat actually hitting the rear seat. I didn't even bother to try and get in. That said, the front seats in the Audi were the most comfortable of any vehicle I've been in. If I could have justified the $20k price difference with my wife, we would have it. Rear seat passengers be damned!

update that god awful infotainment,

That is on the 3 now. No idea why it's not on the 2020 CX5. Gobsmacked really. The new Infotainment in the 3 should be out this year for every car. What is Mazda thinking waiting on this?!?!?

ugh.....now I am glazed over mentally after seeing the premiere of the Mustang Mach e last night. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QA-qgSB076c

Yes....it's a Ford....I know.....I must come to my senses. Distracted by shiny object. I think I like it.

Hatch back
Performance electric available (a lot of variants proposed)
AWD or RWD options

I should be banned from the forum now, but I am a bit, as I said, glazed over. I only post because my next purchase is in a couple years. I can only imagine the car/suv options at that point.

MAZDA, what do you have coming?

Last edited:
While my GTR is perfect for my wife and I, I won't pretend that the back seat is fit for adults. I'm 6ft and wife is 5' 9". When I'm driving, it's kids only that could fit behind me. I know it's not a full size SUV and that's exactly what I wanted. Mazda is famous for driving dynamics and I'm thrilled with the performance I get with the GTR.

Anyone who regularly carries 4 adults, IMO, should focus on the CX-9.

And that's where Mazda excels, papered stats be damned.

One problem is that people will listen to the siren call of "more rear leg room" and "more cargo room" and fear making an error.

I was aware of this stuff when I took my test drives. I adjusted the driver's seat (as a 5'10" adult) and then got in the rear seat behind it to see what kind of room I had. It was fine. I was not cramped at all. (And that was before I followed the owner's manual instructions on a "more forward sitting" seat position). I think an Edmund's reviewer was 6' tall and did the same thing...he had sufficient room. His knees were not hitting the back of the front seat.

The same goes for cargo room. The room in the Mazda is sufficient. Very few have a way of truly qualifying the number of cubic feet they will need, so out of fear they "get more in case they need it."

Fear sells. If I were a competitor's sales guy, I'd leverage it.

If I were a Mazda sales guy, I would have the customer adjust the front seat and then sit behind it to have them see for themselves. I would also have a pile of the junk that people normally haul around and load it into the cargo area in front of the customer to provide a quantifying visual of its sufficient capacity instead of leaving "enough room?" to the imagination. And for the nearly 60% of SUV buyers that are ages 55 and over, I'd hammer on safety.

As has been said here over and over and over again, Mazda's biggest hurdle to increased sales is getting people into the showroom and behind the wheel for the test drive, because--as you said--it's a much better [far superior] driving experience. It really sells itself.

Well, after doing much research, watching all the YouTube reviews, and basically deciding that the 2020 Signature would be my next vehicle after my Jeep Cherokee lease expires in July, I took a test drive of a 2019 Signature yesterday.

The CX-5 is off my list.

So I am disappointed that I must remove the CX-5 from my list. But the Rav4 Hybrid has replaced it, and did I mention that that it averages 40 mph? :) Still up to test drive is the VW Tiguan (with its supposedly puny engine) and the BMW X3 (with its likely too high cost).

You might want to check out the gas tank issues with the new Rav4 Hybrid. We have one and there are many posts about it. Search for Rav4 Hybrid cannot fill gas tank completely. Ours is having this issue and no set date for repair from Toyota yet. The car is great otherwise. I still enjoy driving our 2019 GT CX-5 more though, I like the smaller feel and ride better in the CX-5.

LOL how many people are seriously going to take these vehicles out to a track? I'm not even sure why people bring this stuff up in arguments. Iv'e driven a CX-5(2018) and a CRV. Technically the CRV is faster but due to its turbo lag and the CX-5 being naturally aspirated, the CX-5 felt faster to me on normal everyday streets. It's possible the OP might have said it felt just as fast as the CX-5 for the same reason. CX-5 has a turbo(I havent driven one) and the RAV-4 Hybrid generates instant torque from it's electric motors, no turbo to spool up.

And I'm not sure why people are surprised he is complaining about the interior space. The reality is when you get into an SUV, you expect the interior to be nice and roomy. The CX-5 interior feels like a slightly bigger interior of a Mazda3. Perfect for me since I have no kids, but if I had a family I would take a hard pass on the CX-5 and get a RAV4 Hybrid. Slightly slower but vastly better fuel economy and likely better long term reliability.

Cmon Mazda, do something big for the 2021 CX5. Keep the turbo, develop an 8 speed transmission(or buy the 8 speed from ZF) update that god awful infotainment, give it the LED turn signal treatment of the Mazda, and update those god awful 240p resolution cameras. I don't even care about the crappy lane assist or blind spot monitoring. Just do everything else and I will get a Sig in a heartbeat. Adding some useless paddle shifters, fake engine noise and new font logo in the rear hatch isn't going to cut it.

What? There are real world benefits to being able to have better acceleration. Highway merging, passing, etc.

As for the infotainment, yeah they are slow. No idea why Mazda takes forever on updating their vehicle range whenever they do evolve it. Mazda 3 has a new system.

You can keep that tranny. I love the 6-speed in my CX-5.

ugh.....now I am glazed over mentally after seeing the premiere of the Mustang Mach e last night. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QA-qgSB076c

Yes....it's a Ford....I know.....I must come to my senses. Distracted by shiny object. I think I like it.

Hatch back
AWD or RWD options

I should be banned from the forum now, but I am a bit, as I said, glazed over. I only post because my next purchase is in a couple years. I can only imagine the car/suv options at that point.

That ain't no Mustang. Looks like an Escape with a pony emblem on the front.

That ain't no Mustang. Looks like an Escape with a pony emblem on the front.

Yeah I struggled with the name connection and probably a lot car enthusiasts will. The point to my post it's interesting to see some new things coming out soon. I've only seen a sentence worth of mention recently from Mazda in terms of those type of advancements.

LOL how many people are seriously going to take these vehicles out to a track? I'm not even sure why people bring this stuff up in arguments. Iv'e driven a CX-5(2018) and a CRV. Technically the CRV is faster but due to its turbo lag and the CX-5 being naturally aspirated, the CX-5 felt faster to me on normal everyday streets. It's possible the OP might have said it felt just as fast as the CX-5 for the same reason. CX-5 has a turbo(I havent driven one) and the RAV-4 Hybrid generates instant torque from it's electric motors, no turbo to spool up.

And I'm not sure why people are surprised he is complaining about the interior space. The reality is when you get into an SUV, you expect the interior to be nice and roomy. The CX-5 interior feels like a slightly bigger interior of a Mazda3. Perfect for me since I have no kids, but if I had a family I would take a hard pass on the CX-5 and get a RAV4 Hybrid. Slightly slower but vastly better fuel economy and likely better long term reliability.

Cmon Mazda, do something big for the 2021 CX5. Keep the turbo, develop an 8 speed transmission(or buy the 8 speed from ZF) update that god awful infotainment, give it the LED turn signal treatment of the Mazda, and update those god awful 240p resolution cameras. I don't even care about the crappy lane assist or blind spot monitoring. Just do everything else and I will get a Sig in a heartbeat. Adding some useless paddle shifters, fake engine noise and new font logo in the rear hatch isn't going to cut it.

Op talks about performance. I reply with a post about performance. You said why do we have to talk about performance in a thread where OP started talking about performance. #Logic

If you are going to haul hay then sure interior space to the very last inch counts, but if what you are saying is true - these lines of vehicles Q5, X3, F-Pace, Macan, CX-5 should all be discontinued because the only purpose of an SUV is space? That's laughable. I am willing to sacrifice 5 cu ft of space which I am sure I will miss twice a year for a better driving car which I will be driving more than twice a year.

I am willing to sacrifice 5 cu ft of space which I am sure I will miss twice a year for a better driving car which I will be driving more than twice a year.

I haven't missed it once in 3 years... ;)

I test drove a new Rav4. Actually I rented one for the weekend and put about 500 miles on it. Hated it, my daughter hated it. Found it to be very uncomfortable, loud, gutless, and expensive. I really had my eyes on a maxed out hybrid with a pano roof at well over 40k. Point is to each his or her own. One thing I did not do is go on the Rav4 forums and whine.

Hatch back
AWD or RWD options

I saw it too. The GT option looks neat, but it's still just a toy to me. I need ICE until electric technology is more mature.

OP did a good thing by test driving and then deciding not to buy. I read a post on some forum when the person bought and was disappointed by features he could have figured out by test driving out or just sitting inside the car.

Posting such a long diatribe in an enthusiast forum isn't a good idea :))

Dude shares his experience and a bunch of butt-hurts come out of nowhere.

Im sorry Christopher, I dont talk 11 year old but Ive deciphered what you mean. In fact in subsequent posts hes qualified what was actually quite a misleading post and I quite happy with its meaning. Frankly I dont give a monkeys what anyone says about the car, Im satisfied that I made the right choice although there are several things Id change, none are to do with the OP post.

I hope you have your armor on! :)

I would pass on a ZF transmission -- I've been suffering with their 9-speed in the Cherokee. And isn't the CX-5 infotainment supposed to be upgraded for 2020? Or is it just larger but with the same OS and low resolution?

It's 1" larger on turbo models.
The Mazda infotainment is far from the worst out there. Try using Lexus' Remote Touch. Mazda's voice commands for the factory nav are more accurate than those of Lexus, as well.
The infotainment works great with Carplay, if you use an iPhone. I am enjoying lossless music (FLAC) from the free "Vox" app.

Back