Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Test drove 2019 CX-5. Disappointed

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by Unobtanium View Post
    He registered months before this post, has made dozens of other posts. He likely came here to learn about the vehicle for purchase consideration and has now decided against it and given us a reason why. I really dont see the problem.
    ok..but his reasoning makes little sense..cramped, not quiet and only acceptable power? Never heard 1 person complain about loudness or the lack of power.

edit...and tinny lol

Registered Member

2013 Mazda CX-5 Sport FWD Auto

Consider the gas RAV4 if your drive is mostly highway or rural. I was able to save about $5k off the sticker price on my Ď19 RAV4 XLE Premium AWD. Many people say the hybrid is only like $2k more than the gas version but you wonít be able to negotiate thousands below sticker on the hybrid. As the engine is always running though it is definitely louder than the CX-5. Averaging 32-33 mpg driving it daily so the gas mileage vs premium of a hybrid worked in the gas versions favor. Slightly less HP but the AWD of the gas version is superior IMO vs the hybrid. If AWD and price arenít a concern tho hybrid ftw. Or save even more and get just 2WD

The RAV4 is a better family car for us. Had the car been for myself though I wouldíve gone with the CX-5 with the turbo.
    Last edited by ruthrj; 11-17-2019 at 09:56 PM.

Registered Member

2019 CX-5 GT

He registered months before this post, has made dozens of other posts. He likely came here to learn about the vehicle for purchase consideration and has now decided against it and given us a reason why. I really dont see the problem.
    The problem is, he came onto the CX-5 forum and had the audacity to say something negative about one.... It is nice to see different opinions. This is what makes the world go round. If everyone wanted the CX-5 and nothing else, it would be pretty boring out on the streets.

Registered Member

CX5 GT-R

Quote Originally Posted by chickdr View Post
    The problem is, he came onto the CX-5 forum and had the audacity to say something negative about one.... It is nice to see different opinions. This is what makes the world go round. If everyone wanted the CX-5 and nothing else, it would be pretty boring out on the streets.
    Yeah, but at least people would slow down in the snow and ice, rofl!

Donated: $15

CX-5 Touring 2016.5

Mango sold crv and bought a Cherokee

Registered Member

I had the opposite experience to that of the OP. To me, the RAV4 was sluggish and the quality of materials in the interior seemed very, very cheap. As for noise, I found it somewhat noisier than the CR-V it replaced and much noisier than the CX-5. Also, the design of having the passenger seat permanently higher in height than the driver's seat makes little sense, and the wife didn't like that at all. After test driving the 2019 RAV4, Tuscon, CR-V, Forrester, and Rogue, I chose the CX-5. It's a hoot to drive, has a lot of pep, and the quality of the interior is first rate. Very pleased with my purchase.

Gen-1 Kodo Design 👌 ColoradoDriver's Avatar
    Donated: $5

2014 CX-5 Touring AWD

Different strokes different folks I guess. I don't see where the CX-5 can be considered cramped. Its smaller than my previous vehicle ('98 Jeep Grand Cherokee), but its also a completely different class of car so my expectations are in line. I'm 6 foot, 214 lbs. I haven't been in a newer RAV4 though, so I can't compare, but I felt the 2019 GT loaner I had a few months back was more spacious than my 2014 and definitely felt like a wider car enough that it was throwing me off pulling into my garage compared to my 2014.

As for power, I really don't get that if you were driving a turbo model, unless it was having that crippling Uno and others have had in cold weather. If it was a non-turbo, I will agree. The 2019 GT loaner I had was horribly sluggish from a stop unless I popped it into sport mode.
    2014 CX-5 Touring AWD 2.5L | Jet Black Mica - 87k miles
    01/2013 build | 4/20/2013 delivery

Registered Member

2019 cx-5 signature. 2019 cx-3 awd touring

drives a cx-5 turbo, complains about the lack of power and then drives a hybrid Rav4.

Registered Member

2019 CX-5 Signature

Quote Originally Posted by mreg376 View Post
    Actually space wasn't a major concern, which is why I was surprised that I felt somewhat confined. I may take another test drive, because sometimes a second look is much different, like looking at apartments.
    Well, one of your complaints was about your backseat passenger and how cramped you felt. To me, that goes hand in hand with interior volume. It's a known fact with the CX-5 and some like it that way.

Is the steering wheel on the Rav4 360 degree heated? I ask, because my Lexus, which is also Toyota, doesn't heat the top or bottom. People complained on the forum about it, but I can only think of one person that was really upset about it. They ended up buying an Acura RLX.

Also, your "not particularly quiet" comment does surprise me. That was one of the things that really stood out to us during our test drive, It was only after that we discovered the dual pane glass, which I have since learned is standard on all CX-5's. Maybe the tires on your test drive vehicle were over inflated, or a window was open slightly.

You're doing it right, though. Buy what makes you happy. One size does not fit all, which is why there are so many choices. Just realize some will get upset with negative comments on their vehicle of choice. It's like saying my girlfriend is prettier than yours.

Registered Member

I would check this issue with the RAV4 before you make a decision.

https://www.rav4world.com/threads/20...lution.300296/

Registered Member

I also like the Rav4 hybrid. But be sure you're Okay with the height of the non-adjustable passenger seat and how difficult it is for passengers to get into this seat without banging their heads. This has been mentioned in numerous reviews. I'm tall and have a stiff neck. I found it almost impossible to get into the passenger seat without contortions. This was a fatal flaw for me.

- Mark

Donated: $8

2016 Mazda CX-5 GT AWD w/Tech

Arrow Test drove 2019 CX-5. Disappointed

Agreed.

Donated: $8

2016 Mazda CX-5 GT AWD w/Tech

Arrow Test drove 2019 CX-5. Disappointed

Quote Originally Posted by mreg376 View Post
    ⋯ I thought the Rav4 was louder too, but really didn't notice any significant difference between. And actually the Rav4 was better as far as tire noise on some slight rutted highway roadway.
    I test-drove the 2019 RAV4 and itís really not that loud other than when the engine is idling with the hood up. Based on the YouTube video the highway noise on RAV4 is not that bad either. At 78 mph the 2019 RAV4 was about 72 dB and 2020 was about 68 dB on non-hybrid RAV4. Added hood insulation and other sound-proofing material on 2020 RAV4 definitely have helped to reduce the noise.

2018 CX-5 Touring AWD

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Willie View Post
    I had the opposite experience to that of the OP. To me, the RAV4 was sluggish and the quality of materials in the interior seemed very, very cheap. As for noise, I found it somewhat noisier than the CR-V it replaced and much noisier than the CX-5. Also, the design of having the passenger seat permanently higher in height than the driver's seat makes little sense, and the wife didn't like that at all. After test driving the 2019 RAV4, Tuscon, CR-V, Forrester, and Rogue, I chose the CX-5. It's a hoot to drive, has a lot of pep, and the quality of the interior is first rate. Very pleased with my purchase.
    This review sums it up pretty well for my experience. Except I did not test Rogue or Forrester. The CX-5 interior is really what sold it for me. Quiet, very comfortable to my frame, and very refined. A biggie was the screen placement located (on top of dash) and screen control knobs. Both aid in operation w/o having to change head position too much (eyes down in other words). The rest of the vehicle essentially is a me-too CUV... looks nice, does the job and the AWD was reportedly very sophisticated. Personally like the looks of the Rogue the best out of the bunch, but was not interested in another CVT vehicle.

btw, I don't see what the gripe is w/ the OP providing his thoughts here.
    Ron

Registered Member

2013 Mazda CX-5 Sport FWD Auto

Quote Originally Posted by Sig cx-5 View Post

Is the steering wheel on the Rav4 360 degree heated? I ask, because my Lexus, which is also Toyota, doesn't heat the top or bottom. People complained on the forum about it, but I can only think of one person that was really upset about it. They ended up buying an Acura RLX.
    Nope. Mine is heated only on the sides.

Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast