Test drove 2019 CX-5. Disappointed

I think it's a quality post. Different strokes. At least he was smart enough to get out of that Jeep. :D

Yeah, there is actually a lot I like about the Jeep. But I can't shake the fact that I don't trust the longevity of FCA vehicles, Jeep dealers can't diagnose anything more complicated than a hole in a muffler, and that 9-speed ZF transmission, which has never given me any "trouble" per se, is incredibly annoying on a daily basis.

I also like the Rav4 hybrid. But be sure you're Okay with the height of the non-adjustable passenger seat and how difficult it is for passengers to get into this seat without banging their heads. This has been mentioned in numerous reviews. I'm tall and have a stiff neck. I found it almost impossible to get into the passenger seat without contortions. This was a fatal flaw for me.

- Mark

I was not aware of that. Thanks.

That is an incredibly frustrating aspect of Toyota*s trim levels. I had to spring for a *Premium* XLE to get SofTex interior. I was pretty miffed that the XLE trim didn*t offer a non-cloth option standard but that*s Toyota for you.

That's true. But the upper trim levels of the Rav4 have plenty of soft-touch materials and do have a much more premium feel than prior Rav4's. Hey, I haven't looked a vehicle in this $25,000-$40,000 class that doesn't have significant compromises, the Rav4 and CX-5 included. It's just which compromises you are willing and able to live with every day.

I think you need to not worry so much about the tires on that specific road. All tires will find a road they hate. Also, the OEM tires are trash and need replacing anyways.

The power is just fine unless it drops below 20*F. I've beat CIVIC SI's, Raptor SVT 6.2, and stopped multiple fly-by attempts from a 05-09 Mustang GT on the freeway. Power is fine. It is just deceptive because of how linear it is.

I found it to be cramped, not particularly quiet, and only barely acceptable power.
But realizing that the comparison might be unfair because I was coming from a heavier, V6 Cherokee, I wanted to test another vehicle.
I took the Rav4 Hybrid for a spin. It was big, roomy, bright, felt more solid than the CX-5, had ample power, and the road/wind noise that reviewers seem to be complaining about was indistinguishable from the CX-5, which the reviewers said was quiet.
But the Rav4 Hybrid has replaced it, and did I mention that that it averages 40 mph?

Your personal perceptions do not line up with reality.
The CX-5 is significantly quicker AND quieter than your current vehicle and beloved Rav4 Hybrid.

0-60 MPH Acceleration:
CX-5 - 6.2
V6 Cherokee - 7.2
Rav4 - 7.4

70-0 MPH Braking (ft):
CX-5 - 173
V6 Cherokee - 184
Rav4 - 182

75 MPH Real World MPG:
CX-5 - 30
V6 Cherokee - 25
Rav4 - 37

Sound Volume @ 70 MPH (db):
CX-5 - 67
V6 Cherokee - 70
Rav4 - 72

Your personal perceptions do not line up with reality.
The CX-5 is significantly quicker AND quieter than your current vehicle and beloved Rav4 Hybrid.

0-60 MPH Acceleration:
CX-5 - 6.2
V6 Cherokee - 7.2
Rav4 - 7.4

70-0 MPH Braking (ft):
CX-5 - 173
V6 Cherokee - 184
Rav4 - 182

75 MPH Real World MPG:
CX-5 - 30
V6 Cherokee - 25
Rav4 - 37

Sound Volume @ 70 MPH (db):
CX-5 - 67
V6 Cherokee - 70
Rav4 - 72

Yes, I've seen all these numbers. But I don't know that those numbers are "reality." I can tell you flat out that the Cherokee Limited, despite its other flaws, is much quieter than the CX-5, and when flooring the vehicles at 60 mph the V6 in the Cherokee blows the CX-5 away. The Rav4 Hybrid was similar to the CX-5 in power at 60 mph.

Last edited:
Yes, I've seen all these numbers. But I don't know that those numbers are "reality." I can tell you flat out that the Cherokee Limited, despite its other flaws, is much quieter than the CX-5, and when flooring the vehicles at 60 mph the V6 in the Cherokee blows the CX-5 away. The Rav4 Hybrid was similar to the CX-5 in power at 60 mph.
Your 'seat of the pants' perceptions are simply wrong.

The CX-5 is faster than both vehicles in ALL acceleration tests...
- Zero to 60
- Zero to 100
- 5-60 Rolling start
- Top gear, 30-50
- Top gear, 50-70
- Quarter mile
- Top speed

And the dB ratings clearly show the CX-5 is quieter than both vehicles.
I can't find the CX-5 test sheet right now, but it indicated the sound level was lower than these vehicles for both WOT and 70MPH cruise speed.

What do you think is more strongly linked to reality? Actual test numbers or the "feeling" you got from a 10 mile test drive?

The RAV4 hybrid likely feels quicker due to the electric motor, but it just isnt.

- Zero to 60
- Zero to 100
- 5-60 Rolling start
- Top gear, 30-50
- Top gear, 50-70
- Quarter mile
- Top speed

I can't find the CX-5 test sheet right now, but it indicated the sound level was lower than these vehicles for both WOT and 70MPH cruise speed.

What do you think is more strongly linked to reality? Actual test numbers or the "feeling" you got from a 10 mile test drive?

Those dB ratings do not take into account OP's road. ON THAT road, it may not be so. Further, they do not take frequency into account. Lower tones, or if OP has hearing damage, tones in that spectrum, will be more masked.

I was most surprised about the noise, which was primarily tire noise, not wind. I was driving the car in Northeast Pennsylvania on I-81, and the roadway was somewhat grooved, maybe intentionally or not. But it was noisy. It's certainly possible that the tires were improperly inflated -- dealers are notorious for that. I'm going to do another test drive, because I REALLY wanted to love the CX-5. The Rav4 seemed to have less tire noise but some more wind noise.

Different tire models and sizes likely between the two vehicles test driven, and yes, dealers tend to forget to deflate them back to normal PSI.

And they are factory tires...

C/D TEST RESULTS for CX-5
Zero to 60 mph: 6.2 sec
Zero to 100 mph: 16.7 sec
Zero to 120 mph: 28.4 sec
Rolling start, 5*60 mph: 6.7 sec
Top gear, 30*50 mph: 3.5 sec
Top gear, 50*70 mph: 4.6 sec
Standing -mile: 14.8 sec @ 95 mph
Top speed (governor limited): 130 mph
Braking, 70*0 mph: 173 ft
Roadholding, 300-ft-dia skidpad*: 0.79 g

C/D TEST RESULTS Rav4 Hybrid
Zero to 60 mph: 7.4 sec
Zero to 100 mph: 19.1 sec
Zero to 110 mph: 24.3 sec
Rolling start, 5*60 mph: 7.9 sec
Top gear, 30*50 mph: 4.2 sec
Top gear, 50*70 mph: 5.1 sec
Standing -mile: 15.7 sec @ 91 mph
Top speed (governor limited): 117 mph
Braking, 70*0 mph: 182 ft
Roadholding, 300-ft-dia skidpad: 0.81 g

CX5 is better than Rav4 Hybrid on all metrics - including top speed. I cant imagine what CX5 turbo would do to a hybrid Rav4 on a track specially when the hybrid battery is depleted and your power numbers drop. Rav4 hybrid is good as a commuter when you coast and drive hard in intervals, if you always have pedal to the metal, the Hybrid will often be depleted or near depleted and your max power will drop from 219 horses to around 150ish.

Dude shares his experience and a bunch of butt-hurts come out of nowhere.

Dude shares his experience and a bunch of butt-hurts come out of nowhere.

What do you expect when someone makes absurd claims like...
- The Cherokee "blows away" the CX-5 in acceleration
- The Rav4 was "similar in power" to the CX-5

Those statements simply defy physics, logic, and the immense amount of testing/data available.

I could "share my experience" that the earth is flat, but that doesn't mean you should just go along with what I'm saying.
You post facts that show why this is not the case. Which is what is happening here. Isn't that the point of an internet forum?

The CX-5 is off my list.
Still up to test drive is the VW Tiguan (with its supposedly puny engine) and the BMW X3 (with its likely too high cost).

I've seen nothing but complaints of the turbo 2.0 Tiguan. A few weeks ago I took a ride in a new Tiguan given to a coworker as a courtesy car. I was impressed that it did pretty good from 0-30 and much better than my 2014 CX-5, but my friend said it was gutless trying to pass on the interstate at highway speeds. Everything else about the Tiguan I liked over my CX-5, but again that is new car with new tech compared to an older car.

What is interesting is that APR is close to release a ECU tune for the Tiguan. APR already has a ROW tune available and APR has a very good drive train warranty available. Then I saw last week that VW is working on a 2021 Tiguan R that will be comparable to the Golf R. Perhaps VW is not liking the bad media reviews of it being sluggish and under performing.

- Zero to 60
- Zero to 100
- 5-60 Rolling start
- Top gear, 30-50
- Top gear, 50-70
- Quarter mile
- Top speed

https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/comparison-test/a27548756/2019-mazda-cx-5-vs-2019-toyota-rav4/

Take it with a grain of salt if you want, but here's instrumented testing and commentary from Car and Driver:

There's a ton of wind and tire noise, and a particularly egregious racket works its way in from the engine bay. The RAV4's sound-level readings of 76 decibels at full throttle and 70 decibels at a 70-mph cruise both are 3 decibels louder than the CX-5's. Toyota's 2.5 is so obtrusive that one driver claimed he could feel the engine noise through the steering wheel. Another called the transmission's shift quality "chunky." The RAV4 is lighter than many competitors, so it seems like Toyota could afford to pack a few additional pounds of sound deadening around the body shell without going over weight.

This is a 2019 model they are reviewing. Besides a little extra sound insulation, the 2020 model is unchanged except for another trim level.

Probably because the dealer put 87 in the CX5 and it falls on its face way early like that. You're missing 23hp, and it's all in the upper rpm band.

I was most surprised about the noise, which was primarily tire noise, not wind. I was driving the car in Northeast Pennsylvania on I-81, and the roadway was somewhat grooved, maybe intentionally or not. But it was noisy. It's certainly possible that the tires were improperly inflated -- dealers are notorious for that. I'm going to do another test drive, because I REALLY wanted to love the CX-5. The Rav4 seemed to have less tire noise but some more wind noise.

Definitely have the dealer check tire pressure before driving. When I got my CX5 the tires had between 45 & 50 lbs in them. You would think that would be top on the list for the dealer to check but apparently not.

Definitely have the dealer check tire pressure before driving. When I got my CX5 the tires had between 45 & 50 lbs in them. You would think that would be top on the list for the dealer to check but apparently not.

Mazda quirk, they are all shipped from Japan that way to prevent flat-spotting and they assume the dealers will correct it during the PDI.

All the reviews in the world can't make up for someone's personal experience. The OP didn't dig the CX-5 and chose the RAV4 instead. My experience was the complete opposite of that. So what? As long as he's happy with it, then that's just fine.

Back