Test drove 2019 CX-5. Disappointed

The poster already has an S line Audi, so I doubt it's out of the realm.

Well, the Q5 is larger then we want. The new Q3 has been slightly enlarged.....perfect size, same as the CX-5. I truly love my S5 convertible, in fact I baby it to the point of being ridiculous......all my family laughs about it.
I guess my point in reaching out here is that I discovered the CX-5 GTR to be the most amazing little car than almost anything out there. I like the GTR better than the Signature with the darker wheels and extreme dark brown seats. I like the brighter wheels of the GTR and would probably change the seats to leather Katzkin custom covers......they are awesome. A local shop ( metro Atlanta) does a lot of Katzkin leather cover seats, really a nice product.

Well, the Q5 is larger then we want. The new Q3 has been slightly enlarged.....perfect size, same as the CX-5....

That surprises me. I never sat in the new Q3, but the Q5 had even less rear passenger space than our CX-5.

That surprises me. I never sat in the new Q3, but the Q5 had even less rear passenger space than our CX-5.

Oh, I'm not looking for space. We're old, hardly ever use the rear seats, looking for a nimble quick semi - compact SUV. The 3 I listed earlier fit the bill perfectly. No more interstate driving, only quick jaunts around town...*.shopping, restaurants, church, and visiting kids & friends. No more massive hauler needed.

Oh, I'm not looking for space. We're old, hardly ever use the rear seats, looking for a nimble quick semi - compact SUV. The 3 I listed earlier fit the bill perfectly. No more interstate driving, only quick jaunts around town...*.shopping, restaurants, church, and visiting kids & friends. No more massive hauler needed.

Everyone has their own needs, but I am curious why...

...an "old" couple with no need to haul anything, go anywhere other than nice city streets, owns an S5 (so it's obviously not t hat you're "scared of small cars"), etc. would consider a CUV?

What is the impetus to purchase, here? Genuinely curious. I'd be spending the money on something else, personally, so I am trying to figure out why you're not. Broaden my horizons a little.

Everyone has their own needs, but I am curious why...

...an "old" couple with no need to haul anything, go anywhere other than nice city streets, owns an S5 (so it's obviously not t hat you're "scared of small cars"), etc. would consider a CUV?

What is the impetus to purchase, here? Genuinely curious. I'd be spending the money on something else, personally, so I am trying to figure out why you're not. Broaden my horizons a little.

We traded a 2016 Madza6 GT for a 2019 CX5 Sig because my wife, who drove the 6, wanted something that was easier for her to enter and exit. I did not want to trade the 2016 with 34,000 miles but have no regrets with the ease of entering when I ride with her. The grandkids think she is cool cause Nana drives a turbo.

We traded a 2016 Madza6 GT for a 2019 CX5 Sig because my wife, who drove the 6, wanted something that was easier for her to enter and exit. I did not want to trade the 2016 with 34,000 miles but have no regrets with the ease of entering when I ride with her. The grandkids think she is cool cause Nana drives a turbo.

I get that, but he has an S5. I'm legit curious.

Well, one guy with a cx9 here has timed themselves 7.8 to 60, and magazines are getting 7ish.

That's me. Factors worth noting:

• It was one single run, not an average of many.
  • I'm on winter tires (compared to the OEM Bridgestone/Falken all-season tires).
  • Ambient temp was nearing freezing temps (meaning colder pavement and less traction).
  • No brake boosting/torque braking.

I'm sure that I could do better if I was actually trying to get a good 0-60 time in warmer conditions.

Well, the Q5 is larger then we want. The new Q3 has been slightly enlarged.....perfect size, same as the CX-5. I truly love my S5 convertible, in fact I baby it to the point of being ridiculous......all my family laughs about it.
I guess my point in reaching out here is that I discovered the CX-5 GTR to be the most amazing little car than almost anything out there. I like the GTR better than the Signature with the darker wheels and extreme dark brown seats. I like the brighter wheels of the GTR and would probably change the seats to leather Katzkin custom covers......they are awesome. A local shop ( metro Atlanta) does a lot of Katzkin leather cover seats, really a nice product.

I am liking the 2020 Audi Q3 Sportback and especially the 400HP 2021 RS Q3 Sportback, but they say that one will not make it to the US. It would be the perfect size for me on the next car. I was actually considering dropping down to the GTI to get performance aspect. But I think I would like to be sitting up a little higher and it would be a touch easier to get in and out. CX-5T is still high up on my list and will see how it and this class evolves in the next couple of years. I am also watching out for the potential for the Tiguan R and see if that one would make it to the US.

I am at the point that I rarely have a passenger and the back seats are usually down and I am not using a fraction of the cargo area of the CX-5.

Last edited:
I get that, but he has an S5. I'm legit curious.

OK. Yes, I have an S5, and can afford Audi, BMW, Lincoln, etc.
But, this is for my wife....she couldn't care less what "Badge" the car wears. Neither do I. Also it must be a small nimble SUV.....Crossover....whatever, for ease of entry and exit....and visibility while DRIVING.
The MOST important feature for me is......FUN TO DRIVE. This CX-5 GTR is just that, FUN TO DRIVE. It really is. But y'all know that, you're Mazda people.

Now, my wife has no interest in shopping for cars. Zero. I enjoy it. A lot.
The final decision will be hers, SHE will decide which car I buy for her. I insist on that.
She won't test drive any of them till the week after Christmas when my daughter comes home from Los Angeles. The two of them will go spend the day, test drive, I stay home, out of their way. I feel the 3 cars I've selected will be AOK. They will decide brand and color, then I'll go negotiate and buy. I enjoy that part too.

Thanks for reading my long boring story. LOL

But, this is for my wife...*.she couldn't care less what "Badge" the car wears. Neither do I. Also it must be a small nimble SUV.....Crossover...*.whatever, for ease of entry and exit...*.and visibility while DRIVING.
The MOST important feature for me is......FUN TO DRIVE. This CX-5 GTR is just that, FUN TO DRIVE. It really is. But y'all know that, you're Mazda people.

The final decision will be hers, SHE will decide which car I buy for her. I insist on that.
She won't test drive any of them till the week after Christmas when my daughter comes home from Los Angeles. The two of them will go spend the day, test drive, I stay home, out of their way. I feel the 3 cars I've selected will be AOK. They will decide brand and color, then I'll go negotiate and buy. I enjoy that part too.

Well, I guess it boils down to "does she like it?" in that case, and nothing else really matters.

Several things you should be aware of:

-The power folding mirrors will die. Every 20K miles or so likely. Both have mine were replaced around then, and they seem to be headed for it again in another 16K miles.
-The turbo loses all boost effect over about 2000rpm if you're under 20*F and it performs similar to the old 2.0L naturally aspirated CX5 after 2000rpm.

Other than that, 100% love it.

But, this is for my wife...*.she couldn't care less what "Badge" the car wears. Neither do I. Also it must be a small nimble SUV.....Crossover...*.whatever, for ease of entry and exit...*.and visibility while DRIVING.

The Sport/Touring AWD packages are quite good as well, and also fun to drive. Same electric power steering and suspension, and the base 2.5L has class competitive acceleration times if she isn't an aggressive driver. I've had faster vehicles, but the regular 2.5L has enough power for me. The Touring has a lot of features for the price point. Actually, I found the Sport seats most comfortable between Sport/Touring, so that's what I bought, with a Carplay upgrade and factory hitch. I wanted to keep the payment in the low 300s with only 1000 down.

You should really preface this with "in my experience".

Several things you should be aware of:

-The power folding mirrors will die. Every 20K miles or so likely. Both have mine were replaced around then, and they seem to be headed for it again in another 16K miles.
-The turbo loses all boost effect over about 2000rpm if you're under 20*F and it performs similar to the old 2.0L naturally aspirated CX5 after 2000rpm.

Other than that, 100% love it.

In my experience and in that of many others as well as review channels: turbo
In my experience and those in other countries where mazda has put out a fix: folding mirrors

I would not tout these as cold hard facts until a significant number of owners report the issue. AFAIK, you're one of the few who has experienced either of these issues. You might actually be one of the very few on these boards to experience issues with the power mirrors, though Anchorman did state that it was a known issue in his market. Even then, Anchorman also pointed out the option of upgrading the components that fail to significantly extend the lifespan of the mirror's motors, so if the mirrors do happen to fail, there is an option besides dealer replacement.

Prefacing your statements with "in my experience" acknowledges the possibility of such issues, but doesn't imply that they are true, which is much more accurate to say than making the statement that they absolutely will fail within 20k miles. You make it sound like it's as common as getting your oil changed, when in fact, it probably isn't.

You also state that the car performs like the old 2.0 N/A in the first gen when it goes below 20F. I won't disagree here, but I do take issue with the fact that you're making it a much bigger deal than it needs to be. You're comparing the performance of your AWD car, accelerating at WOT in below freezing temps, to the performance stats of a 2.0L that was tested in ideal conditions. I'm not sure why anyone would think that's a fair comparison, or why anyone would want to accelerate that hard in below freezing conditions. Yes, turbos love cool, dense air, but the drag strip closes when it gets too cold for pretty obvious reasons.

Last edited:
This amounts to the fix.

55-BA9838-F98-B-4-D60-9429-AA3-A56645-B3-F.jpg

So it's not a motor problem per se, but rather a design problem that has been fixed.

As far as the below 20 degrees turbo issue goes, I could care less even if it*s across the board true. I would not be out romping on it in sub 20 weather anyway. Would most likely be home with my feet in front of a fire and not worrying about the folding mirror issue that has been corrected and possible lost of 2 seconds in my 0 to 60 time.

You also state that the car performs like the old 2.0 N/A in the first gen when it goes below 20F. I won't disagree here, but I do take issue with the fact that you're making it a much bigger deal than it needs to be. You're comparing the performance of your AWD car, accelerating at WOT in below freezing temps, to the performance stats of a 2.0L that was tested in ideal conditions. I'm not sure why anyone would think that's a fair comparison, or why anyone would want to accelerate that hard in below freezing conditions. Yes, turbos love cool, dense air, but the drag strip closes when it gets too cold for pretty obvious reasons.

The power loss is total BS. Mazda should really step up and acknowledge it and either offer a reasonable technical explanation or fix it.

Almost as bad as the torture seats.

I live where is might not go above 20 F for weeks at a time so inconsistent power to merge and pass is a big deal.

Folks dont start driving slow around here just because its below freezing.

Last edited:
Back