Test drove 2019 CX-5. Disappointed

Will be interesting to see how many members here experience failures. Whatever the reason for a failure (water penetration?) I would think if the percentages are that high there will be a fix.

Will be interesting to see how many members here experience failures. Whatever the reason for a failure (water penetration?) I would think if the percentages are that high there will be a fix.

Lots of us have turned them off so they do not cycle every time the car is turned on and turned off. I'm one of those folks. I live in a rural area, do not garage-park, and don't ever park that close to other cars. My circumstances and environment are such that there's no need for my mirrors to constantly (or ever) fold in. I've probably manually cycled them twice, and that was just to do it and not out of necessity. It's a matter of need (or not need).

I don't know what percentage of owners have turned off the auto-folding feature, and how many have left them on.

Lots of us have turned them off so they do not cycle every time the car is turned on and turned off. I'm one of those folks. I live in a rural area, do not garage-park, and don't ever park that close to other cars. My circumstances and environment are such that there's no need for my mirrors to constantly (or ever) fold in. I've probably manually cycled them twice, and that was just to do it and not out of necessity. It's a matter of need (or not need).

I don't know what percentage of owners have turned off the auto-folding feature, and how many have left them on.

Now the question is: is it cycles of use, or time? One would think cycles, but there isnt any data to back the assertion, and corrosion is more about time, so...

I don't know what percentage of owners have turned off the auto-folding feature said:
I turned mine off for the same reasons. At first I though it was a good visual indication that the car was locked but I soon disabled.

Now the question is: is it cycles of use, or time? One would think cycles, but there isnt any data to back the assertion, and corrosion is more about time, so...

Yeh, I thought of that when I hit "Submit."

I might be depriving myself of this benefit, all for <s>not</s> <s>knot</s> naught.

If the problem is water or moisture getting to and causing component failure I would think it would not be that difficult to solve. Surely a guy like myself has torn a unit down, on a out of warranty situation, to inspect.

If it is a water or moisture issue, then that likely would eliminate motor wear as a cause regardless of whether the mirrors were disabled.

I disabled the feature on my car. I figured that it was one of those unnecessary gimmicks that would break just about the time the warranty expired. If I am parking somewhere that the chances are good that someone is going to walk between the cars and smack into the mirror I can twist the control to fold them in. I suppose that I should test them periodically to make sure that they are still operating before the warranty expires.

I dont have a turbo so I cant check for computer issues that might affect cold weather performance, but I would suggest that because engine is exposed to very high temperatures in the combustion chambers from the initial. start it actually warms much quicker than the rest of the drivetrain. My OOBII scan gauge shows catalytic converter temps of several hundred degrees within a minute after startup. This indicates the cylinders are already warming up.

It takes a lot longer for the rest of the drivetrain:
TRANSMISSION
DRIVESHAFTS
CVJ AND WHEEL BEARINGS
TIRES

... to warm up.

I would checking tire pressues especially in 20F weather.

If it is a water or moisture issue, then that likely would eliminate motor wear as a cause regardless of whether the mirrors were disabled.

Actually I never saw the point of folding the mirrors, either automatically or manually, and I live in tight-spaced NYC. When the mirrors are in their normal position other cars and bikes have to steer clear of them, which actually protects the sides of your vehicle. If the mirrors are folded, that allows other vehicles and bikes to edge CLOSER to your vehicle. I'd rather have the mirror hit than the fenders and doors, and I've never had more than minor scratches on the mirrors, which fold forward when they're hit, alleviating the force.

Actually I never saw the point of folding the mirrors, either automatically or manually, and I live in tight-spaced NYC. When the mirrors are in their normal position other cars and bikes have to steer clear of them, which actually protects the sides of your vehicle. If the mirrors are folded, that allows other vehicles and bikes to edge CLOSER to your vehicle. I'd rather have the mirror hit than the fenders and doors, and I've never had more than minor scratches on the mirrors, which fold forward when they're hit, alleviating the force.

This^!!

I*m not giving all sorts of reasons why I*m not using the folding mirrors to preserve them. I had RAV4s for years and never had a mirror fail and since having CX5s I*ve not had one make 12 months without failure. It is quite doable and I*ll just keep taking mine back which puts pressure on for a more robust design. If the mirrors aren*t up to it, why have an auto position on the switch?

One of the problems with cars today is that there's way too much technology and not enough CAR!

I commented a few days ago that I gave a friend a ride to her doctor.

As we were leaving, the warning chime was going off. There were no dash lights or messages on the display. I was gonna pull over and restart the car while praying there was not some catastrophic failure of some computer component when she realized she did not have her seat belt on. I then looked above the HVAC unit and saw the little red indicator.

Had I been in a "less advanced" car and heard that sound, my choices would have been limited to "door" or "seat belt." Being in Robo Car, the underlying causes were limitless. The mundane never even occurred to me.

I still like it, though.

We plan too keep our signature long term.I negotiated a 9 year/100k mile(I know, really 6 year,64k) extended warranty down to $1500. The 2 items that concerned me with failure were the mirrors and adaptive headlights.Warranty is full or partial refundable if we sell early/trade early.Bit of a gamble l am comfortable with.We don*t use auto fold unless at Walmart etc.(hey where else can you buy washer fluid,underwear and meat) and never in freezing wet or snow.Love our Sig. Happy motoring!

I could be wrong but the adaptive lights may not be covered under the warranty- specially the LEDs- did you check with them. If they are then I may get it for my 2019 CX-9.

I could be wrong but the adaptive lights may not be covered under the warranty- specially the LEDs- did you check with them. If they are then I may get it for my 2019 CX-9.

My E.W. Is with Zurich thru my dealer,Della Mazda autogroup.I did ask about the headlights and they said covered.It is there comprehensive plan,the highest plan offered.I will call Zurich and confirm.The adaptive headlight unit I believe has intergrated LED*s,which according to Mazda are good for 30 years,they should outlast the vehicle.There is a contol unit/ box that runs the system.The warranty states glass lenses,sealed beams,light bulbs are not covered.Like I say will confirm coverage.

My E.W. Is with Zurich thru my dealer,Della Mazda autogroup.I did ask about the headlights and they said covered.It is there comprehensive plan,the highest plan offered.I will call Zurich and confirm.The adaptive headlight unit I believe has intergrated LED*s,which according to Mazda are good for 30 years,they should outlast the vehicle.There is a contol unit/ box that runs the system.The warranty states glass lenses,sealed beams,light bulbs are not covered.Like I say will confirm coverage.

Back