4 month storage

4 month storage

Im needing to take my CX-5 off insurance for 4-5 months. Ill be keeping it at my house though.

Ill be able to start the car and run it around my block one a week, so 10 minute or so of engine running at best. Thoughts on any need to prep car? Im thinking not other than having the oil changed before I put it to rest...

Last edited:
Not really. You could get a CTEK battery charger which will keep the battery charged and healthy. You should still honour any oil change interval by time.

Top up your gas tank just before you store it, preferably with high test. It will stay fresher longer.
(With the tank full, it will minimize any chances of water (condensation) forming in the tank.)
Maybe add some gas stabilizer if there's still a lot of older gas in the tank.
Change the oil at the last minute, and inflate your tires a bit. Maybe set them closer to 40psi.

I can understand the weekly interval for some peace of mind but you are talking about starting ice cold 16 to 20 times yet never gett i ng up to real operating temp. You might run down the battery as well as poluting the oil.

At the other extreme you could just let it sit the whole time, other than trickle charge the battery 2 or 3 times.

The 'best' or most complete procedure might be to ' pickle the engine, fog the cylinders w fogger. Stabile in the gas and jack up or remove tires and battery. Store inside or under a propr cover.

For only 4 or 5 months that might be overkill.

I dont think I would start it if it is really cold. Below freezing temps help preserve things anyway but iif there are periods of warmer weather take advantage and drive it at highway speeds 30 or 40 minutes.

I agree pumping up the tires might help avoid flat spots. You could also roll it several feet on a periodic basis.

Below freezing temps help preserve things anyway but iif there are periods of warmer weather take advantage and drive it at highway speeds 30 or 40 minutes.

This won*t be practical. If the OP is taking the car off the road due to insurance issues (as stated in first post), driving the car on the highway uninsured is an unwise decision.

I*ll assume that is why OP wants to only take it around the block sporadically. Less likely an issue would occur that requires insurance.

A 10 minute run is bad because the engine never gets up to temp. A four month sit is nothing, so put a battery minder on it and top up the fuel and let it sit. Ed

I have used the additive "Stabil" to keep gasoline fresh for 6 months (in Midwest). Seems to work well as I never had any problems with sort up.

Last edited:
Guys thanks all for the input. I*m thinking the weekly run might do more harm then good. Stabil makes sense, use it in my outboard all the time... I like the idea of pulling the battery and trickle charging...I do that with my boat battery now..

Guys thanks all for the input. I*m thinking the weekly run might do more harm then good. Stabil makes sense, use it in my outboard all the time... I like the idea of pulling the battery and trickle charging...I do that with my boat battery now..

I have two homes. Winter and Summer. I have used 3-4 amp trickle chargers for years, plugged in for 5-7 months at a time. That is what they are made for. On top of that, I don't have to go through the ridiculous drive cycle on my 2005 Miata to pass emissions in AZ if it's always hooked up. My AZ cars, a Miata and an Element are hard wired and plugged in all Summer. The batteries last as long as they should. I used to pull them, AZ Summer heat doesn't do any favors to a battery if disconnected, and a trickle charger is safe, and cheap.

Top up your gas tank just before you store it, preferably with high test. It will stay fresher longer.
(With the tank full, it will minimize any chances of water (condensation) forming in the tank.)
Maybe add some gas stabilizer if there's still a lot of older gas in the tank.
Change the oil at the last minute, and inflate your tires a bit. Maybe set them closer to 40psi.

Premium gas stays fresh longer? That's the first time I've ever heard this. Care to explain?

You're other tips are spot on.

I would suggest (1) top the fuel up with premium fuel (no ethanol). Here in Ontario Shell is the only seller of non-ethanol premium gas. (2) Put fuel stabilizer in the tank. (3) Attached a Battery Minder https://www.batteryminders.com/1510-12-volt-maintenance-charger-desfulator-with-warranty or Battery Tender (not a trickle charger) to the battery, (4) Change oil & filter. (5) Place a car cover over it. (6) Bring it out in the spring. This is want I plan to do with my MX-5.

Wade

Last edited:
Pump up the tires, too. Give it 5 extra pounds to allow for colder temps and leakage. (oops, Buzzman already covered that.)

Premium gas stays fresh longer? That's the first time I've ever heard this. Care to explain?

You're other tips are spot on.

Premium gas generally has no ethanol in it, so that's what I was referring to. I should have been more specific.
Hopefully the OP can find some non ethanol gas in his area.
I run non ethanol premium in my snowblower, and it makes a world of difference, at least it does in a small engine like that.
Cheers.

Premium gas generally has no ethanol in it, so that's what I was referring to. I should have been more specific.
Hopefully the OP can find some non ethanol gas in his area.
I run non ethanol premium in my snowblower, and it makes a world of difference, at least it does in a small engine like that.
Cheers.

I agree that non ethanal gas is the way to go. Down here in the US just because the gas is 'premium' (higher octane) is no indication that the fuel is ethanal free. It all depends on the gas station not the grade of fuel.

Back