2007~2015 2008 CX-9 WHERE is the backup cam connector???

RGrandia

Greetings fellow Mazda owners -

I am in the process of moving into my new (to me) 2008 CX-9. So far so good. I love this beast.

So, I spent all afternoon putting in my Sony XAV-100 that I rescued from my Sienna. (Gave it to my Nephew - he was STOKED!)
Anywhoozle, I got most of it working except for the the OEM backup cam. Yes, I read all the posts about the poor sots who went before me and struggled mightily with finding a way to get the reverse switch working - I am pretty sure I can get that part whipped.

What I could not find anywhere on the intertubes is even the slightest hint of where to jack into the camera signal. I should mention that my whip has the non-Bose, non-nav system, so the camera screen is in the rear view mirror.

Can one of you wise sages hip me to the skinny? I will be much obliged. I figgered I'd ask before I go popping every panel from back to front. Further, if I can get'er done, I will be sure to post some pix and a description of how I make it all work.

Thanks in advance!

Greetings fellow Mazda owners -

I am in the process of moving into my new (to me) 2008 CX-9. So far so good. I love this beast.

So, I spent all afternoon putting in my Sony XAV-100 that I rescued from my Sienna. (Gave it to my Nephew - he was STOKED!)
Anywhoozle, I got most of it working except for the the OEM backup cam. Yes, I read all the posts about the poor sots who went before me and struggled mightily with finding a way to get the reverse switch working - I am pretty sure I can get that part whipped.

What I could not find anywhere on the intertubes is even the slightest hint of where to jack into the camera signal. I should mention that my whip has the non-Bose, non-nav system, so the camera screen is in the rear view mirror.

Can one of you wise sages hip me to the skinny? I will be much obliged. I figgered I'd ask before I go popping every panel from back to front. Further, if I can get'er done, I will be sure to post some pix and a description of how I make it all work.

Thanks in advance!

The camera in mirror setup was a dealer installed option on these cars back then. I installed it myself after buying the parts online. I'm going from memory here, and I did this 10 years ago, so I'm a bit fuzzy on the details...

The wire from the mirror runs across the front of the headliner, and then behind the left side a pillar trim. From there it snakes behind the dashboard to the footwell. In that area there were some electrical splices required to get the mirror to activate when the car is in reverse.

From that point on, the wire routes along the floor on the left side of the car - it is under the sill plates. After that I remember it going behind the very large trim piece in the rear cargo area and up to the cargo door.

I think you could probably reroute the wire from the footwell area and send it over to the head unit rather than up the A pillar.

Good luck.

Last edited:
Back