TPMS for Winter Tires

TOFUDDHA

Folks,

Just got a new set of winter tires and realised that my TPMS came on after the install. Turns out, I need to have a whole new set of TPM sensors purchased and installed for this second set of tires.

1) Is this true for the 2019 CX-5?
2) Worth it to purchase a whole new set of TPM sensors just for winter?

For the latter question, it doesn't feel like it's worth it to do so....

Folks,

Just got a new set of winter tires and realised that my TPMS came on after the install. Turns out, I need to have a whole new set of TPM sensors purchased and installed for this second set of tires.

1) Its true.
2) I wouldnt do it although I dont need winter tires.

Tire Pressure Sensor for 2017 CX-5 - $91.74 EACH!

Folks,

I would think that all you would have to do is reset the TPMS as per the instructions in your manual. When I got my winters installed on separate rims and new TPMS sensors installed I had to reset them, as per the manual instructions. Real easy to do.

This is what Mazda suggests for my 2018:

"Each tyre pressure sensor has a unique ID signal code. The signal code must be registered with the TPMS before it can work. The easiest way to do it is to have an Authorised Mazda Dealer change your tyre and complete ID signal code registration.

When an Authorised Mazda Dealer changes your vehicle's tyres, they will complete the tyre pressure sensor ID signal code registration.

If you or someone else changes tyres, you or someone else can also undertake the steps for the TPMS to complete the ID signal code registration. After tyres have been changed, switch the ignition ON, then back to ACC or OFF. Wait for about 15 minutes. After about 15 minutes, drive the vehicle at a speed of at least 25 km/h (16 mph) for 10 minutes and the tyre pressure sensor ID signal code will be registered automatically.

If the vehicle is driven within about 15 minutes of changing tyres, the tyre pressure monitoring system warning light will flash because the sensor ID signal code would not have been registered. If this happens, park the vehicle for about 15 minutes, after which the sensor ID signal code will register upon driving the vehicle for 10 minutes.
"

Last edited:
Thanks for this. You're right in what the manual says. Though, what I need to do is buy ANOTHER set of TPM sensors, as the current ones are sitting inside my all seasons (rims/tires). I'll need to buy a new set of TPM sensors and add them to this new set of winters. Seems like a big hassle and unnecessary cost just so that the TPMS indicator can remain off.

I would think that all you would have to do is reset the TPMS as per the instructions in your manual. When I got my winters installed on separate rims and new TPMS sensors installed I had to reset them, as per the manual instructions. Real easy to do.

This is what Mazda suggests for my 2018:

"Each tyre pressure sensor has a unique ID signal code. The signal code must be registered with the TPMS before it can work. The easiest way to do it is to have an Authorised Mazda Dealer change your tyre and complete ID signal code registration.

When an Authorised Mazda Dealer changes your vehicle's tyres, they will complete the tyre pressure sensor ID signal code registration.

If you or someone else changes tyres, you or someone else can also undertake the steps for the TPMS to complete the ID signal code registration. After tyres have been changed, switch the ignition ON, then back to ACC or OFF. Wait for about 15 minutes. After about 15 minutes, drive the vehicle at a speed of at least 25 km/h (16 mph) for 10 minutes and the tyre pressure sensor ID signal code will be registered automatically.

If the vehicle is driven within about 15 minutes of changing tyres, the tyre pressure monitoring system warning light will flash because the sensor ID signal code would not have been registered. If this happens, park the vehicle for about 15 minutes, after which the sensor ID signal code will register upon driving the vehicle for 10 minutes.
"

Folks,

At the price for sensors plus rims, it's worth considering just buying tires and remounting twice a year. Some places [Les Schwab anyway] will remount and balance your tires as long as you own them for free if you buy them from them. Too late for you, I guess.

It's funny you mentioned about remounting. I've always read (and been told) that remounting on the same set of rims will kill your tires eventually from all the repeated stretching...but I've never been able to figure out if this is true or people are just blowin' smoke....

At the price for sensors plus rims, it's worth considering just buying tires and remounting twice a year. Some places [Les Schwab anyway] will remount and balance your tires as long as you own them for free if you buy them from them. Too late for you, I guess.

It's funny you mentioned about remounting. I've always read (and been told) that remounting on the same set of rims will kill your tires eventually from all the repeated stretching...but I've never been able to figure out if this is true or people are just blowin' smoke....
In old days unmounting and mounting tires on the rim did have some risk of damaging rims or even tires. I personally had some bad scratches on the aluminum rim a couple of times when mounting the new tires. The newer and more sophisticated tire mounting machine wont use the edge of the rim as the leverage to mount the tire, hence the damage to the rim would only be on the inner side when the machine using the jaws to grab the rim. Tire is flexible and the damage while mounting should be minimum.

But I would avoid the frequent tire mounting / unmounting just to avoid such risks. And like shadonoz said its too late for you anyway. Leave the TPMS warning light alone with your winter tires on as it wont hurt anything. Check tire pressure more often. Put a black electrical tape over the TPMS warning light if the light is bothering you. :)

Thanks for this. You're right in what the manual says. Though, what I need to do is buy ANOTHER set of TPM sensors, as the current ones are sitting inside my all seasons (rims/tires). I'll need to buy a new set of TPM sensors and add them to this new set of winters. Seems like a big hassle and unnecessary cost just so that the TPMS indicator can remain off.

I don't see where you live but on the east coast of Canada where I live they pound the salt to the roads all winter. My Mazda dealer now carries aftermarket TPMS sensors with rubber stems to avoid possible corrosion, as they have had a few reports that the OEM Mazda TPMS sensors with metal stems have shown some corrosion. Here is a picture of the TPMS sensors they sold me that they installed on my separate winter rims.

autel sensor (2).jpg

Last edited:
I don't see where you live but on the east coast of Canada where I live they pound the salt to the roads all winter. My Mazda dealer now carries aftermarket TPMS sensors with plastic stems to avoid possible corrosion, as they have had a few reports that the OEM Mazda TPMS sensors with metal stems have showed some corrosion. Here is a picture of the TPMS sensors they sold me that they installed on my separate winter rims.

attachment.php

View attachment 221763
Yeah this Autel MX-Sensor 2 in 1 (315MHz + 433MHz) Clamp-in 100% Cloneable TPMS Programmable Sensors Tire Pressure Monitoring System (Rubber Valves) certainly is a good and much cheaper alternative for OEM sensors. $27.19 each on Amazon is a good price. Rubber valve is rust resistant which is good for wintery road conditions.

Back in the days, different place and different car I just ignored the tpms on the winter tire set. If you dont mind the light.
Otherwise just buy whatever is cheapest and works with mazda.
Definetely much better to have winter tires mounted on separate set of wheels.

Definetely much better to have winter tires mounted on separate set of wheels.

Absolutely....puts much less wear and tear on both the tires and rims from having to remove and reinstall tires twice a year. For those wanting an alloy 17" I would suggest doing as I did, or at least trying, to first ask their Mazda dealer if they have(or have access to) any old CX-7 17" alloy rims in stock. Another option is to find a good set of CX-7 alloy rims at an auto salvage yard. I got really good deal on my (discontinued CX-7) rims as my Mazda dealer wanted to clear them out. (2thumbs)

Lots of good advice here. I'll just second (or third) those who advocated ignoring the dash light. Especially since you already have tires mounted on wheels and installed on the car. Enjoy your winter tires.

For those who don't want to use electric tape, or who actually prefer the benefit of TPMS, be aware that registering your sensors is inexpensive. $22 at my local tire shop. Of course you'd have to do it twice a year.

You're lucky the car will reset itself with the different sensors after the change over. With my Scion, I have to bring it to a shop to register the different sensors every change over .

You're lucky the car will reset itself with the different sensors after the change over. With my Scion, I have to bring it to a shop to register the different sensors every change over .
Is this true the registration of using the 2nd set of TPMS sensors, either OEM or aftermarket, is always required? It seems, at least on your Scion, the registration is needed each time you use different set of 4 TMPS sensors, even if those had been registered before. So the TPMS module can only save the maximum of 4 IDs of TPMS sensors each time.

Is this true the registration of using the 2nd set of TPMS sensors, either OEM or aftermarket, is always required? It seems, at least on your Scion, the registration is needed each time you use different set of 4 TMPS sensors, even if those had been registered before. So the TPMS module can only save the maximum of 4 IDs of TPMS sensors each time.

Some cars can hold more than one set. Mine, unfortunately cannot. Incidentally, the local Toyota dealer wanted $180 to perform this biannual ritual, the local Firestone dealer only charges me $20...They sell equipment to do the registration yourself, kind of pricey but would probably pay for itself in three or four years if I keep the car that long.

Last edited:
I have two sets of tyres, summer and winter. The summer are original Mazda with TPMS and the winter are after market with another model of TPMS. They both register without having to do any thing on my part. Don't know if the after market winter tyre dealer (internet buy) did the registring for me but has worked perfectly for the past 3 years. This year the winter tyre sets had low pressure alarm come on. I just drove to the nearest petrol pump and filled in up to 2.2 bar of air in all tyres. Then just drove on. The light went off by itself after a few kilometers. No need to fiddle with any re set button.

Is there much difference between clamp-in and screw-in? I found the latter a bit cheaper on Walmart.

I had the TPMS light come on Saturday for the first time on my 2018 CX-5. I had aftermarket sensors previously installed by Mazda 5 years ago on my winter rims for my previous 2014 CX-5. When I went to COSTCO on Saturday to top up the air I went to reset the TPMS button but noticed that, in fact, there is now no button on the dash left of the steering wheel, as I had on my 2014. The COSTCO tire guy(who also owns a CX-5) said that it may need to be reset via the settings on the dash screen but he couldn't find such a setting so we decided that with the 2017 models on, when you top up your tires with air the TPMS will automatically reset itself. Sure enough, when I drove off, the TPMS light was off.

Back