Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: TPMS for Winter Tires

Registered Member

TPMS for Winter Tires

Folks,

Just got a new set of winter tires and realised that my TPMS came on after the install. Turns out, I need to have a whole new set of TPM sensors purchased and installed for this second set of tires.

1) Is this true for the 2019 CX-5?
    2) Worth it to purchase a whole new set of TPM sensors just for winter?

For the latter question, it doesn't feel like it's worth it to do so....

Donated: $8

2016 Mazda CX-5 GT AWD w/Tech

Arrow TPMS for Winter Tires

Quote Originally Posted by TOFUDDHA View Post
    Folks,

Just got a new set of winter tires and realised that my TPMS came on after the install. Turns out, I need to have a whole new set of TPM sensors purchased and installed for this second set of tires.

1) Itís true.
    2) I wouldnít do it although I donít need winter tires.

Tire Pressure Sensor for 2017 CX-5 - $91.74 EACH!

2018 Mazda CX-5 GT AWD non-Tech

Folks,

I would think that all you would have to do is reset the TPMS as per the instructions in your manual. When I got my winters installed on separate rims and new TPMS sensors installed I had to reset them, as per the manual instructions. Real easy to do.

This is what Mazda suggests for my 2018:

"Each tyre pressure sensor has a unique ID signal code. The signal code must be registered with the TPMS before it can work. The easiest way to do it is to have an Authorised Mazda Dealer change your tyre and complete ID signal code registration.

When an Authorised Mazda Dealer changes your vehicle's tyres, they will complete the tyre pressure sensor ID signal code registration.

If you or someone else changes tyres, you or someone else can also undertake the steps for the TPMS to complete the ID signal code registration. After tyres have been changed, switch the ignition ON, then back to ACC or OFF. Wait for about 15 minutes. After about 15 minutes, drive the vehicle at a speed of at least 25 km/h (16 mph) for 10 minutes and the tyre pressure sensor ID signal code will be registered automatically.

If the vehicle is driven within about 15 minutes of changing tyres, the tyre pressure monitoring system warning light will flash because the sensor ID signal code would not have been registered. If this happens, park the vehicle for about 15 minutes, after which the sensor ID signal code will register upon driving the vehicle for 10 minutes.
    "
    Last edited by kdaug; 11-15-2019 at 11:16 PM.

Registered Member

Thanks for this. You're right in what the manual says. Though, what I need to do is buy ANOTHER set of TPM sensors, as the current ones are sitting inside my all seasons (rims/tires). I'll need to buy a new set of TPM sensors and add them to this new set of winters. Seems like a big hassle and unnecessary cost just so that the TPMS indicator can remain off.

Quote Originally Posted by kdaug View Post
    I would think that all you would have to do is reset the TPMS as per the instructions in your manual. When I got my winters installed on separate rims and new TPMS sensors installed I had to reset them, as per the manual instructions. Real easy to do.

This is what Mazda suggests for my 2018:

"Each tyre pressure sensor has a unique ID signal code. The signal code must be registered with the TPMS before it can work. The easiest way to do it is to have an Authorised Mazda Dealer change your tyre and complete ID signal code registration.

When an Authorised Mazda Dealer changes your vehicle's tyres, they will complete the tyre pressure sensor ID signal code registration.

If you or someone else changes tyres, you or someone else can also undertake the steps for the TPMS to complete the ID signal code registration. After tyres have been changed, switch the ignition ON, then back to ACC or OFF. Wait for about 15 minutes. After about 15 minutes, drive the vehicle at a speed of at least 25 km/h (16 mph) for 10 minutes and the tyre pressure sensor ID signal code will be registered automatically.

If the vehicle is driven within about 15 minutes of changing tyres, the tyre pressure monitoring system warning light will flash because the sensor ID signal code would not have been registered. If this happens, park the vehicle for about 15 minutes, after which the sensor ID signal code will register upon driving the vehicle for 10 minutes.
    "

Registered Member

Thanks...you're a lucky person to not have to deal with winter tires...such a pain. But then again, I'd like to avoid any winter skids that could lead to an early death...

Quote Originally Posted by yrwei52 View Post
    1) It*s true.
    2) I wouldn*t do it although I don*t need winter tires.

Tire Pressure Sensor for 2017 CX-5 - $91.74 EACH!

Donated: $5

2017 CX-5 GT AWD PP

Folks,

At the price for sensors plus rims, it's worth considering just buying tires and remounting twice a year. Some places [Les Schwab anyway] will remount and balance your tires as long as you own them for free if you buy them from them. Too late for you, I guess.

Registered Member

It's funny you mentioned about remounting. I've always read (and been told) that remounting on the same set of rims will kill your tires eventually from all the repeated stretching...but I've never been able to figure out if this is true or people are just blowin' smoke....

Quote Originally Posted by shadonoz View Post
    At the price for sensors plus rims, it's worth considering just buying tires and remounting twice a year. Some places [Les Schwab anyway] will remount and balance your tires as long as you own them for free if you buy them from them. Too late for you, I guess.

It's funny you mentioned about remounting. I've always read (and been told) that remounting on the same set of rims will kill your tires eventually from all the repeated stretching...but I've never been able to figure out if this is true or people are just blowin' smoke....
    In old days unmounting and mounting tires on the rim did have some risk of damaging rims or even tires. I personally had some bad scratches on the aluminum rim a couple of times when mounting the new tires. The newer and more sophisticated tire mounting machine wonít use the edge of the rim as the leverage to mount the tire, hence the damage to the rim would only be on the inner side when the machine using the jaws to grab the rim. Tire is flexible and the damage while mounting should be minimum.

But I would avoid the frequent tire mounting / unmounting just to avoid such risks. And like shadonoz said itís too late for you anyway. Leave the TPMS warning light alone with your winter tires on as it wonít hurt anything. Check tire pressure more often. Put a black electrical tape over the TPMS warning light if the light is bothering you.

Thanks for this. You're right in what the manual says. Though, what I need to do is buy ANOTHER set of TPM sensors, as the current ones are sitting inside my all seasons (rims/tires). I'll need to buy a new set of TPM sensors and add them to this new set of winters. Seems like a big hassle and unnecessary cost just so that the TPMS indicator can remain off.

I don't see where you live but on the east coast of Canada where I live they pound the salt to the roads all winter. My Mazda dealer now carries aftermarket TPMS sensors with rubber stems to avoid possible corrosion, as they have had a few reports that the OEM Mazda TPMS sensors with metal stems have shown some corrosion. Here is a picture of the TPMS sensors they sold me that they installed on my separate winter rims.

autel sensor (2).jpg
    Last edited by kdaug; 11-20-2019 at 07:43 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by kdaug View Post
    I don't see where you live but on the east coast of Canada where I live they pound the salt to the roads all winter. My Mazda dealer now carries aftermarket TPMS sensors with plastic stems to avoid possible corrosion, as they have had a few reports that the OEM Mazda TPMS sensors with metal stems have showed some corrosion. Here is a picture of the TPMS sensors they sold me that they installed on my separate winter rims.

autel sensor (2).jpg
    Yeah this Autel MX-Sensor 2 in 1 (315MHz + 433MHz) Clamp-in 100% Cloneable TPMS Programmable Sensors Tire Pressure Monitoring System (Rubber Valves) certainly is a good and much cheaper alternative for OEM sensors. $27.19 each on Amazon is a good price. Rubber valve is rust resistant which is good for wintery road conditions.

Registered Member

cx5 gt +pp 2018

Back in the days, different place and different car I just ignored the tpms on the winter tire set. If you dont mind the light.
    Otherwise just buy whatever is cheapest and works with mazda.
    Definetely much better to have winter tires mounted on separate set of wheels.

Quote Originally Posted by cz5gt View Post
    Definetely much better to have winter tires mounted on separate set of wheels.
    Absolutely....puts much less wear and tear on both the tires and rims from having to remove and reinstall tires twice a year. For those wanting an alloy 17" I would suggest doing as I did, or at least trying, to first ask their Mazda dealer if they have(or have access to) any old CX-7 17" alloy rims in stock. Another option is to find a good set of CX-7 alloy rims at an auto salvage yard. I got really good deal on my (discontinued CX-7) rims as my Mazda dealer wanted to clear them out.

Registered Member

92 MX-3; 18 CX-5

Lots of good advice here. I'll just second (or third) those who advocated ignoring the dash light. Especially since you already have tires mounted on wheels and installed on the car. Enjoy your winter tires.

Donated: $5

2017 CX-5 GT AWD PP

For those who don't want to use electric tape, or who actually prefer the benefit of TPMS, be aware that registering your sensors is inexpensive. $22 at my local tire shop. Of course you'd have to do it twice a year.

Registered Member
    Donated: $15

2016.5 CX 5 Touring AWD, 2015 SCION XB

You're lucky the car will reset itself with the different sensors after the change over. With my Scion, I have to bring it to a shop to register the different sensors every change over .

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast