Results 1 to 14 of 14

Thread: Blind spot & lane keep not functional

  1. #1
    Registered Member

    '16 CX-9 Grand Touring

    Join Date
    Oct 2019
    Location
    Long Island
    Posts
    3

    Blind spot & lane keep not functional

    Hey all, I'm certain it's been addressed before but was unable to find a resolution for me. I have a 2016 cx9 with lane keep assist and blind spot monitoring, I'm familiar with the toggle buttons to side of steering wheel, and infotainment screen options however neither of these features are coming live, the toggle buttons do not indicate anything other then solid on or off (light). I attempted a few things like restarting, turning Bluetooth off (as stated by a mazda 6 user) and pressed all the buttons on and off its been about 3 days now and nothing. I've heard there is a way to reset these, using some functions. I'd really rather save a trip from the dealer, thanks!

  2. #2
    Registered Member

    2018 Madza CX-9 GT

    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    Siesta Key, Sarasota Florida
    Posts
    77
    Quote Originally Posted by Numbahz View Post
    Hey all, I'm certain it's been addressed before but was unable to find a resolution for me. I have a 2016 cx9 with lane keep assist and blind spot monitoring, I'm familiar with the toggle buttons to side of steering wheel, and infotainment screen options however neither of these features are coming live, the toggle buttons do not indicate anything other then solid on or off (light). I attempted a few things like restarting, turning Bluetooth off (as stated by a mazda 6 user) and pressed all the buttons on and off its been about 3 days now and nothing. I've heard there is a way to reset these, using some functions. I'd really rather save a trip from the dealer, thanks!
    I believe that Lane Keeping Assist and Blind Spot are two completely unrelated things. (And Bluetooth has nothing to do with it).

    I think you'll find each separate item in the settings menu - you need to make sure they are both active.

    And I think that the on/off button for Lane Keep Assist works exactly OPPOSITE than you (or anyone) might expect.
    (When you turn the Lane Keep button ON and it lights up - you are actually turning it OFF) (I think the button is labeled OFF).

    Lastly - don't set your expectations too high - the Lane Keep is pretty useless compared to the new - better - Lane Centering available on almost every newer models from almost everyone except Mazda - also looks like it is not any better in the 2020 models - a shame!

  3. #3
    Work in Progress sm1ke's Avatar
    Contributor

    2018 Mazda CX-9 Signature

    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Location
    MB, Canada
    Posts
    2,126
    OP, since you've already mentioned that you're familiar with the infotainment options, I think the issue is simply what Hockeye mentioned about the button's function. If Lane Keep is enabled in the infotainment settings, it is on by default whenever you start the car. Pressing the Lane Keep button on the dash will turn Lane Keep off. Also, keep in mind that lane keep will only function after reaching a certain speed (60 km/h (37 mph) or faster).

    http://www.mazda.ca/en/digital-owner.../05281400.html

    Quote Originally Posted by Hockeye View Post
    Lastly - don't set your expectations too high - the Lane Keep is pretty useless compared to the new - better - Lane Centering available on almost every newer models from almost everyone except Mazda - also looks like it is not any better in the 2020 models - a shame!
    Not to get too far off-topic, but Lane Keep Assist and Lane Trace are not the same thing. Mazda does offer Lane Trace (aka Lane Centering), just not in the NA market for whatever reason.

  4. #4
    Registered Member BRnPA's Avatar

    2018 CX-9 GT

    Join Date
    Sep 2019
    Location
    Philly Suburbs
    Posts
    69
    Quote Originally Posted by Numbahz View Post
    Hey all, I'm certain it's been addressed before but was unable to find a resolution for me. I have a 2016 cx9 with lane keep assist and blind spot monitoring, I'm familiar with the toggle buttons to side of steering wheel, and infotainment screen options however neither of these features are coming live, the toggle buttons do not indicate anything other then solid on or off (light). I attempted a few things like restarting, turning Bluetooth off (as stated by a mazda 6 user) and pressed all the buttons on and off its been about 3 days now and nothing. I've heard there is a way to reset these, using some functions. I'd really rather save a trip from the dealer, thanks!
    I had similar thoughts on the Blind Spot Monitoring. I had the sound warning set to 'High', but every time there was a car in my blind spot, the visual warnings would show up on the mirrors and HUD, but no sound. WTH! Then, I figured it out: The warning sound will go on IF you signal to change lanes and there is something in your blind spot. I have not tried something like moving to change lanes, w/o signaling, with something in the blind spot to see if the sound warning goes off. Might be a bit risky. Hope this helps.

  5. #5
    Registered Member

    2017 CX-9 Signature & 2019 CX-3 GS AWD

    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    383
    You also have to remember that the LKA will only work (steer you back) when vehicle detects visible lanes (comes up on the HUD as 2 parallel lines) and you veer off the lane (depending on the sensitivity settings via infotainment). If you don*t see the parallel lines on the HUD and you wander off the *supposed lane* you are in then LKA will not function/steer and beep or vibrate your steering wheel. This system was designed by Mazda to be not intrusive unlike other systems where it is intrusive and bounces the vehicle like a ping pong between lanes which can become annoying and can sometimes try and interfere with your steering during correction. I actually like this kind of LKA...

  6. #6
    Registered Member

    2018 Madza CX-9 GT

    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    Siesta Key, Sarasota Florida
    Posts
    77
    Ya - the problem in the automotive industry is that there is no standardization in ADAS (Advanced Driver Assistance Systems) naming. Speaking of "Lane Keeping" - there are now 3 different types of systems available...

    1. The old passive systems - detect lanes and warn you (only) when you drift outside of them, with no corrective steering torque being applied by the system.

    2. The more recent *active* systems - detect lanes and attempt to correct you if you drift out of your lane. These systems do not try to "auto-steer" for you - but only try to correct your path by applying corrective torque if you drift into the lane markings. Often they tend to ping-pong you back and forth inside the lane.

    (In the case of Mazda (the "Driver's Car"), Mazda tries to keep its LKA system "non-intrusive" (so it doesn't risk losing its "Driver" fans, who tend to want to be in charge of the "driving" and steering). The result with Mazda is you must steer all of the time - and as long as you stay more or less centered, the Mazda system will never interfere by applying any corrective torque. This is clearly their design intent. Unfortunately for Mazda, most other auto manufacturers have moved forward and also offer a newer *auto-steering" type of active Lane Keeping as described next).

    3. The newest systems * (Lane Centering), detect lanes and attempt to completely *auto-steer* for you, keeping you centered between the lane markers. (Like Tesla Auto Pilot and Cadillac Super Cruise). These systems do not wait until you drift out of the lane, but apply steering torque continuously to keep you centered in the lane.

    Unfortunately for we consumers, it is almost impossible to tell which type of *Lane Keeping Assist* a given vehicle has without actually driving and testing it yourself. And more discouraging, many auto journalists (and Youtube reviewers), don*t offer any detailed help, they simply report that a given vehicle has *Lane Keeping" and other safety assists.

    What drives me crazy is listening to some of these so-called auto- journalists complaining that the Lane Keeping is *too intrusive*, when in fact (if it is really a Lane Centering system), of course it is intrusive, that*s what it is designed to do, steer for you! Duh! It's as if most auto- journalists are still unaware of the growing importance of these Driver Assist Systems, and are still locked into only testing zero to sixty and other ancient behaviors.

  7. #7
    Registered Member


    Join Date
    Nov 2019
    Posts
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by Hockeye View Post
    Ya - the problem in the automotive industry is that there is no standardization in ADAS (Advanced Driver Assistance Systems) naming. Speaking of "Lane Keeping" - there are now 3 different types of systems available...

    1. The old passive systems - detect lanes and warn you (only) when you drift outside of them, with no corrective steering torque being applied by the system.

    2. The more recent *active* systems - detect lanes and attempt to correct you if you drift out of your lane. These systems do not try to "auto-steer" for you - but only try to correct your path by applying corrective torque if you drift into the lane markings. Often they tend to ping-pong you back and forth inside the lane.

    (In the case of Mazda (the "Driver's Car"), Mazda tries to keep its LKA system "non-intrusive" (so it doesn't risk losing its "Driver" fans, who tend to want to be in charge of the "driving" and steering). The result with Mazda is you must steer all of the time - and as long as you stay more or less centered, the Mazda system will never interfere by applying any corrective torque. This is clearly their design intent. Unfortunately for Mazda, most other auto manufacturers have moved forward and also offer a newer *auto-steering" type of active Lane Keeping as described next).

    3. The newest systems * (Lane Centering), detect lanes and attempt to completely *auto-steer* for you, keeping you centered between the lane markers. (Like Tesla Auto Pilot and Cadillac Super Cruise). These systems do not wait until you drift out of the lane, but apply steering torque continuously to keep you centered in the lane.

    Unfortunately for we consumers, it is almost impossible to tell which type of *Lane Keeping Assist* a given vehicle has without actually driving and testing it yourself. And more discouraging, many auto journalists (and Youtube reviewers), don*t offer any detailed help, they simply report that a given vehicle has *Lane Keeping" and other safety assists.

    What drives me crazy is listening to some of these so-called auto- journalists complaining that the Lane Keeping is *too intrusive*, when in fact (if it is really a Lane Centering system), of course it is intrusive, that*s what it is designed to do, steer for you! Duh! It's as if most auto- journalists are still unaware of the growing importance of these Driver Assist Systems, and are still locked into only testing zero to sixty and other ancient behaviors.
    So true, I read a ton of reviews from journalists, watched videos,and didn't know the cx9 system will not steer in lane. Not a huge deal for me, as much as I like the systems that steer, it's mainly when i'm eating on road. Which isn't often and I shouldn't be doing that anyway.

    Of course, had I read a forum about this I'd know. I just assumed all systems same, plus with all the other things we research when buying, eventually you run into a feature you missed or misunderstood. I don't hesitate to say I spent dozens of hours researching (ya I need a life!) and I missed this.

    I will say the car seems to track a nice line regardless, so it's easy to drive. Steering not touchy, at least with winter rubber.

  8. #8
    Registered Member

    2018 Madza CX-9 GT

    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    Siesta Key, Sarasota Florida
    Posts
    77
    I appreciate that *Lane Centering* (Basically "Auto-Steering"), is not (YET) desired by most customers. But I think the reason is that they are simply unaware that it exists, and/or have never experienced driving a vehicle on a highway where the vehicle actually steers (and brakes and accelerates) by itself.

    By my experience there is a second group of folks who have had some limited experience driving a vehicle with full Stop + Go Adaptive Cruise Control, and it has scarred the crap out of them (and they would never buy a car so equipped (or never use it if they had it).

    I believe folks who have always used standard Cruise Control in their daily driving (like myself), are the most interested in these new Driver Assist Systems.

    (Just like there are still drivers who prefer stick-shift to automatic transmissions, there will always still be many folks who love driving enough to want to fully engage by always being in complete control without any so-called *Assist Systems").

    While Mazda is in a shrinking category of auto makers still without *Lane Centering*, I am amazed to find they are in good company, actually GM, in their giant fleet of many different vehicles, (Chevy, GMC, Buick, Cadillac, etc.) only offer *Lane Centering* in a single vehicle! That's why I'm now shopping Kia/Hyundai, who maybe are the leaders in ADAS.

  9. #9
    Registered Member

    2019 Cx-9 GT

    Join Date
    Nov 2019
    Posts
    11
    BMW's extended traffic Jam assist and Cadillac's Super Cruise are ahead of the lane-centering feature - complete hands free lane centering at all speeds. Mazda is truly in a shrinking category of car makers that do not give lane centering assist feature. Again these features are getting baked every year.
    So do we want autopilot cars or "driver" cars

  10. #10
    Registered Member Ronzuki's Avatar

    2018 CX-5 Touring AWD

    Join Date
    Jun 2018
    Location
    Lancaster, PA
    Posts
    45
    Quote Originally Posted by Vdev View Post
    So do we want autopilot cars or "driver" cars
    'Driver' cars, and thank you very much Mazda for attempting to buck the ridiculous trend...the automotive world, technically speaking, is light years away from affordable and reliable auto pilot anything. Despite what many ego-maniacs like Elon Musk would have you believe with their marketing. Facts are proving quite the opposite.
    Ron
    ____________________
    2018 CX-5 Touring AWD Eternal Blue Mica
    2011 Suzuki SX4 iAWD
    2010 Suzuki Kizashi GTS iAWD

  11. #11
    Registered Member

    2019 CX-9 GT

    Join Date
    Nov 2019
    Location
    Georgia, United States
    Posts
    7
    I just bought a 2019 CX-9 GT after our 2019 Hyundai Santa Fe Ultimate was purchased back by Hyundai because it started smelling like coolant and they couldn't figure out how to fix it.

    When I bought the Santa Fe, one of the things I was most excited about was the lane keeping assist with lane centering, but after driving the car for a year, I discovered that adaptive cruise control is FAR more useful, and lane centering, in its current state at least, is more of a neat party trick. I could take my hands off the wheel for about 10 seconds at a time as long as I was going at least 40 mph, and as long as there weren't any breaks in the road lines and the curves weren't too sharp. But as soon as you grab the wheel again, the Santa Fe mostly stops helping you steer. Occasionally I would feel the system help turn the wheel a little bit, but I would also occasionally feel like I was fighting the wheel a bit if the lane was slightly tilted or if I wanted to be on one side of a lane. Overall, it didn't really take any stress off of me while driving like adaptive cruise control did. Probably the most useful thing about it was being able to take my hands off the wheel for a few seconds to stretch, unscrew a bottle cap, or grab my daughter's stuffed animal that she had thrown out of her car seat. But I wouldn't consider the feature make or break unless it's a system like Cadillac's Super Cruise that lets you keep your hands off the wheel for extended periods. 10 second at a time hands off driving is novel at first because it's like a brief glimpse into the future, but gets old quickly.
    Last edited by gtg465x; 11-27-2019 at 01:06 PM.

  12. #12
    Registered Member

    2018 Madza CX-9 GT

    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    Siesta Key, Sarasota Florida
    Posts
    77
    The public will want *Auto-Pilot Cars* (actually semi-autonomous Level 2)

    This is clear from the fact that every major manufacturer
    (Except Mazda and GM) offers it on almost all of their vehicles.

    It appears the new Telluride and Palisades are now just behind Tesla, Mazda's holding up the rear with GM.

    *Driver Cars" will of course always still be attractive to a (very) limited group of true car nuts who prefer stick-shifts

  13. #13
    Montana/Arizona

    2018.5 CX-9 AWD GT

    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Location
    Montana
    Posts
    146
    We have a 2018 CX-9 AWD GT and the lane keep is usually off because all it does is remind you what you should already know. That your drifting out of your lane. We mostly have it defeated because if only vibrates the hands a bit. My wife hates it because she says it scares her. I think it's because she's not paying attention unfortunately.

    I have to say I do like the lane keep on my 2019 Honda Ridgeline. It will actually steer the car to stay in the center of the lane even on a moderate curve. It's almost magical feeling. Note the pavement has to be well marked and it's not worth it unless your on a road where you're just cruising with no interruptions but I have to say with that and adaptive cruise control on its a very relaxing drive. Maybe too much so.....

  14. #14
    Registered Member

    2019 CX-9 Grand Touring

    Join Date
    Oct 2018
    Location
    Phoenix, AZ
    Posts
    83
    The LKA should be called Lane Departure Notification. Personally I prefer the system as it is, I can and want to drive but it is nice to have a notification should I stray out of my lane for some reason. I only turn it on when driving on fairly lightly travelled highway.

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 8
    Last Post: 05-30-2018, 12:44 AM
  2. Blind Spot Monitor
    By beefski in forum CX-9 Infotainment
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 11-19-2013, 04:49 PM
  3. CX-5 blind spot
    By piotrek91 in forum CX-5 General
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 02-19-2013, 01:19 PM
  4. blind spot ?
    By ashbmw in forum CX-9 General
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 04-27-2012, 04:02 AM
  5. Blind spot system
    By mixmasterlove in forum CX-9 Infotainment
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 12-23-2007, 03:40 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •