Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Mazda Ranked Highly by CR

Mazzippy70

Mazda CX-5 Touring

Quote Originally Posted by Paulson View Post
    You can't really compare a Mazda forum to a Honda one. Honda sells 3-4 times more vehicles than Mazda, so of course you're going to see more problems from owners.

If I went to an IPhone forum, I'm going to see more threads related to problems then lets say a LG forum.
    Yes you can. You need to compare different brands "relatively". For example, compare percent of complaints or defects per total units sold for a given year.

For those that want to know, I use the following sites to help me decide what car has the lease number of complaints and what those complaints are.
    1. To find out total units sold Year-To-Date, use the following link and select small SUV(for example)

https://www.goodcarbadcar.net/2019-u...sales-figures/

2. To find out total number of complaints:

https://www.carcomplaints.com/

While we are at it, let's compare 2019 CX-5 vs 2019 CR-V...both redesigned the same year, which is 2017

2019 Total units sold YTD(up to Oct 31):
    CX-5: 124,670
    CR-V: 314,083 (about 2.52 times more than CX-5)

Number of complaints:
    CX-5: 5 (% complaints=0.004%)
    CR-V: 247 (% complaints=0.079%)

So if you normalize it, the number of CR-V complaints is about 20 times more than that of CX-5 (247/(5*2.52))

The above is not bullet proof as not everyone that has issue take the time to file a complaint, but that is the same for every brand...so we can relatively compare to have an idea. Also, you can use NHTSA.gov to find out the number of complaints filed there and compare YTD sales figure.

Registered Member

Cx-5 Sport

I think these surveys are more indicative of build and quality control than long term durability. Mazda has had its own issues in the past with body rust and rotary engines but their pickups had a great reputation. I thi k Mazda really tries hard but they dont have the deep pockets and resources of the bigger companies and that has to be a challenge.

Donated: $25

2020 CX-5 Signature Azul Metalico

Thanks for that link. Used it to lodge complaints about a Renault Duster and a Nissan pickup I've owned . Hopefully will never need to report my new Signature.
    '55 Mercury w/ '54 motor
    '57 Mercury
    '63 Volvo 544
    '63 Chevy 10 pick-up
    ’65 Renault R-10
    '65 Saab 93 3 cyl
    '70 Saab 94 V4
    '56 IHC S-120 4x4 pick-up
    '72 Toyota FJ-40 Landcruiser
    '74 Ford F-250 4x4 pick-up
    '73 Triumph Spitfire
    '70 VW Bug
    '84 Toyota pick-up
    '87 Toyoya pick-up
    '90 Plymouth Laser Turbo
    '93 Dodge Dakota 4x4 pick-up
    ´95 Vitara 3dr (Colombia)
    ´02 Mazda 2200 stake bed (Colombia)
    ´06 Mazda 2600 4x4 stake bed (Colombia)
    ´07 Mitsubishi Montero 3dr (Colombia)
    ´08 Nissan Frontier D22 4dr 4x4 (Colombia)
    ’15 Renault Duster Dynamique 4x4 (Colombia)
    ’20 Mazda CX-5 Signature Turbo (Colombia)

Contributor

2018 Mazda CX-9 Signature

Quote Originally Posted by CX-5um View Post
    Its weird how CR ranks the Mx-5 Miata as the most reliable car...then again its a very simple car (no cylinder deactivation, no turbo, ect.). The CX-3 is basically the same approach...simple....but now the CX-9? What the heck. It has every electronic and mechanical gizmo Mazda offers and turbo too. What is it about the CX-9 that the CX-5 and Mazda6 (or Mazda3 vs CX-3) can't do?
    I think the Mazda3 is projected as the least reliable because its the newest of the available models. It probably has some "growing pains" as the first MY of the redesign. The CX-9 was the same story in 2016 (quoted in yrwei52's post, #22 of this thread).

Also might be worth mentioning that the 3 is currently the only Mazda in the US that is not built in Japan (US-market 3s are built in Mexico). Take that for whatever it's worth.

Registered Member

2018 cx5 GT

Its weird how CR ranks the Mx-5 Miata as the most reliable car...then again its a very simple car (no cylinder deactivation, no turbo, ect.). The CX-3 is basically the same approach...simple....but now the CX-9? What the heck. It has every electronic and mechanical gizmo Mazda offers and turbo too. What is it about the CX-9 that the CX-5 and Mazda6 (or Mazda3 vs CX-3) can't do?
    Probably because they don’t sell many at all so less problems. And they don’t get drivin a lot of
    Miles I’m sure either.

Registered Member

2018 cx5 GT

Quote Originally Posted by sm1ke View Post
    I think the Mazda3 is projected as the least reliable because its the newest of the available models. It probably has some "growing pains" as the first MY of the redesign. The CX-9 was the same story in 2016 (quoted in yrwei52's post, #22 of this thread).

Also might be worth mentioning that the 3 is currently the only Mazda in the US that is not built in Japan (US-market 3s are built in Mexico). Take that for whatever it's worth.
    The new Mazda 3 is a pile. They had about 6 stop sales for the model. And it took them 6 months until they even had a vcm program that would work with the car. So you couldn*t program key. Or check codes or do anything. Now that*s sad.
    They rushed it out and put to much emphasis into how soft the dash is instead of actually working on the quality of the actual car.

13' CX-5 and 16' Mazda6 both Touring w/Tech/Bose

Quote Originally Posted by sm1ke View Post

If CR is right then a used CX-9 (2018+) would be a steal. Now how about the CX-3. I thought it was made in Mexico?

Contributor

Now how about the CX-3. I thought it was made in Mexico?
    According to this press release, the CX-3 comes from Japan. The Hiroshima plant produces CX-3s for Asia, and the Hofu plant produces CX-3s for export. The press release is dated though, not sure if anything regarding CX-3 production has changed since then.
    Sigs are visible only in your first post on a page. To change your thread display preferences, click here and enable 'Always Show Signature'.

Donated: $25

2020 CX-5 Signature Azul Metalico

Regarding Mazda reliability CR dis say the Mazda 3 was the lowest rated from the mark. I don't know if it's sold in the US or not but a friend bought his girlfriend here in Colombia a Mazda 2. I think it is assembled in Mexico. It seems to be a good enough car but has required some astoundingly early maintenance / repair (not withstanding driver behavior). She has had it for just two years. The front brake pads were used up at about 16,000 kilometers, it has required a new battery and service personnel at Mazda told her an engine mount was bad. This is all second hand information of course so not definitive.
    Sigs are visible only in your first post on a page. To change your thread display preferences, click here and enable 'Always Show Signature'.

Mazzippy70

Mazda CX-5 Touring

I need help deciding whether to get another Mazda with Cylinder Deactivation

I have a 19 CX-5 Touring (wife driving it) and the CD recall was completed in July/19. It drives fine since new.
    I am in need of another car and currently considering the 2020 3 Base Hatchback or another 2019 CX-5 Touring.
    Unfortunately, all Hatchback trims comes with CD and 2.5T engine is not an option for CX-5(out of my price range).
    Nothing out there I want (the 3 sedan Select trim has no CD, but it is a sedan; CR-V with oil dilution issue; Rav4 noisy engine, loud on Hwy, comparably expensive).

In light of the recent Reliability ranking from CR that placed Mazda as #2, I can assume:

1. Perhaps CD/rocker arm issues are few and far in between, otherwise Mazda would not be ranked#2.
    2. CD feature is used on many Mazda models including the 6, 3, CX-5 equipped with 2.5L NA - so if CD issue is big, it would have spread across 3 product lines and Mazda would not be ranked #2.
    3. CR probably completed the survey by Oct 31 and the CD fix recall was officially out mid August. I think there are about 9 months worth of survey data to collect from 2019 owners - a good amount of time.

Are my assumptions correct that perhaps CD issue is rare?
    Also, the rocker arm is part of the powertrain so the warranty is 5yr/60k - long enough that if there is a CD related issue, it would have shown within 5 yrs span?

What should I do? Thanks and looking forward for your inputs/feedback.

Registered Member

2019 CX-5 Signature

Quote Originally Posted by Tran7270 View Post

I have a 19 CX-5 Touring (wife driving it) and the CD recall was completed in July/19. It drives fine since new.
    I am in need of another car and currently considering the 2020 3 Base Hatchback or another 2019 CX-5 Touring.
    Unfortunately, all Hatchback trims comes with CD and 2.5T engine is not an option for CX-5(out of my price range).
    Nothing out there I want (the 3 sedan Select trim has no CD, but it is a sedan; CR-V with oil dilution issue; Rav4 noisy engine, loud on Hwy, comparably expensive).

In light of the recent Reliability ranking from CR that placed Mazda as #2, I can assume:

1. Perhaps CD/rocker arm issues are few and far in between, otherwise Mazda would not be ranked#2.
    2. CD feature is used on many Mazda models including the 6, 3, CX-5 equipped with 2.5L NA - so if CD issue is big, it would have spread across 3 product lines and Mazda would not be ranked #2.
    3. CR probably completed the survey by Oct 31 and the CD fix recall was officially out mid August. I think there are about 9 months worth of survey data to collect from 2019 owners - a good amount of time.

Also, the rocker arm is part of the powertrain so the warranty is 5yr/60k - long enough that if there is a CD related issue, it would have shown within 5 yrs span?

Go for another Mazda! I have driven a lot of CX-5s (2018 to 2019 and including the signature I own from mid 2018 to present and none of them had any issued related to cylinder deactivation. I think a user on this forum brought up the rocker arm issue and had his engine completely replaced.

I think some of the 2020 models will have engines with cylinder deactivation and some without.

Contributor

First, why are you considering a second vehicle that's exactly the same as the first? If it were me, I would try a different trim level or a different MY at least. You could use the wife's car for family/cargo/road trips and a different car for what I assume would be your daily driver/commuter car.

I would lease the brand new 3 and see what comes out of the inline 6 development (or electrification, if you're into that), then decide from there.

I would agree with your assumption. That said, I'm sure yrwei52 will chime in about CD (he hates it with a passion). He'll make some good points about CD technology in general being unproven and potentially causing long-term issues down the road for a very minor gain in mpg, and he won't be wrong. Mazda's CD is fairly new, so we don't know how different it is from the other brands that do have issues (if it is different at all).

Donated: $8

2016 Mazda CX-5 GT AWD w/Tech

Arrow Mazda Ranked Highly by CR

First thing first, the survey by Consumer Reports we’re discussing here is “predicted” brand reliability. It based on previous years’ reliability data CR collected. Cylinder deactivation problem, particularly the falling rocker arm issue, was first exposed here by Go Hawks on 5/3/2019. A safety recall forced by NHTSA was issued on 6/27/2019. Those failures have not been collected by CR until the beginning of 2020, hence CR “predicts” high reliability on Mazda for 2020.

Also, before the recall, many CX-5 owners didn’t know they have problem with fallen rocker arm. And those who suspected they have CD problem in early days had to fight with Mazda to have the engine replaced. In other words, the problem in early days was mostly hidden, and it’s hard to verify.

The design of cylinder deactivation is not new. GM had tried in 1980’s and failed miserably. Others such as Honda have tried and the result was the class-action lawsuit. As I said before, the problem on cylinder deactivation is its design concept, the imbalance of thermal effect, and inefficiency of air compression on inactive cylinders, all of these can’t be overcome. The fix of these on those vehicles currently with CD is to make activation and de-activation cycle short and frequent to average out the thermal effect, and activate the CD in much less time.

I’ve said before, if you keep your new vehicle for short period of time, like 4~5 years with 50K miles and you’d trade it in to get another new car, you don’t have to worry too much about the CD, as new cylinder deactivation should be trouble-free during this period. I’m concerned on CD is because I usually keep my car as long as I can and CD’s long-term problems are proven.

Mazda’s falling rocker arm on its CD system is a different story. Mazda uses hydraulic lifter to control the valve activation and deactivation. But they failed to design something to hold the rocker arms physically. Hence the rocker arm would be falling when the condition is meet. Until Mazda changes the design on hardware, using the software alone can’t truly fix a hardware problem.

I don’t mind to have 2 identical vehicles If they’re great cars. And I almost had 2 CX-5’s until Mazda suddenly came out the cylinder deactivation in 2018.

2017 Mazda CX-5 GT, 2016 Mazda6 iGT, 2014 Mazda3 sGT hatchback

Personally, I would avoid stuff like iStop, iEloop, CD (cylinder deactivation, etc.).
    They don't save much fuel/$$$ in real world usage if you consider the extra cost to you.
    For example, iStop and iEloop both require special battery (deep cycle?).
    Just replaced mine on '16 Mazda6 GT. It costs $400-$500! No kidding.
    Instead of $80 from Costco, you need dealer to program it. (due to iEloop)
    In case you did not notice this, iEloop is no longer used in Mazda USA lineup.

iStop has the same issue on battery. Besides, it causes concerns from owners in many countries.
    Many owners seek way to permanently turn it off.
    Does the fuel it save pays for the new starter and extra-expensive battery?
    iStop is not for sale in USA either.

CD? I would just get the turbo. Complex system costs money in the long run.
    If I have a choice, I would avoid turbo also. I am old-school.
    Last edited by ceric; 11-21-2019 at 06:07 PM.
    2016 Mazda6 iGT + Tech Pkg
    ....Sonic Silver Mica / Parchment
    2014 Mazda3 sGT hatchback
    ....Soul Red Metallic / Almond

Registered Member

Mazda 6s 2004, Nissan Leaf SL 2012

Quote Originally Posted by MyFirstMazda View Post
    Speaking of reliability, I don't know how reliable CR is, they have Porche as #4 and Honda at #12. In general I think Mazda is making very reliable cars and the odds of getting a good one is high.
    CR ratings are based on data from their subscribers. it is not CR that are doing the rating, though the compile and weight the responses.

Honda has had a lot of problems with fuel seeping into the oil of their 1.5L engines recently and that has caused problems. That may be a reason for their lower rating.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast