Head gasket blown? 2014 2.5l CX-5

Fish1

Contributor
:
Mazda 2014 CX-5 GT AWD w/tech
So I am driving home on the highway last week and and get high temp warning. I drive a couple miles to the next exit and find that the coolant level is low. I put in some from a gas station and get the car home. I can not find any signs of a leak and checked the thermostat and its all good. I ended up changing the oil and coolant and drove the car around for about 30 minutes and it all seemed good. Next day go out for a 20 minute drive and high temp warning goes on. I stop and check coolant and its down about a half gallon.... I drive it home again and take off oil fill cap and I see water has collected in the cap and foam. I am not seeing any signs of white smoke out the exhaust and cant find any other signs of a leak. This car only has 85K miles has anyone else had issues with head gasket on this car?

Is this one of those engines like the CX-9 where the water pump, upon failure, promptly dumps coolant into the engine?

So I am driving home on the highway last week and and get high temp warning. I drive a couple miles to the next exit and find that the coolant level is low. I put in some from a gas station and get the car home. I can not find any signs of a leak and checked the thermostat and its all good. I ended up changing the oil and coolant and drove the car around for about 30 minutes and it all seemed good. Next day go out for a 20 minute drive and high temp warning goes on. I stop and check coolant and its down about a half gallon.... I drive it home again and take off oil fill cap and I see water has collected in the cap and foam. I am not seeing any signs of white smoke out the exhaust and cant find any other signs of a leak. This car only has 85K miles has anyone else had issues with head gasket on this car?
Have not seen any overheating reports here other than SkyActiv-D 2.2L diesel.

Did you use required FL-22 coolant?

Are you gaining oil level from coolant leaking into oil? Try running a compression check, all cylinders should read close...

Have been here for many years and have not seen any water to oil issues on the skyactiv-G on this forum. Until yours.

Try running the engine without the radiator cap on and check if you see any bubbling or noise coming from the filler neck, be careful when you take the cap off. Also, look for any oil floating in there. The only other thing you can do is give it a compression test.

Have not seen any overheating reports here other than SkyActiv-D 2.2L diesel.

Did you use required FL-22 coolant?

At the gas station I used what was a available a general 50/50 mix that said compatible with all coolants. I then got Pentosin Pentofrost A2 which was listed as a FL-22 coolant.

Does it start fine or struggles to start?

It has been running and starting fine. Does not stutter and have not noticed a loss of power. I did have a loss of fuel economy but had a bad front brake caliper causing a rub.

Try running the engine without the radiator cap on and check if you see any bubbling or noise coming from the filler neck, be careful when you take the cap off. Also, look for any oil floating in there. The only other thing you can do is give it a compression test.

I did not do the bubble test but did see several drops of oil in the coolant.

At the gas station I used what was a available a general 50/50 mix that said compatible with all coolants. I then got Pentosin Pentofrost A2 which was listed as a FL-22 coolant.
Last time when I encountered such situation with a sudden radiator leak, I added distilled water instead of any unknown coolants. Thus its a lot easier to use proper coolant after the fix, and not afraid of mixing with previously added unknown coolant which is hard to flush it out completely.

Is there a cooler for the engine oil? I thought the oil cooler would be for the ATF?
Usually the engine oil cooler is on top of oil filter where the oil filter is screwed on.

Do you have any oil in your coolant, or any pink milky contamination in engine oil?

There was some oil visible floating on top of the coolant and some water in the engine oil.

Absolutely do a compression test if you have the ability. Sounds like a blown head gasket. I'm actually surprised a lot more of this problem hasn't cropped up with the high compression and all.

Back