2017~2024 Best Winter Tires for the CX-5?

I have a 2019 CX-5 GT and I have been shopping around looking at many reviews on winter tires and ratings and I would like to know people's experience on which winter tires are best suited for the cx-5. Also for just winter use, I wanted to know whether the 17 or 18 inch tires are better in the winter.

What do people think about these tires for the winter?
Michelin X Ice X3
Blizzak DM V2
Continental ContiWinter Contact TS 830P
Blizzak WS-90

Thanks.

17" Tires cost less than 18".

Performance wise, the 18" should be better as the profile is lower making for less of a squishy ride.

17" has a high profile and provides that extra cushion with the pot holes.

All of the tires you list are great performers. Further posts in this thread will have members touting they swear by one of these brands over the other.

Check Tirerack.com for user reviews or Consumer Reports. I believe they rank the Michelin the top performer and you also pay the premium price.

I have a 2018 CX-5 GT which has 225/55-19" summer tires. When I bought the car new last winter, Mazda had a sales promotion which included a winter tire package. The winter tires Mazda supplied were 225/65-17". Since they have a higher sidewall, they have the same diameter as the 19" tires. Personally I find that the higher sidewalls are great up here in Northern Ontario as tires can get pretty stiff when temperatures fall under -20C.

What SonicBoy said above.

Personally, I've had the X Ice Xi3 and the WS-80 on my two previous cars. On the CX-9 I have DM-V2s. I wasn't let down by any of them.

My wife's experience has been with the Cooper Discoverer M+S in Mammoth Lakes CA, which had a record snowfall last winter, and her car, although not a CX-5 then, (but is going to be this winter) was one of very few on the road.

I previously had Bridgestone Blizzak WS-70's on my first CX-5. I bought 225/65/17's as I got a really good deal on a new set of discontinued 17" CX-7 alloys. I absolutely loved these tires. Now, my wife runs Michelin X Ice on her Corolla but I have always thought my WS-70's performed better(despite being on very different vehicles). So, when my WS-70's needed replacing this fall I was only considering the new WS-90 or the DM- V2. On other threads here the choice was split between these two. When I went to the Bridgestone website the seven Tire Performance Graph Specs appeared to favor the DM-V2 so that is the tire I bought. That is the same one that my COSTCO tire rep recommended to me as well. On another note the new WS-90's have fewer sipes than the DM-V2 which I assume would be a disadvantage on ice. A Bridgestone rep told me the new silica compound in the WS-90 made up for there being fewer sipes, BUT, my belief is that they reduced the number of sipes in order to give the tread blocks more rigidity, as they made the tread slightly thicker on the new WS-90's to give them longer wear.

Last edited:
Just like Voodooman above, I opted to minus size from 19's to 17's for a better ride in winter/pothole season. Went with my favourite winter tire, Nokian Hakkapiliitta R3's and they are great, put them on some alloy wheels and I think I like the look better than my summers.

I went down from the 19s to 17s for snow tires. I have had good success with Michelins on our other vehicles and put a set of Michelin X Ice X3 on my CX5.

Wade

purchased my first car, 2017 Mazda CX-5 GT, but still pretty new ... got x-ice xi2 tires for upcoming winter in Toronto (downsized to 225-65-17), but not sure what size steel wheels to use? I see that a few of you have the same tire size, so thought I would ask! I assume I would need to purchase bolts too and not use the alloy ones with the OEM

purchased my first car, 2017 Mazda CX-5 GT, but still pretty new ... got x-ice xi2 tires for upcoming winter in Toronto (downsized to 225-65-17), but not sure what size steel wheels to use? I see that a few of you have the same tire size, so thought I would ask! I assume I would need to purchase bolts too and not use the alloy ones with the OEM
Not sure where you can get steelers for your winter tires, since we don’t have such need in our area, but do a search here you should be able to find some information.

Just a reminder, in addition to extra wheels, you also need TPMS tire sensors for each wheel, unless you don’t mind the warning indicator which will be on all the time.

Ahchau... I down sized from the OEM 19 inch to Michelin X-ice 225/65R-17 for my winter tires. You will need to buy 17 inch steel rims with the correct bolt pattern & width based on the year and model of your vehicle. Look up a reputable tire dealer in the TO area and give them the tire size and your vehicle information. They will be able to source out the correct steel rims and mount/balance your snow tires. They will also be able to advise you if you need new lug nuts for the steel rims. The hub concentric rims that I purchased used the same OEM acorn lug nuts. I am pretty diligent about checking tire pressure so I don't have TPMS installed in my winter tires... the warning light is manageable IMO vs. the added cost of purchasing 4 new ones.

Last edited:

When I went down to 17" winter tires (from my 19"OEM all seasons) I lucked out on a set of discontinued CX-7 alloy rims from my Mazda dealer at a really good clearout price. If you could find a set of these it would be an excellent option to steel wheels.

You can buy used 17" alloy Mazda 3 wheels for less than new steel wheels. They'll also have the right hub diameter and close enough offset.

I wonder if some Mazda Tribute rims would work?. I picked up a Mazda alloy 17" rim with tire for $60 and it's marked 7.5 x 17. That might be wider than OEM so you could adjust for that. It was on Craigslist.

Back