CX-9 Parts availability

:
2018 CX-9 SIGNATURE
An uninsured motorist backed into the CX-9. Its in the shop for repair; Im out of 200 bucks for the deductible and in a rental for three days. I had to really bargain hard for all OEM parts but I got it. A rare occurrence indeed.

I picked a 33 year locally owned shop... great staff with great reviews.

Just got a text from the insurance claim person saying they talked with the shop owner and he says theres one part that will not be available for 2-3 weeks.

I can still pick up and drive the car tomorrow but will have to come back to the shop to have them install the backordered part.

Anybody else dealing with this terrible first world problem? thanks

Last edited:
My car's been in the shop to fix two hit-and-run incidents that resulted in some relatively minor paint damage. They replaced some of the plastic cladding on the rear doors and around the rear wheel arches, as well as all of the plastic cladding on the rear bumper. I think it was in the shop for a week if I remember correctly. The shop covered my Enterprise rental for the week, which, at first, was a Ford Flex. After two days the Flex's tire developed a leak, and I had to swap over to a base model Corolla. Those few days were miserable, lol.

I got footage of one of the hit-and-run incidents and had to fight to get the deductible waived (as it clearly wasn't my fault). Other driver was an uninsured minor. I still had to pay the $200 deductible for the other instance. One good thing that came out of all this: an investigator met with me to take my statement on the incident. He then located a bunch of different suspects and had me identify the other driver, and the driver got charged.

What part is on backorder? Illuminated grille surround?

Last edited:
"I had to really bargain hard for all OEM parts"
I'm a bit surprised that there are aftermarket parts for a car sold in such limited volumes as our CX9s. They're not ubiquitous like a CR-V or RAV or Outback. Anyway, my car insurer, Safeco, offers an optional coverage for only OE parts. About $25/year per car.

"I had to really bargain hard for all OEM parts"
I'm a bit surprised that there are aftermarket parts for a car sold in such limited volumes as our CX9s. They're not ubiquitous like a CR-V or RAV or Outback. Anyway, my car insurer, Safeco, offers an optional coverage for only OE parts. About $25/year per car.

Not sure about the rest of the car but there are aftermarket rear bumper covers out there.

Im now aware of the optional OEM coverage as my insurer conveniently told me it was available... AFTER the collision.

My car's been in the shop to fix two hit-and-run incidents that resulted in some relatively minor paint damage. They replaced some of the plastic cladding on the rear doors and around the rear wheel arches, as well as all of the plastic cladding on the rear bumper. I think it was in the shop for a week if I remember correctly. The shop covered my Enterprise rental for the week, which, at first, was a Ford Flex. After two days the Flex's tire developed a leak, and I had to swap over to a base model Corolla. Those few days were miserable, lol.

I got footage of one of the hit-and-run incidents and had to fight to get the deductible waived (as it clearly wasn't my fault). Other driver was an uninsured minor. I still had to pay the $200 deductible for the other instance. One good thing that came out of all this: an investigator met with me to take my statement on the incident. He then located a bunch of different suspects and had me identify the other driver, and the driver got charged.

What part is on backorder? Illuminated grille surround?

The part on back order is a thin, fake chrome strip that goes around the rear bumper. Its considered an accessory as theres a front bumper piece that comes in the same box. I just picked the car up today and I gotta say, I kinda like the way it looks without it. I may decide to leave it off.

BTW, I found out the reason my insurance company paid for OEM parts. Mazda decided to sell their parts at after market prices!

Sorry to hear about your uninsured driver incidents. An investigator rounded up suspects for your case? W O W Thats unheard of here. Glad everything worked out. I hope the $200 gets recovered.

Last edited:
Ahh I see, yeah I know which piece you're talking about. I've been toying with the idea of blacking that piece out. The rear does look a tiny bit cleaner without it.

Sorry to hear about your *uninsured driver* incidents. An investigator rounded up suspects for your case? W O W That*s unheard of here. Glad everything worked out. I hope the $200 gets recovered.

I ended up getting a refund for the $200 deductible paid for the incident with the uninsured driver. This only happened because I had irrefutable evidence (dashcam video) that the incident was 100% not my fault, and that the other driver was being negligent. Before I had submitted the video, they kept insisting that I would be on the hook because they were not able to contact the other driver. I had to really push them to take the next step of submitting video to police, and that's when they brought the investigator in. When the investigator had identified some potential suspects, the insurance company finally refunded my deductible.

I was on the hook for the $200 deductible from the other hit and run, which happened while I was parked. I had a smaller storage card in my dashcam at the time, so by the time I noticed the damage, the card had already overwritten the old footage that would have captured the hit.

Ahh I see, yeah I know which piece you're talking about. I've been toying with the idea of blacking that piece out. The rear does look a tiny bit cleaner without it.

I ended up getting a refund for the $200 deductible paid for the incident with the uninsured driver. This only happened because I had irrefutable evidence (dashcam video) that the incident was 100% not my fault, and that the other driver was being negligent. Before I had submitted the video, they kept insisting that I would be on the hook because they were not able to contact the other driver. I had to really push them to take the next step of submitting video to police, and that's when they brought the investigator in. When the investigator had identified some potential suspects, the insurance company finally refunded my deductible.

I was on the hook for the $200 deductible from the other hit and run, which happened while I was parked. I had a smaller storage card in my dashcam at the time, so by the time I noticed the damage, the card had already overwritten the old footage that would have captured the hit.

I understand the having to really push them to take the next step...

In a much broader sense, this seems to be THE way of dealing with cable, cellphone, insurance companies and others. In many cases, you have to fight for what youre required to get or more often, what youre told they will do for you.

For example, my son was in a wreck while delivering for Doordash. The police report was so poorly written, it was impossible to tell who was at fault. My son got blamed.

I had to write a state senator and file a complaint with the state insurance division to get Doordash to pay the 3k claim which they were required to pay. This took many hours of gathering information, writing emails and fielding phone calls. The a**holes at Doordash and Assurant insurance finally paid.

If you know anyone driving for any of these online platform companies they better get commercial drivers insurance. A insurance collections rep told me Uber Eats, Doordash, etc. have all refused liability claims while advertising youre covered.

Sorry about the digression! :)

Last edited:
I understand the *having to really push them to take the next step...*

In a much broader sense, this seems to be THE way of dealing with cable, cellphone, insurance companies and others. In many cases, you have to fight for what you*re required to get or more often, what you*re told they will do for you.

For example, my son was in a wreck while delivering for Doordash. The police report was so poorly written, it was impossible to tell who was at fault. My son got blamed.

I had to write a state senator and file a complaint with the state insurance division to get Doordash to pay the 3k claim which they were required to pay. This took many hours of gathering information, writing emails and fielding phone calls. The a**holes at Doordash and Assurant insurance finally paid.

If you know anyone driving for any of these *online platform* companies they better get commercial drivers insurance. A insurance collections rep told me Uber Eats, Doordash, etc. have all refused liability claims while advertising *you*re covered.*

Sorry about the digression! :)

Wow, now that's crazy! A huge win as well, congrats on that victory. That's some very useful info.

Back