Thread: What's the real range of the key fob?

Registered Member

CX-5 (2019)

What's the real range of the key fob?

The manual for my 2019 CX-5 says that I shouldn't be able to open the doors or the liftgate using the key fob if I'm more than 0.8m (a little more than 2 1/2 feet) away from the car.

However, when trying to figure out why my liftgate "mysteriously opens" (as seen in a few other threads here), I managed to open the liftgate using the key fob button from about 10 feet away, which answered my question - the same thing happened with my previous car, albeit with the panic alarm.

What is the actual "operating distance" of the key fob?

Contributor

2018 Mazda CX-9 Signature

Quote Originally Posted by That Don Guy View Post
    The manual for my 2019 CX-5 says that I shouldn't be able to open the doors or the liftgate using the key fob if I'm more than 0.8m (a little more than 2 1/2 feet) away from the car.

However, when trying to figure out why my liftgate "mysteriously opens" (as seen in a few other threads here), I managed to open the liftgate using the key fob button from about 10 feet away, which answered my question - the same thing happened with my previous car, albeit with the panic alarm.

What you read in the manual details the range of the proximity sensors to the key fob. Meaning if you are within 0.8m from a sensor, you can press the door lock/unlock button or the liftgate open/close button and it will sense the key fob and operate without needing an input from the fob itself. The manual operation of the key fob has a much longer range - I want to say 15-20 feet with a clear line of sight, but I'm not 100% sure on the exact distance.
    Sigs are visible only in your first post on a page. To change your thread display preferences, click here and enable 'Always Show Signature'.

Much farther then 15-20 feet. I'd guess at least 30 yards minimum.

2019 Mazda CX-5 AWD

Quote Originally Posted by That Don Guy View Post

Yeah, that can't be right. It would defeat the purpose of a wireless transmitter.

2017 Mazda CX-5 GT, 2016 Mazda6 iGT, 2014 Mazda3 sGT hatchback

In an open parking lot, the fob has an effective range of at least 50 ft using the button.
    I sometimes use the button to locate my car at night and light up the interior.
    2016 Mazda6 iGT + Tech Pkg
    ....Sonic Silver Mica / Parchment
    2014 Mazda3 sGT hatchback
    ....Soul Red Metallic / Almond

Registered Member
    Contributor

2019 CX-5 Reserve Eternal Blue

Central Virginia, USA...the winding rural part
    Quote Originally Posted by ceric View Post
    In an open parking lot, the fob has an effective range of at least 50 ft using the button.
    I sometimes use the button to locate my car at night and light up the interior.
    ^^This^^

I've opened the hatch from way far away when shopping.

2016.5 CX-5 Grand Touring AWD titanium/black 2016 Miata Club

Try this.

Find the limits of the fobs transmission capabilities by trial and error. Now once you find the limit and your fob absolutely will not work at that distance, place the fob under your chin and try it again. I know, it's silly but your head will increase the range somehow. I've not tried it for any of my two Mazdas but it worked for my VW, Chevy, and my Pontiac.
    "Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Registered Member
    Contributor

2019 CX-5 Reserve Eternal Blue

Central Virginia, USA...the winding rural part
    Quote Originally Posted by Conrad 16.5 View Post
    Try this.

Find the limits of the fobs transmission capabilities by trial and error. Now once you find the limit and your fob absolutely will not work at that distance, place the fob under your chin and try it again. I know, it's silly but your head will increase the range somehow. I've not tried it for any of my two Mazdas but it worked for my VW, Chevy, and my Pontiac.
    So in order for this to work, do you need to have braces?

Registered Member

2019 cx-5 signature. 2019 cx-3 awd touring

Quote Originally Posted by Conrad 16.5 View Post
    Try this.

+1 on this comment,
    but also raise your other arm to get a more effective range..sounds silly but it actually works

Registered Member

2019 Mazda CX-5 Signature

Don't forget to face (stare at) the car! Your skull acts as a parabolic antenna focusing the RF signal and beaming the concentrated signal out your eye sockets toward the target. The effect on your brain-cells is just collateral damage.

Registered Member

2019 cx-5 signature. 2019 cx-3 awd touring

Quote Originally Posted by Avoidin Deer View Post
    So in order for this to work, do you need to have braces?
    Nope, but you'll get better radio reception.
    Sigs are visible only in your first post on a page. To change your thread display preferences, click here and enable 'Always Show Signature'.

Quote Originally Posted by St1ngy View Post
    Don't forget to face (stare at) the car! Your skull acts as a parabolic antenna focusing the RF signal and beaming the concentrated signal out your eye sockets toward the target. The effect on your brain-cells is just collateral damage.
    Don't stare too hard though and make sure you're looking at the right car. I ended up unlocking the car next to mine because I was looking at that car instead of mine.