The VW Atlas takes a stab at the CX-9

sm1ke

2018 Mazda CX-9 Signature
Contributor
:
Canada
I just watched a YouTube ad, one of those 6-7 second jobs you're forced to watch before the video starts. There's some text that says something like "You know what you won't find on the CX-9?" then cuts to a shot of the Atlas. Then more text appears that says "Adult 3-row seating".

I found this pretty funny. I know Mazda's trying to go upscale, so it's not likely that they'll retaliate, but I think it would be awesome if more companies did this (i.e. poked fun at their competitors). Commercials would be fun to watch again!

I tried to find the video, but couldn't come up with anything.

That statement is too funny. Nobody offers this.

Actually, some do offer pretty decent, 3-row, adult sized seats & accommodations.

Minivans are the obvious option with real seats, but aside from them, some of the larger SUV options have really good 3-row seats. Larger Lincoln, Fords, Cadillac/GMC SUVs, Toyota Sequoia, Mercedes GLS.... are all very comfortable in the back. Of course, they are all in a larger class.

The Atlas does have better 3-row seats than the CX-9. It's a fact. I sat in one and the difference is day and night. Do i want to sit there on a 4hr drive? Not really.... but if i am given a choice, i would sit in the Atlas vs the CX-9. The CX-9 3rd row is adequate for my tall 9-yr old daughter. That's about it. Adults.... more than 20 mins.... forget about it.

I like my CX-9 a lot, but the 3-rd row seats and the size of trunk are nothing to brag about. It's a good thing we don't need the 3rd row often.

OP - I agree, I love seeing fun commercials that make tasteful jabs at each other. I have noticed that the truck industry is doing it in full force the past couple of years and it's great!

We also tested the new Hyundai Palisade (which I think shares the platform with the new Kia Telluride), and it definitely had more leg-room in the 3rd row than the CX-9. It was easy to get an adult in and out too. Despite all of that, I still would NOT want to be back there for any long road trips. lol Good thing my kids don't need that extra "adult" space, because those bigger vehicles also drive like bigger vehicles and it's not what my wife and I care to drive.

The Japanese culture frowns upon this type of thing. This is why you will rarely see Japanese vehicle ads denouncing vehicles from any other country.
Sadly for VW, their Atlas and quite a few other models are not reliable.

Actually, some do offer pretty decent, 3-row, adult sized seats & accommodations.

Minivans are the obvious option with real seats, but aside from them, some of the larger SUV options have really good 3-row seats. Larger Lincoln, Fords, Cadillac/GMC SUVs, Toyota Sequoia, Mercedes GLS.... are all very comfortable in the back. Of course, they are all in a larger class.

The Atlas does have better 3-row seats than the CX-9. It's a fact. I sat in one and the difference is day and night. Do i want to sit there on a 4hr drive? Not really.... but if i am given a choice, i would sit in the Atlas vs the CX-9. The CX-9 3rd row is adequate for my tall 9-yr old daughter. That's about it. Adults.... more than 20 mins.... forget about it.

I like my CX-9 a lot, but the 3-rd row seats and the size of trunk are nothing to brag about. It's a good thing we don't need the 3rd row often.

I'd have to agree. I've never been in the 3rd row of an Atlas, but based on photos it does appear to be more comfortable. I've personally sat in the 3rd row for an extended drive just to see if I would be comfortable back there, and it turns out that it's just fine for me. I would have no issues riding back there for a road trip. Of course, I'm a 210-ish lb 5'8" guy, so whether you're comfortable back there depends on your build. The Atlas, I assume, would be much more forgiving.

The Japanese culture frowns upon this type of thing. This is why you will rarely see Japanese vehicle ads denouncing vehicles from any other country.
Sadly for VW, their Atlas and quite a few other models are not reliable.

Yeah, I figured as much. I don't think I've ever seen a Japanese vehicle ad that talks down on another brand or model.

Back