Winter is here and my CX-5 turbo is now a 2.0L!

Seems like it's time for folks to file complaints with NHTSA and get this on their radar screen. That might eventually force a formal Mazda response...or a fix.

If some are correct that the turbo has been dialed-back to diminish oil dilution issues in cold weather, I gotta think that it's an acceptable trade-off, within reason. But at this point it's only conjecture.

Maybe a software update is in order.

Seems like it's time for folks to file complaints with NHTSA and get this on their radar screen. That might eventually force a formal Mazda response...or a fix.

But if some are correct that the turbo has been dialed-back to diminish oil dilution issues in cold weather, I gotta think that it's an acceptable trade-off, within reason. But at this point it's only conjecture.

I avoided the CR-V specifically because of this issue, and [unsuccessfully] tried to steer clear of Direct Inject in general. I still think that NHTSA complaints are in order on the part of those who have noticed this problem so there's an official Mazda statement rather than conjecture. Maybe a software update is in order.

This issue makes me rethink getting an ECU tune on my car. I don't want to introduce an OD problem.

I will apprise mazda of this in a new case. They take those seriously. When I was in highschool, they had to buy Rx8s back at sale price due to exaggerated hp rating.

Doesn't matter if it's wet; I get mine in dry heat. With front wheel bias a small amount of front wheel slip with high throttle is enough to get a power cut.

Going 60mph and you punch it its not slipping lol. It was only when it was cold out. Never have I drivin a car thats done that. I would never buy a car that does that. Thats why mines long gone. Among other reasons.

It*s not only the turbos it*s the na also.

I guess everyone's got to start filing reports.

Makes no sense. Would this be done to reduce the risk of oil dilution in both engines? Do folks with pre-2018 NA engines have this issue? I don't recall seeing any comments.

You also mentioned a prior model getting a software update to fix this. I don't understand why Mazda would reintroduce known bad coding.

The intercooler on my diesel has less to do on cold days in raising the density of the incoming charge air. The colder it gets the better it goes. If I happen to get behind you unob, it would be very noble if you could keep over to the side while I come past you ;-).

Just tormenting you. It is true though that the diesel is unaffected by the cold and when you consider the effect of air density, it*s not clear what is going on but I had heard in the Savage Geese review that there is a notable loss of power in cold weather.

Then why did you start this thread with this?

Over exaggerating a bit?

I dont think I am. The 2.0 had a 0-60 of around 9-10 seconds, didnt it?

I started the thread to draw awareness to the issue. You dont care/refuse to believe that yours is like all the rest/wont empirically verify one way nor the other, so...maybe this thread isnt for you, specifically?

It is true though that the diesel is unaffected by the cold and when you consider the effect of air density, it*s not clear what is going on but I had heard in the Savage Geese review that there is a notable loss of power in cold weather.

Here's the video I've watched where he makes that comment. It's in his summary after the drive, at about 16:45. He also makes the general statement that the availability of the turbo's power is inconsistent.

He did say "that" was his issue with turbos in general (I believe he meant inconsistent power output and not cold weather loss, but it's not clear).

The thing is, he put his foot into it several times during the test drive and not once did he make mention of a lack of power.

Here's the video I've watched where he makes that comment. It's in his summary after the drive, at about 16:45. He also makes the general statement that the availability of the turbo's power is inconsistent.

He did say "that" was his issue with turbos in general (I believe he meant inconsistent power output and not cold weather loss, but it's not clear).

The thing is, he put his foot into it several times during the test drive and not once did he make mention of a lack of power.

I've spoken with him personally. He meant that under 20f, it loses significant power. He approached Mazda on my behalf and was stonewalled basically.

I am curious about the turbo's behavior in cold weather. Maybe it is as simple as Mazda not wanting the car to have too much power when there may be ice on the road, and tuned it as such.

I am curious about the turbo's behavior in cold weather. Maybe it is as simple as Mazda not wanting the car to have too much power when there may be ice on the road, and tuned it as such.

Then 32 makes a more sensible cutoff than 20, no? I lean very strongly toward this being a oil dilution mitigation, however, I honestly would have bought something else if I knew before hand that this was an issue. Edge Sport or RS was the other vehicle strongly on my radar.

That kind of a nanny feature would be unprecedented, I*d think. Also, it would be ridiculous considering were talking about a car that doesn*t even have 300 HP.

Last edited:
Then 32 makes a more sensible cutoff than 20, no? I lean very strongly toward this being a oil dilution mitigation, however, I honestly would have bought something else if I knew before hand that this was an issue. Edge Sport or RS was the other vehicle strongly on my radar.

I also would have found something else had I known. I actually almost walked away from buying mine because of this. It was a cold 5F day when I took it out for a test drive. It didnt feel right so I took out a N/A GT. Felt about the same. Got back in the turbo after the temps went up and it was great. Chalked it up to have hyped up the turbo too much on the first drive. Maybe next time Ill listen more to my gut.

Whats the theory on fuel dilution? Turbo seals passing oil because of colder temps not allowing it to everything to expand properly?

When I bought my CX 5 GT-Reserve at the end of May I was living at sea level. Now I am living at 6000 feet. The daytime temps are still in the 70's but that will change in the next few weeks. As most of my driving now is up and down hills on winding roads below about 60 MPH there is not much opportunity to floor it on a good straightaway.
But after following this thread I am going to find a way to test for the cold temp power loss. There are a few stretches of open road on the desert side of my mountain range and that elevation of about 4000 feet does get some snow too. I'll post my butt dyno impressions as soon as I get a chance for a road test at below freezing temperatures.

I've spoken with him personally. He meant that under 20f, it loses significant power. He approached Mazda on my behalf and was stonewalled basically.
I thought this issue had been discussed when CX-5 2.5T just came out earlier this year, and you shouldnt be surprised by it?

See this long thread with 292 posts started by shadonoz:

Turbo: nobody home?

When I bought my CX 5 GT-Reserve at the end of May I was living at sea level. Now I am living at 6000 feet. The daytime temps are still in the 70's but that will change in the next few weeks. As most of my driving now is up and down hills on winding roads below about 60 MPH there is not much opportunity to floor it on a good straightaway.
But after following this thread I am going to find a way to test for the cold temp power loss. There are a few stretches of open road on the desert side of my mountain range and that elevation of about 4000 feet does get some snow too. I'll post my butt dyno impressions as soon as I get a chance for a road test at below freezing temperatures.

The main thing you will notice is super linear acceleration. It accelerates at 2000 the same as at 4500 rpm. It's like it peaks at about 2000 and then holds steady.

All we have so far is a lot of talking. If one is so concerned with the performance of the car, they should test the car to see if it exhibits the behaviour and record it for posterity.

I had done my own testing earlier in this thread and realized afterwards that my testing was not ideal. I think the best test to determine if there is an actual power loss would be to test WOT acceleration while at a cruising speed in temps above 20F, then again in temps below 20F. Get the car to 25mph, then go WOT and see how long it takes to get to 50 or 60. Repeat in warmer/colder weather and compare. A test like this would mimic real-world operation (highway merge) while a 0-60 acceleration test would not.

Do those of you noticing the problem have AWD or FWD? Since outside temp is one of the sensors the AWD system takes into account, that may be a factor

Back