Winter is here and my CX-5 turbo is now a 2.0L!

Speculating, but Im guessing it cant inject enough fuel to match the increased density of the air coming it so it has a max limit on the fuel delivery.

I totally forgot that some have this issue. It was 8 degrees this morning and there was no noticeable drop in power. I will try and pay more attention to this, but it should be obvious going off of what some are claiming. I have to quickly merge out into traffic at one point of my short commute and have not been let down.

You have yet to provide the video evidence you alleged that you could provide. Show us a vid of 0-60 in under 8 seconds in under 20*f.

I know people who were 2.0 owners who also werent ever let down when merging. Put it on the clock.

Speculating, but I*m guessing it can*t inject enough fuel to match the increased density of the air coming it so it has a max limit on the fuel delivery.

Nope. I get 1mpg more at WOT in under 20f weather. Its dumping far less fuel than in warmer weather.

Here's Uno's 0-60 in 50f temp, cross-posted from another thread.

I dunno how to "time" it precisely, but...

Can someone with a CX-5 GT Reserve or Signature replicate the test and record the video?

In my CX-9, I did a 0-60 run in mid-October, when temps were at 1c (34F), and got a time of 7.8. I just did another 0-60 run at -9c (16F) and got a time of 9.0.

It does appear that the engine loses some power at colder temps, based on my own crude testing. Keep in mind that I tried to keep parameters as consistent as I could, but other factors may also contribute to the difference in reported times. For example, tires are the same and testing track is the same. While pavement was dry during both tests, the most recent test had some blowing snow on the road, so there was likely some traction loss or a minimal amount of wheel spin.

EDIT: I did also note that timing in Torque app was being reported at 19-20 degrees. No idea what it was in warmer temps, unfortunately.

Last edited:
By who? Mazda corporate acknolwedges it but refuses explanation. Multiple YT reviewers note it. My dealership notes it on a personally tech-owned CX9. Who's going to "look at it"?

Sorry. Didn't remember it was a known thing.

I posted to Mazda USA Facebook profile. Someone (not mazda, not openly anyway) replied that the 1.5 civic got a retune due to cold weather fuel dilution, and people now complain about how long it takes heater to warm up, etc.

I think this is a valid hypothesis...mazda tuned it spicy for warm weather, and put in a detune map for cold weather to prevent fuel oil dilution in cold weather.

That said, the wrx 2.0 is DI. Runs great in cold weather.

Imagine buying a turbo car and then finding out you actually lose performance in boost season
tenor.gif

I can try? I have the Torque app and a bluetooth OBD2 module. I just haven't played around with it much yet.

I'm testing to see if this happens on my CX-9 as well. I did a 0-60 pull at -16c (3f) last night, and it did feel a little less powerful.

Does anyone know of any video editing apps that would allow me to edit video to allow two video files to play in the same frame? This would make it easy to see the difference between the two videos (if there is one).

Try Wondershare Filmora. I think they have a free version.

There's a SplitScreen feature where you can play two files side-by-side and Export in various formats.

Yeah, if this were a sports car I'd absolutely flat out lose my s*** and hire a lawyer. Since it's not, I'm only moderately annoyed.

Bummer.....hopefully Mazda will address this. Looks like more than a couple have experienced this with the CX-5T. I hope more will share their experiences or news about a fix as they come.

Bummer.....hopefully Mazda will address this. Looks like more than a couple have experienced this with the CX-5T. I hope more will share their experiences or news about a fix as they come.

I can't believe I'm reading this. Totally unacceptable.
If I had a Mazda turbo vehicle in our climate, I'd have no power for 5 months a year. I'd be pissed, big time.
It's only November, but the temp here dropped to -16C last night. That's 3F. It won't get better until April either.
Imagine spending $40K or more on a CX-5T, or 6, or CX-9, only to not have it work for 5 months a year, and then being told that's normal.
They shouldn't be allowed to sell turbo's in cold climates if this is the case.
If there's no fix or answer to this issue, I'd demand my money back under the lemon law if I had one of these.
The more I read about Mazda and what they've done since I bought my 6, the more I'm convinced that this will be my first and last Mazda.

Interesting, all the hate towards the 2.5L because of Cylinder Deactivation.......meanwhile the Turbo motor provides "inconsistent" performance in cold weather and worse gas mileage.

Interesting, all the hate towards the 2.5L because of Cylinder Deactivation.......meanwhile the Turbo motor provides "inconsistent" performance in cold weather and worse gas mileage.

Long live the 2.5L , N/A , non-CD skyactive engine !

The power loss is not related to engine operating temp.

I really would like an explanation from Mazda about this.

I still think it might be related to the awd system predicting traction loss and pulling power.

The engine should be able to safely make the same amount of power when its below freezing. It definitely doesnt though.

You may be on to something.

For the record, my CX-9 doesn't devolve into some anemic 2.0L engine that can't get out of it's own way, as the thread title and other posters would lead you to believe. It just feels like the boost has been dialed back a bit when the engine is being wound out.

If this is by design (and it seems to be), I have no problem with it as long as I know why it was implemented. If I know that it was done to protect the engine in some way, I wouldn't care so much. To be honest, I really don't care at all since I never need to accelerate hard enough to notice the difference, especially in the winter, with ice/snow on the ground. I can see how this might irk me if I had to do a lot of highway merging, though.

If I did care, I'd be looking at other factory turbocharged engines to see if they behaved in a similar manner.

If I did care, I'd be looking at other factory turbocharged engines to see if they behaved in a similar manner.

As a current owner of a Volvo LPT (Low Pressure Turbo) and a previous owner of 3 Saab turbo I can assure you: this is not how any modern turbo should behave. As Chris referenced, Winter is "Boost Season": turbo cars like denser air.

To be honest, I really don't care at all since I never need to accelerate hard enough to notice the difference, especially in the winter, with ice/snow on the ground.
I know you live in Canada but even Canada has plenty of time over winter with clear dry roads.

Back