Winter is here and my CX-5 turbo is now a 2.0L!

:
RDX Aspec Adv.
Similar performance to the 2.0. Woot. Yay for cold.

Moderator edit (Jan 18/22): A potential solution by Mazda may be available according to a recent post (copied below). Note that the TSB has not been made public yet, but if you present the TSB number to your dealer, they may be able to locate it.

Moderator edit (Jan 20/22): The solution proposed by the TSB has been verified by other owners to correct the cold weather lack of power issue. See post #663 for more information. :)

Update: On 12/17/21 Mazda released TSB 01-016/21 which sounds like it addresses the cold weather performance issue. I’m scheduled for the ECU update this Thursday at 1pm. I’ll let you know how it goes.

I learned of the TSB on the JB4 forum where another member has a Mazda tech connection. I was unable to find any info when I Googled it, but the service manager at my local Mazda dealership was able to find it and schedule my car for the update. I was the first CX-5 owner to inquire about it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Similar performance to the 2.0. Woot. Yay for cold.
Yeah we have 22F at 7:30AM this morning. Wifes CX-5 which parked on the street has no issues to start up and drive. What happened to your turbo charger?

Pretty sure he's saying his car runs like s*** now that it's cold which is exactly the opposite of how a turbo charged engine should work.

The turbo should work fine in the cold. I wonder if the Mazda system basically runs as a 2.5NA until the car temp gets up to normal temp. And with your short driving times, it may never do it.

The turbo should work fine in the cold. I wonder if the Mazda system basically runs as a 2.5NA until the car temp gets up to normal temp. And with your short driving times, it may never do it.

The power loss is not related to engine operating temp.

I really would like an explanation from Mazda about this.

I still think it might be related to the awd system predicting traction loss and pulling power.

The engine should be able to safely make the same amount of power when its below freezing. It definitely doesnt though.

Last edited:

You mean my 30 mile commute? Exactly how long SHOULD it take to warm up?

You mean my 30 mile commute? Exactly how long SHOULD it take to warm up?
Is it only happening to your 2.5T or is it the norm for every 2.5T?

That would piss me off. The turbo trims from Mazda were a strong contender before we settled on the gas version of the RAV4. Id be pretty upset if the performance of our new car dropped that bad in cold weather.

I've had my GTR since last Feb and have not experienced this problem. Tomorrow is forecast to be ~~20 degrees here, so I'll pay special attention during my commute.

I'd really love for someone to datalog it!

I can try? I have the Torque app and a bluetooth OBD2 module. I just haven't played around with it much yet.

I'm testing to see if this happens on my CX-9 as well. I did a 0-60 pull at -16c (3f) last night, and it did feel a little less powerful.

Does anyone know of any video editing apps that would allow me to edit video to allow two video files to play in the same frame? This would make it easy to see the difference between the two videos (if there is one).

Well, when is gets cold and you lose power in your turbo car.. that's some bad ecu tuning. Try resetting the fuel trims (unplug car battery) (uhm)

I totally forgot that some have this issue. It was 8 degrees this morning and there was no noticeable drop in power. I will try and pay more attention to this, but it should be obvious going off of what some are claiming. I have to quickly merge out into traffic at one point of my short commute and have not been let down.

Wow, that doesn't seem right at all. For me, that would be totally unacceptable behavior. I'd get it looked at Uno.

My car definitely felt slower last night and this morning. The temp was about 10f during both trips.

It may turn out to be similar to the CD problem, just software. Especially if it's only affecting some owners. It's almost got to be tuning.

Everyone who has actually put one on the clock in under 20*f weather. It's actually very hard to notice during normal driving. Floor it 0-60, and it's painfully evident on the stopwatch. The tach sweeps the same speed from 650-1500 as it does from 3500-4500. Super linear. No boost in the upper rpms.

Wow, that doesn't seem right at all. For me, that would be totally unacceptable behavior. I'd get it looked at Uno.

By who? Mazda corporate acknolwedges it but refuses explanation. Multiple YT reviewers note it. My dealership notes it on a personally tech-owned CX9. Who's going to "look at it"?

Back