2007~2015 Driver side window malfunction, need advice for repair

Elmojo

:
Mazda CX-9 Touring
Hi all,
My 2013 CX-9 did something odd last night.
I was going through a drive-thru, and when I rolled up the window, it made an unhappy *clunk/snap* sound.
After that, pressing the button up or down only resulted in a little twitch of the glass, like the whole mechanism was locked up.
Today, I took apart the whole thing, and didn't really see any issue, but once I had it apart, I was able to get it to move, so I reassembled it, and now the window goes up and down.
However, now the auto up/down is disabled, and if I don't stop it at just the right place on the up travel, it will slip the gears with a horrible noise.
I assume that whatever governs or senses the position or torque or however it knows when the window is fully up has died. Anyone know which part of the system has failed, and what I need to replace?
I'd prefer not to just start randomly replacing parts. For one thing, it's expensive. Also, it's a huge pain in the butt to get into that window system.
Thanks in advance for any advice.

Try doing the power window reset. Open window all the way down and hold down for 5 seconds, then immediately raise window until closed and hold for another 5 seconds.

Try doing the power window reset. Open window all the way down and hold down for 5 seconds, then immediately raise window until closed and hold for another 5 seconds.

I did. Down is no problem but as soon as the window gets to the top of its travel, the motor continues to run and grinds the gears. I wasn't comfortable holding it for 5 seconds while it stripped the gears.

No one has any ideas? I really don't want to just start randomly replacing parts.
Surely someone has dealt with the same or a similar issue...please?

I'm having this problem too. Driver side rear window - goes up/down fine but when it gets all the way to the top you get a grinding sound, like the motor doesn't know its reached the top.

Replacing the motor seems easy enough based on this video, and the motors are ~30 on Amazon for non-OEM motors. Did you ever resolve this?

Back