2020 Mazda 6 is here, no diesel, no AWD

I can understand the no diesel thing. I mean why would you even bother developing a diesel version for it when it sells in such low numbers?
The AWD is another matter.
I'm generally very happy with my 2017 6. It's a wonderful vehicle, and everyone who sees it or drives in it is impressed.
If they came out with an AWD system for it, I'd trade up in a heartbeat.
In our winter, AWD is a huge advantage.
During bad weather, the car stays in the garage, and we take our Pathfinder everywhere.

What is new this year, compare to 2019?
I haven't not found anything.

Rumor has it that next Mazda6 is going to be RWD in next FMC. 2022?

Last edited:
Looking at sales numbers, it wouldn't surprise me to see Mazda pull out of this mid size car segment altogether.
Maybe they'll just let the 6 run unchanged for another year or two, and then call it a day.
Sedan sales are still trending down worldwide, and Mazda can't, or won't, compete against the Camry's and Accords anymore.
It's obvious from their lack of marketing effort and lack of updates on the 6 that they really don't care.
It's a shame, 'cause the bones of the car are top notch.

Looking at sales numbers, it wouldn't surprise me to see Mazda pull out of this mid size car segment altogether.
Maybe they'll just let the 6 run unchanged for another year or two, and then call it a day.
Sedan sales are still trending down worldwide, and Mazda can't, or won't, compete against the Camry's and Accords anymore.
It's obvious from their lack of marketing effort and lack of updates on the 6 that they really don't care.
It's a shame, 'cause the bones of the car are top notch.

That's why they are moving Mazda6 to RWD with bigger engine to find a niche in the market.
At least that is the plan according to a Japanese mag.

That's why they are moving Mazda6 to RWD with bigger engine to find a niche in the market.
At least that is the plan according to a Japanese mag.

Although that's something I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for, it would be very intriguing if they tried it!

Hmm... I wonder whether consumers will accept Mazda as a high-priced car company?

I LOVE an inline 6 engine better than anything (excepting _maybe_ a V-12 like a Merlin), and I'd love to see a fore-and-aft one in a RWD sedan. That said, it would still have to be comfortable, durable, reasonably priced, engaging... in short, it'd still have to be a Mazda. (-:

Hmm... I wonder whether consumers will accept Mazda as a high-priced car company?

I LOVE an inline 6 engine better than anything (excepting _maybe_ a V-12 like a Merlin), and I'd love to see a fore-and-aft one in a RWD sedan. That said, it would still have to be comfortable, durable, reasonably priced, engaging... in short, it'd still have to be a Mazda. (-:

Honestly, I would be happy with an AWD Mazda6 with their 2.5T engine. The move to RWD would be cool, but if it pushes the price over 40K, then they would have lost me as a customer. Even 35K is pushing it. The main appeal for buying Mazdas, at least when I bought my Mazdas, is that they make fun to drive, bang for the buck vehicles. The move to premium is slowly pushing the price out of reach.

Sedans are not finding many buyers these days.
To headon compete against the like of Camry and Accord, it would continue to be a uphill battle for Mazda.
So, finding a niche is the key.
You can't find many choices of RWD sedan (or RWD-biased AWD) under $40K.

Says,
$35K
RWD
inline-6 3.5L Skyactive-X: 310hp, 290ft-lb
8-speed auto, cylinder deact (using 4 on highway)
MPG: 24 city/32hwy
0-60mph: <6 sec
I would be interested...

It's no secret that sedans are losing market share. I'm from Toronto, and the cross-over market is far bigger here compared to the USA. In the sedan market, Accord/Camry dominate just on the brand name alone, although the Mazda 6 is probably slightly below the Accord and definitely better than the Camry. Mazda's appeal is obviously to make fun to drive cars, and now theyre dabbling in to the premium-like market. But most people dont care about driving dynamics and would prefer comfort/features. That's where the Accord wins (with more features). I love Mazda but their infotainment sucks currently. I have a 2015 Mazda 6 and i find that Gen's infotainment system better than the current one. The new one is super laggy, low-res, and not as user friendly as it should be.

That being said, since the sedan market is even worse in Canada, the current gen Mazda 6s that are sitting on lots can be bought at huge discounts. The dealerships are so desperate to get rid of them. Im currently debating trading in my 15 M6 for a 2018 model GT. Brand new in the Canadian market, (CAD$) this car was about 38-39k. I can get it for 29-30k with a few thousand KMs on it. Definitely good bang for the buck!

Just waiting to see if Canadaseatskins.ca has the interior mats for the 2018s. I did a custom interior job on my 2015 (reddish/brown like the CX9 signature) and I want to do the same for the 2018 (but more of a chocolate or tan brown) to go with a navy exterior!

Bacchus, I agree with you on the infotainment systems. My 2015 (Touring) has borderline more nonsense on the 'radio' panel than I want, though it's okay with the knob on the console. I don't like the new or current system at all, and I DESPISE Honda's current garbage.

I have to admit that I want a smooth, quiet, comfortable ride first in my cars. ...yet I have a '15 MZ6. LOL! It's a good car, and I like it, but I'm looking for cost-effective ways to quiet it down. I'm also going to ditch the ridiculous 19" wheels when these tires wear out. :)

Bacchus, I agree with you on the infotainment systems. My 2015 (Touring) has borderline more nonsense on the 'radio' panel than I want, though it's okay with the knob on the console. I don't like the new or current system at all, and I DESPISE Honda's current garbage.

I have to admit that I want a smooth, quiet, comfortable ride first in my cars. ...yet I have a '15 MZ6. LOL! It's a good car, and I like it, but I'm looking for cost-effective ways to quiet it down. I'm also going to ditch the ridiculous 19" wheels when these tires wear out. :)

I had a 2018 CX5 as a loaner for a week and the infotainment was so annoying. Always laggy, or it would glitch and return back to the home screen while i was trying to go to my radio presets.

But yep, very loud. I have a GS, but did a full leather upholstery to get rid of the black cloth and switch it to a reddish/brown (like the cx9 signature). I also went and got the OEM 19inch rims used. Now my GS is pretty much a GT. The wheels look much better in my opinion, BUTTT it definitely drives way worse compared to the 17inch. Just the extra weight makes the drive a bit more sluggish. I read a lot of forums where people said they didnt notice a difference. But to me, i noticed it after the very first drive.

Im considering getting a 2018 signature just because here in Toronto, sedans are not selling at all. And the price is really good. Will get a nicer ride quality, turbo engine, but that new infotainment system...lol

Sedans definitely are not selling nowadays as well as CUVs.
In US, Toyota sells more RAV4 than Camry or Corolla.
Similarly, Hona sells more CR-V than Accord or Civic.
CX-5 takes up 50% of total Mazda sale in US.

Prices should be good on sedans nowadays.

Don't need AWD or diesel from Mazda. Plenty of other cars to choose from with awd. Not many diesel but the maintenance on diesel is pretty expensive.

Keep in mind that many carmakers are scrambling to come with electric vehicles, despite the fact that once subsidies end, consumers taste for electric vehicles diminishes, rapidly (Look at what's happening in China.) Mazda will have to partner with Toyota or get the rotary hybrid out, quickly. Unlike Toyota and Volkswagen, Mazda doesn't have gobs of money to invest in EV technology. Something has to suffer. It is a shame because I drove the turbo 6 at the auto show, a couple of years ago. I was very impressed.

Back