Well, this sucks...

$900. I washed it, parked it at the end of my driveway with a sign of the price and specs and an hour later a person randomly driving by stopped and bought it. I probably set the price too low.

Even if I set the price too low, I am happy with the sale, because I do remember having a feeling of worrying about it selling and taking it off my insurance.

After buying my CX-5 the salesman was nice enough to drive my old car home for me, and then me driving him back to the dealership, which I appreciated.

Good work! That's a great way to do it. You might have gotten a little more, but I'd say you priced it just right.

Dealers will never give you a decent price on a trade unless they're desperate for your business.

Dealers will never give you a decent price on a trade unless they're desperate for your business.

There is no "unless" with dealers when it comes to trades. They always undercut what it's worth. Desperate or not.
They are just very good at massaging the final numbers to make it look like you got a good deal on your old car.

The first thing a dealer will ask is, "do you have a trade in?" If you answer yes, you are immediately at a disadvantage.
You should always negotiate the final price of the car before introducing the trade-in scenario.
If you negotiate the new car price based on your perceived or desired trade in value, you will lose.

In my personal experiences, the only way I came out even slightly ahead in this process was in the fact that I traded in cars that I knew had issues.
Selling them privately would have been a headache, not to mention expensive.
In two of my car purchases, I was able to successfully hide major issues with my trade.
Win win for me, and no sympathy for the dealership.
It's a dog eat dog business.

There is no "unless" with dealers when it comes to trades. They always undercut what it's worth. Desperate or not.
They are just very good at massaging the final numbers to make it look like you got a good deal on your old car.

The first thing a dealer will ask is, "do you have a trade in?" If you answer yes, you are immediately at a disadvantage.
You should always negotiate the final price of the car before introducing the trade-in scenario.
If you negotiate the new car price based on your perceived or desired trade in value, you will lose. ...

For that reason, my dealership didn't know I had a trade until after we had negotiated the price of the new car.

Nope - guess again.

Tire Age Date Code Rubber Aging

The rubber in tires will continue to cross-link via disulphide bonding whether it is exposed to oxygen, sunlight or what have you.*

*Deleterious changes occur in tire properties after storage at ambient temperatures for five years or after use on cars for similar periods.* T. Kataoka, P. B. Zettterlund and B. Yamada, Rubber Chem. Technol. 76, 507 (2003).
- cited in The Pneumatic Tire, DOT HS 810 561, Feb. 2006, Chapter 2

EVO magazine found that the winner of one of its tire tests performed worse than the last-place tire when a one-year-old example of the winning tire was mounted up and tested against the rest.*

http://www.tiresafetygroup.com/tires-expire-in-six-years/

The NHTSA states: "Some vehicle and tire manufacturers recommend replacing tires that are six to 10 years old, regardless of treadwear."
So they include 10 years. Will you replace your spare tire after 6 years?

https://www.nhtsa.gov/equipment/tires

If you negotiate the new car price based on your perceived or desired trade in value, you will lose.

In my personal experiences, the only way I came out even slightly ahead in this process was in the fact that I traded in cars that I knew had issues.
In two of my car purchases, I was able to successfully hide major issues with my trade.

For me, selling my car myself I disclose all known issues. The last thing I want is an angry person who found out something major was wrong with the car I sold them, and them knowing where I live. If my car had major issues I would have traded it in 'as is'.

Last edited:

There is no "always", but I agree in general. They won't offer more than they can get at wholesale for at least three reasons:
1-they want mo' money,
2-many people take those lowball offers just to avoid additional hassle, and
3-lots of people [most? almost all?] do what you did and don't disclose problems on them [I've done it, too!], so they have to dump them. They probably expect it.

So yeah, they do what's best for them and you gotta do what's best for you.

The NHTSA states: "Some vehicle and tire manufacturers recommend replacing tires that are six to 10 years old, regardless of treadwear."
So they include 10 years. Will you replace your spare tire after 6 years?

https://www.nhtsa.gov/equipment/tires

Yeah, I've had snows last 8 years with no signs of rot. It surely varies among different tires, usage, and conditions. Just be aware of your equipment.

Buying a new car with a trade is really 2 transactions. Get a price from the Internet Manager without a trade. If you decide to buy, ask them when you arrive for a price for your trade in. The used car is typically handled as a purchase by the Used Car manager who has to make a profit from the trade. Typically, you pay sales tax of the net amount due after the trade in is subtracted which needs to be added to the trade in price to determine if you could do better selling it yourself considering the hassle with test drives and no shows.

Yeah, I've had snows last 8 years with no signs of rot. It surely varies among different tires, usage, and conditions. Just be aware of your equipment.

Agreed. My wife's Civic has had the same snow tires for 10 years now (they sat in storage for 3 of those years). They're still good, but I do check them quite often for signs of rot. We'll probably replace them before next winter.

Back