Fuel gauge going in reverse?

bmninada

Contributor
:
2016 CX-5 AWD GT+iActive Soul Red
Suddenly starting today morning my fuel G showed Empty. Went to fill gas and only 1 G was required. Had to go to work (around 30 miles) and I put it on Distance to Empty which started off by showing 1 mile and then now shows 90 miles. THe guage itself is also moving in the OPPOSITE direction slowly, i.e. from Empty to Full...

VERY WEIRD.

Suddenly starting today morning my fuel G showed Empty. Went to fill gas and only 1 G was required. Had to go to work (around 30 miles) and I put it on Distance to Empty which started off by showing 1 mile and then now shows 90 miles. THe guage itself is also moving in the OPPOSITE direction slowly, i.e. from Empty to Full...

VERY WEIRD.
Looks like your fuel gauge sending unit is acting up. You could try some Chevron Techron Gas Additive or Marvel Mystery Oil mentioned by DwightFrye.

What kind or brand of gas you usually use?

Use top tier gas, add a dose of Marvel Mystery Oil to the gas tank every couple of thousand miles and add a bottle of Techron to the tank about 500 miles before each oil change. The amount of money spent is about like a couple of fast food meals so pretty negligible. What is a waste of money is letting a dealer do an expensive "fuel injector flush & service" when doing the steps above will keep the injectors clean.
I haven't had my CX 5 long enough to see if there are any issues with the float in the fuel tank that measures the level giving flaky readings, but in my past 370Z it was a known problem. The addition of a few ounces of Marvel Mystery Oil to the tank apparently had some type of lubricant or solvent qualities that would solve the erratic readings for a couple thousand miles until it came up again. So it isn't just snake oil.

VERY WEIRD.
Did this ever get resolved for you? My 2019 GTR is having the same issue, started working good for a week, then started up again, and I only use Exxon gas.

Back