Article On Mazda`s AWD

The way my AWD Mazda handles deep snow is all I need to know about my AWD. It's incredibly good. You're going to love it.

It*s strange I found my 2005 rav4*s awd worked better then my cx5 did. In certain aspects. It*s good don*t get me wrong just some things not as much.

It*s strange I found my 2005 rav4*s awd worked better then my cx5 did. In certain aspects. It*s good don*t get me wrong just some things not as much.

It*s virtually an identical system (excluding the hybrid). Are you sure the tires were the same?

I found the article gave me some useful comparison information however it is 99,9% certain my car will never be driven in snow or on ice.

Thanks, Pitter.

There are very few articles/reviews/videos that don't make me happy I bought a CX-5, although this one used CX-3s and is not completely independent (tests set up by Mazda).

I found this interesting:
In order to quickly share power with the rear wheels, Mazda employs an electromagnetic activated coupling between front and rear wheels. To avoid a jerky switchover, Mazda runs a small *pre-load* of power, 2% of total, to the rear wheel.
Reminds me of how the exhaust pressure is choked back at low RPMs to "pre-load" the turbo so it's also a smooth transition.

You gotta think that being a Mazda engineer is just a little more fun than working for any other manufacturer.

Many of Colombia's rural dirt roads become impassable for 2wd vehicles during the two rainy seasons. That's why public transport in rural areas consists of Willys Jeeps, Toyota Landcruisers, Nissan Patrols or Aro Carpatis.

Last edited:
Great experience with my AWD over the years in the snow and now with proper winter tires, thing is a tank.

True, mightbas well drive a 2 seat miata because it's just as practical right?

Sedan has as much space as a CX5, depending on what you're hauling. Same for wagons and other things that get better mileage, handle better, are faster, etc. The only real reasons to buy a CUV are: Looks and ride height.

Sedan has as much space as a CX5, depending on what you're hauling. Same for wagons and other things that get better mileage, handle better, are faster, etc. The only real reasons to buy a CUV are: Looks and ride height.
Depending on what your hauling is a big depends.. that's the difference right there. The space in the suv is more usable than that in the sedan due to the trunk. Also no awd (no LSD).

Depending on what your hauling is a big depends.. that's the difference right there. The space in the suv is more usable than that in the sedan due to the trunk. Also no awd (no LSD).

Plenty of sedans with AWD/LSD

Yes, it does depend on what you're hauling though, but the AWD/LSD thing is a non-issue. Lots of sedans from numerous makers have wonderful AWD systems.

Being an older fella, I didnt realize how much I would like the higher step in height. Not having to squat down to get in my vehicle has been very nice.

I like the ride height and having AWD. The CX-5 was a downsize from my previous car as it is.

Same for me.

While I'm still in good shape at 65, I drive a lot of older friends around and an SUV is like a little bus...you sit up high and you don't have to climb out of it. And I've been exclusively driving pickup trucks for the past 30 years. I was not ready to get any closer to the pavement than an SUV puts me.

But there are a lot of people researching and buying SUVs who aren't old or who don't drive in muck.

Here's 2019 potential buyer info from a marketing group website.

Here is a table showing the estimated monthly "audience impressions" available for people actively searching for a particular type of vehicle. These are auto intenders, commonly called an *in-market audience.* They*re active online, searching for information about new vehicles and researching various models and makes of new vehicles.

These consumers are visiting OEM websites and automobile dealer websites, looking at vehicle specs and pricing.

Monthly%20Audience%20Impressions.png

Actual sales are tracked in two broad categories: Passenger Cars, and Pickup Trucks & SUVs.
Year-to-Date (Jan-Oct 2019) US sales generally track with the above "impressions" activity:

Passenger Cars: 4,154,939 (Down 10% from Jan-Oct 2018)
PU Trucks & SUVs: 9,945,686 (Up 3% from Jan-Oct 2018)

Last edited:
Being an older fella, I didn*t realize how much I would like the higher step in height. Not having to squat down to get in my vehicle has been very nice.

It ain't the getting in that's the issue...that has Gravity-Assist.
It's the getting out that's the struggle ;)

I'm 28, but I have long legs, and it's just flat out a pain in my ass getting out of sedans.

I was at a local restaurant a while ago and was walking through the front door when a yellow Firebird pulled up to the curb. I figured it was a group of high school kids out for a Friday night meal.

As I opened the door to walk in, over my shoulder I heard "Uuunnnhhh" as someone tried to climb out of the thing.

I cracked up.
I didn't have to look.
I knew it wasn't teenagers.

Back