Minor complaints on interior lighting

:
2021 CX-5 GTR
I am really enjoying my 19 GT with a little over 3k behind the wheel so far. Overall a great vehicle and I love the drive. The only thing mine could use is more power. I hope to move up to the GTR at some point. One thing I noticed while driving at night is a lack of lighting in a few key areas(this after having a '16 Acura RDX for 3yrs which had better lighting). Why is there no lighting of the buttons in the overhead console with S/R and lighting buttons? No lights in the glovebox or center console. No ambient lighting coming down onto the center console. No ambient footwell lighting. All of these would be nice additions. I have not driven a Signature model - maybe they have more lighting? In any event with the luxury push of the CX-5 I feel extra lighting would help the cause and really couldn't be a big cost to Mazda.

Only complaint I have for the lighting is the homelink buttons on the mirror. There's three for the garage doors and none of them light. At night in a dark car you have to feel around to find the button. There's a little red light in the middle of the mirror but it's useless.

Only complaint I have for the lighting is the homelink buttons on the mirror. There's three for the garage doors and none of them light. At night in a dark car you have to feel around to find the button. There's a little red light in the middle of the mirror but it's useless.

Yep - there is another area. They could address this and put some ambient downlighting in the mirror at the same time!

Yep - there is another area. They could address this and put some ambient downlighting in the mirror at the same time!

I'd be happy if they just lite the homelink buttons that were programmed. I only have one programmed (the first one). At night I have to grab the mirror and feel around to find the first button. I may program the other two for the same door so I'd have a better chance of finding the right button in the dark.

I am really enjoying my 19 GT with a little over 3k behind the wheel so far. Overall a great vehicle and I love the drive. The only thing mine could use is more power. I hope to move up to the GTR at some point. One thing I noticed while driving at night is a lack of lighting in a few key areas(this after having a '16 Acura RDX for 3yrs which had better lighting). Why is there no lighting of the buttons in the overhead console with S/R and lighting buttons? No lights in the glovebox or center console. No ambient lighting coming down onto the center console. No ambient footwell lighting. All of these would be nice additions. I have not driven a Signature model - maybe they have more lighting? In any event with the luxury push of the CX-5 I feel extra lighting would help the cause and really couldn't be a big cost to Mazda.

I have a GTR, and agree with you. ESPECIALLY in the back hatch area. It's a super minor quibble, but it's one, nonetheless.

At times I wish I had purchased the foot well lighting option for my Reserve...I believe it's included with the Signature.

I've never owned a car without foot well lights. It's a very odd thing to omit.

Isn't there a light back there?

It's not real strong and it's built into the bottom of the hatch (alongside the latch), rather than inside the cargo area itself.

So it [sort of] shines down onto the area from above your head...but not really. It's weakly ambient.

A dome light or one built into a side panel back there would have been more effective, but might be prone to getting smacked by cargo. This could be why Mazda chose the location that they did. It IS protected , that's for sure.

I've yet to upgrade to LEDs...that might help.

led interior bulbs change that significantly. I just did mine recently and very happy with the results.
Its a shame that such small and cheap things are missed from Mazda.

I believe the Signature comes with interior LED lighting.

But the problem with the rear cargo area lighting is more one of light locations than light intensity.

I'm not certain which manufacturers (if any) include LED interior lighting as standard.

It's not real strong and it's built into the bottom of the hatch (alongside the latch), rather than inside the cargo area itself.

So it [sort of] shines down onto the area from above your head...but not really. It's weakly ambient.

A dome light or one built into a side panel back there would have been more effective, but might be prone to getting smacked by cargo. This could be why Mazda chose the location that they did. It IS protected , that's for sure.

I've yet to upgrade to LEDs...that might help.

You know those little LED worklights that Harbor Freight frequently gives away with any purchase ?

https://www.harborfreight.com/ultra...htflashlight-64005.html?_br_psugg_q=led+light

I keep a couple in my hatch area, They can be hooked on the seat backs on the child safety seat tie downs or stashed in the little compartments on the sides. Solves the hatch lighting issue.
Footwell lighting ? I have never had it. I always thought it was something that the ricers added. What's the purpose, checking to see if your shoes are tied ? I agree though that Mazda should have at least included a glovebox light and maybe one inside the console.

Regarding the Homelink lights, my muscle memory just makes me reach for it by touch and hit the right button. The lack of lighting has never occurred to me to be an issue.

Footwell lighting ? I have never had it. I always thought it was something that the ricers added.

Interesting.

I've owned all sorts of cars and trucks in my time. The only one I've had that lacked the foot well lighting was a 1959 Austin Healey. Being a rag top, it had zero interior lights.

But even my old '63 Lincoln, my Vega and every other American car and truck I owned had them.

I'm not doubting you (and this issue of interior lighting is more something to chat about than a major issue), but what cars have you owned that lacked lighting at your feet? Inquiring minds want to know...

Owned a '15 and now a '17 GT CX-5 - both with the Tech or Premium pkg. HID headlights on the '15 and LEDs on the '17. Both were lacking door window/lock lighting on those buttons. I think the '17 has it on the driver's window but not the lock. Our old '92 Camry LE had all window and door locks lit.

Last edited:
Interesting.
I'm not doubting you (and this issue of interior lighting is more something to chat about than a major issue), but what cars have you owned that lacked lighting at your feet? Inquiring minds want to know...

62 Chevy Biscayne, 67 International Harvester Travel All, 72 Fiat 128 Sport Coupe, 77 Mercury Capri II Ghia, 82 Camaro Berlinetta, 84 Mazda RX7 GSL-SE, 88 Mitsubishi MightyMax, 92 Toyota MR2, 2002 Inifiniti G35 Sedan, 2004 Infiniti G35 Coupe and 2009 Nissan 370Z.
Not one had footwell lighting. Dome lights, map lights, even a little A pillar map light that pivoted out on the passenger side of the Capri, but no footwell lighting in any of them.

Originally Posted by Avoidin Deer View Post
Interesting.

Never had a car with foot lighting and I've owned a lot.
65 Corvair, 67 Firebird, 68 Camaro, 69 Impala, 74 Mustang, 76 Mustang, 82 Subaru, 84 Corolla, 86 RX-7, 92 Mazda 626, 90 Tercel, 92 Cavalier, 94 Altima, 96 Acura, 98 Altima, 2000 Maxima, 2004 Altima, 2008 CR-V

Originally Posted by Avoidin Deer View Post
Interesting.

Never had a car with foot lighting and I've owned a lot.
65 Corvair, 67 Firebird, 68 Camaro, 69 Impala, 74 Mustang, 76 Mustang, 82 Subaru, 84 Corolla, 86 RX-7, 92 Mazda 626, 90 Tercel, 92 Cavalier, 94 Altima, 96 Acura, 98 Altima, 2000 Maxima, 2004 Altima, 2008 CR-V

I typically don't recall footwell lighting, but I do know a friend of mine's WRX STi has it. I think my 370Z might have. I dunno. The cargo space lighting is most noticed by me, as the pedals typically can be found in a similar place as where they were last I used the vehicle.

I typically don't recall footwell lighting, but I do know a friend of mine's WRX STi has it. I think my 370Z might have. I dunno. The cargo space lighting is most noticed by me, as the pedals typically can be found in a similar place as where they were last I used the vehicle.

I think they may be thinking of the little lights (kinda shaped like a reflector) on the lower front doors, they came on when you opened the door.
When somebody says foot lighting I'm thinking of passive lighting that lights up the area near your feet when you're sitting in the car.
Don't know, might be nomenclature.

I haven't been bothered or notice the lack of lighting. But what I am surprised about in the sport trim is there are no vanity mirror lights. I think the visors are wired for them. I don't use the vanity mirror, but would it have broken Mazda's budget to put a 50 cent bulb in the visor?

Back