Key Battery

:
2015 Mazda CX-5 Touring FWD
Anybody out there who replaces their Key battery after a specific period. Say, like every two years or so?

Anybody out there who replaces their Key battery after a specific period. Say, like every two years or so?

I do it about every 6 months or so. The batteries are cheap, you can get six packs from Amazon for less than $10.
I have two Mazdas so 6 last a couple of years.

Just repalced this weekend after 2.5 years.

The batteries are cheap, though, eBay delivered to the door for less than $.50 a piece.

I replace them every couple of years, or whenever I notice they might be low. Whichever comes first.

It's easy and the batteries are cheap.

The car warns you when it's getting weak before it fails, so there's really no reason to replace it before that happens.
But if it makes anyone feel better, replace it. There's certainly no harm in replacing it, either.

The car warns you when it's getting weak before it fails, so there's really no reason to replace it before that happens.
But if it makes anyone feel better, replace it. There's certainly no harm in replacing it, either.

Oh that's nice. Mine doesn't have that.

Oh that's nice. Mine doesn't have that.

Consider yourself lucky, the damn thing has been warning me on and off that mine was going dead for 2 years now. It finally died this weekend. lol

Sometimes it seems it does it when the key is barely in range instead of "key is not detected."

I replace them when they die. My 13 Sport doesnt do a low battery warning. Batteries on my 2 key fobs die within hours of each other after about three years. I deal with putting the key fob to the push button start until I remember to pick up new batteries.

its weird,mine says battery low and then it goes away for months without me changing the batteries.

The dealership where I bought it told me after one year.

And has been posted before but might be handy to someone new, CR2032 will fit unless the newer FOBs have changed. Reason for me is that I buy CR2032 in large packs because my bike sensors all use that size and I go through a lot of them. So I just use one of those because I have them.

Have had our 19 awd touring for 5 months and 17k miles (bought new), and already got a low key fob battery warning. Using the second fob for now but this cant be normal, can it?

Have had our *19 awd touring for 5 months and 17k miles (bought new), and already got a low key fob battery warning. Using the second fob for now but this can*t be normal, can it?

While not driving it, keep your fob away from your CX5. At least 20 ft away.
Usually the battery lasts 1-2 yrs, assume that you drive it twice a day.

Have had our 19 awd touring for 5 months and 17k miles (bought new), and already got a low key fob battery warning. Using the second fob for now but this cant be normal, can it?

Some folks report "false lows."

It's also possible that you just got a marginal battery in yours.

But I gotta think that battery life varies with the amount of use. People who repeatedly use the remote lock/unlock features have got to be putting more drain on it that people who use the door and hatch buttons rather than the fob.

1-2 years?!?! No... batteries should last 2 years MINIMUM. 3-4 is more likely. My car is 2 years and 50 weeks old and both batteries are still original.
The original batteries in my other car went well over 3 years, too.

1-2 years?!?! No... batteries should last 2 years MINIMUM. 3-4 is more likely. My car is 2 years and 50 weeks old and both batteries are still original.
The original batteries in my other car went well over 3 years, too.

That's a bit of a blanket statement, but OK.
There are so many variables, like amount of FOB usage, and quality/brand of battery, as well as the age of new batteries.
You might be buying "new" batteries at Costco or Home Depot, but there's no guaranty of how fresh they actually are.
You can also buy these things at the dollar store or at a flea market, but good luck getting two years out of those.

I'd also question the quality and age of the batteries that Mazda installs in the fob's at the factory.
It's pretty much guaranteed they buy them in bulk, at the cheapest price they can, and that they sit around for a while before they get used,
or they sit around for a while in the fob before the vehicle gets sold.
I'm a little hearing impaired, and have to wear hearing aids.
They use button batteries, and I can tell you from experience, not all batteries are created equal.

FWIW, I also heard that if you store your fob within a certain distance of your vehicle, like on the wall next to the door to the garage, that it will be using battery power as it communicates with the vehicle even through obstacles. In that case, it might be worth trying to leave your fob further away from the vehicle.

Back