Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 41

Thread: Best method for removing ice on windscreen on 2018 GT De-icer

  1. #16
    Work in Progress sm1ke's Avatar
    Contributor

    2018 Mazda CX-9 Signature

    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Location
    MB, Canada
    Posts
    2,126
    Quote Originally Posted by shadonoz View Post
    That's fine. You have options.

    But what's not ok is to say you can prove something with no basis in fact.
    Since you don't seem to understand, let me explain. I emphasized the important stuff so you don't miss it.

    I said that the scraper I used scratched my glass. Then in the following sentence I made the concession that it may not be the scraper. At this point I'm already admitting that I might be wrong.

    You mentioned the sand/dirt scratching the glass. Again, I admitted that I was wrong, then provided my opinion on using a scraper based on my experience.

    What's your angle here? Are you one of those people who simply enjoy telling people that they're wrong?

  2. #17
    Registered Member 7eregrine's Avatar

    2016.5

    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Location
    CLE
    Posts
    5,204
    I've never scratched glass with a scraper. Totally a scraper issue. Or you're just a beast.

    Not sure why you think we would flame you over that completely irrelevant to the discussion post Jonno. But you do you, buddy.

    Move to Florida for the winter.
    Well that seems a bit extreme. Some of us aren't pansies.
    (j/k)
    Last edited by 7eregrine; 11-05-2019 at 03:08 PM.

  3. #18
    Registered Member

    Soon to be 2.5T CX-5

    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Posts
    245
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonno21 View Post
    Just throwing a grenade into the discussion With an electric car you can set a timer for the cabin to heat up and defrost the car in time for you to drive away without all this de-icing and scraping nonsense. (Let the flaming begin)
    A remote start can do the same thing. The real grenade is what electric cars are gonna do to our environment, eventually, it's gonna be way worse than the gas burners.

    I hope I'm dead and gone before I'm forced to drive one.

  4. #19
    Registered Member

    2018 CX5 SE-L Nav+ 2WD 2.2D 150hp Auto

    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Derby UK
    Posts
    456
    Quote Originally Posted by ZoomZoomForever View Post
    A remote start can do the same thing. The real grenade is what electric cars are gonna do to our environment, eventually, it's gonna be way worse than the gas burners.

    I hope I'm dead and gone before I'm forced to drive one.
    Remote start for ICE cars aren't available in the UK. It's illegal to have a car with the engine running and unattended. Besides which it would get stolen anyway. The fact is the UK government (rightly or wrongly) want to ban the sale of ICE cars by 2040 (could be a moving date) so electric cars will be the norm eventually. I've not driven one yet but I'm prepared to try it with an open mind. I would be interested to hear your views as to what electric cars will do worse to the environment than ICE cars are doing or will do?
    The internet is a huge dumpster, you have to search hard to find the gold nuggets

  5. #20
    Registered Member

    2019 CX-5 Signature

    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Location
    IL
    Posts
    550
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonno21 View Post
    Remote start for ICE cars aren't available in the UK. It's illegal to have a car with the engine running and unattended. Besides which it would get stolen anyway. ...
    How would a properly "remote started" vehicle be stolen any easier than a vehicle just sitting parked? It isn't like the keys are in it and can just be driven off.

  6. #21
    Registered Member
    Contributor

    2019 CX-5 Reserve Eternal Blue

    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Location
    Central Virginia, USA...the winding rural part
    Posts
    1,613
    Quote Originally Posted by Sig cx-5 View Post
    How would a properly "remote started" vehicle be stolen any easier than a vehicle just sitting parked? It isn't like the keys are in it and can just be driven off.
    Reminds me of when I would start my '75 Vega wagon (manual shift) to warm up and go back inside to finish getting ready for work.

    Things went fine until one day I went out to drive to work and it was gone!!! My driveway is on an incline, and when I looked across the street, there sat my Vega in the neighbor's yard. Rolled down hill, went across the street and hopped the curb!

    I looked around, no one seemed to have noticed, so I got in, bumped back down the curb and drove to work. I also stopped warming my car up that way.

  7. #22
    Registered Member

    CX5 GT-R

    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    South-Central US
    Posts
    8,113
    Quote Originally Posted by starfish View Post
    I haven't had to remove ice or frost that much but when I do its usually before I've had enough coffee to remember how to do it.

    The window de-icer and defogger mystify me do they work or should I just go at the ice/frost with an ice scraper and would this create scratches on glass?

    From what I understand from the manual, you turn on the car, turn on the back defogger which turns on the front de-icer (does this work really?), then turn on the front defogger which blasts air at the windows and windscreen (turn temp to 84 or highest setting)

    https://owners-manual.mazda.com/gen/.../05030902.html

    is there a better method?

    any advice from more seasoned winter folk?
    I use a de-icer wiper fluid in the winter, and half decent blades (even oem work fine. The Bosch envisions I bought are an upgrade, but not by much).

  8. #23
    Structural Member shadonoz's Avatar
    Donated: $5

    2017 CX-5 GT AWD PP

    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Location
    State of Jefferson - SO Oregon
    Posts
    2,672
    Quote Originally Posted by sm1ke View Post
    What's your angle here? Are you one of those people who simply enjoy telling people that they're wrong?
    Ooo, looks like I hit a nerve. You seem to be unable to handle being disagreed with or contradicted, and not for the first time. Since you asked, I'll try to help you understand.

    I hate misinformation. The world is awash in bullshit. That's nothing new, but it's now worse than ever. So when I come across a demonstrably false statement, big or small, I try to set the record straight. Fact checking is important. Without it, people are misinformed or mislead or fooled.

    And when someone says they can "prove" a false statement, that's double trouble.

    So you presented a situation where I had to correct your misinformation. And you also gave me a good reason to make the general point that claiming proof where none exists is bad. It's worth repeating.

    I appreciate that you eventually corrected your misinformation thoroughly and unequivocally. You had not previously, despite your protestations. You just waffled.

    You have a lot of strong opinions. So do I, as do most of us who post here. And we all think our's are the "best", don't we. We're here to share information and opinions; we're all entitled to those opinions and to express them. But we're not entitled to our own facts, nor to pass off opinions or guesses as facts.

    It's the way conversations go. If you can't handle being contradicted, maybe this isn't a good venue for you. You often seem to get your panties in a twist.

    In any case, you should expect to be corrected in the future when you're wrong on the facts, and your opinions disagreed with at times. Get over it.

  9. #24
    Registered Member

    2018 CX5 SE-L Nav+ 2WD 2.2D 150hp Auto

    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Derby UK
    Posts
    456
    Quote Originally Posted by Sig cx-5 View Post
    How would a properly "remote started" vehicle be stolen any easier than a vehicle just sitting parked? It isn't like the keys are in it and can just be driven off.
    You'd be surprised what the criminal moron mind can dream up. Not quite the same thing but in the same ballpark, a friend of mine had his car stolen when parked and locked. It was a remote keyless entry car with push button start, as in if you have the key on you, touch the door handle and the car unlocks. When he returned to it some hours later the car had gone and he knew he'd locked it when he went away. It was probably "key relay theft" although the morons had also broken one of the front windows as there was glass on the floor. (So why do that if the code has been captured) It was a Ford car and this particular model was well known by the police for being stolen.
    Sigs are visible only in your first post on a page. To change your thread display preferences, click here and enable 'Always Show Signature'.

  10. #25
    Registered Member

    CX5 GT-R

    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    South-Central US
    Posts
    8,113
    Quote Originally Posted by ZoomZoomForever View Post
    A remote start can do the same thing. The real grenade is what electric cars are gonna do to our environment, eventually, it's gonna be way worse than the gas burners.

    I hope I'm dead and gone before I'm forced to drive one.
    They really aren't that bad. Instant torque. What's not to like other than the ideology behind them?

  11. #26
    Registered Member

    Soon to be 2.5T CX-5

    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Posts
    245
    Quote Originally Posted by Unobtanium View Post
    They really aren't that bad. Instant torque. What's not to like other than the ideology behind them?
    Hey, I didn't say they were "bad cars", of course I love the instant torque, and making one go really really really fast. They'll outrun any gas burning road car for sure, but they just don't interest me in the slightest. I'm right there with you on Tesla, btw.

  12. #27
    Registered Member 7eregrine's Avatar

    2016.5

    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Location
    CLE
    Posts
    5,204
    People say electric cars are bad because of all the emissions produced when manufacturing the cars. Like the 'coal footprint' is supposedly larger then what an ICE would use... I don't buy it.
    Sigs are visible only in your first post on a page. To change your thread display preferences, click here and enable 'Always Show Signature'.

  13. #28
    Registered Member
    Contributor

    2019 CX-5 Reserve Eternal Blue

    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Location
    Central Virginia, USA...the winding rural part
    Posts
    1,613
    Quote Originally Posted by 7eregrine View Post
    People say electric cars are bad because of all the emissions produced when manufacturing the cars. Like the 'coal footprint' is supposedly larger then what an ICE would use... I don't buy it.
    I think battery disposal and the pollution caused by electricity generating are a big part of the "just as bad" equation.

    I have not seen an honest comparison, and don't anticipate that ever happening. Hyperbole seems to always drown out facts.

  14. #29
    Work in Progress sm1ke's Avatar
    Contributor

    2018 Mazda CX-9 Signature

    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Location
    MB, Canada
    Posts
    2,126
    Quote Originally Posted by shadonoz View Post
    Ooo, looks like I hit a nerve. You seem to be unable to handle being disagreed with or contradicted, and not for the first time. Since you asked, I'll try to help you understand.

    I hate misinformation. The world is awash in bullshit. That's nothing new, but it's now worse than ever. So when I come across a demonstrably false statement, big or small, I try to set the record straight. Fact checking is important. Without it, people are misinformed or mislead or fooled.

    And when someone says they can "prove" a false statement, that's double trouble.

    So you presented a situation where I had to correct your misinformation. And you also gave me a good reason to make the general point that claiming proof where none exists is bad. It's worth repeating.

    I appreciate that you eventually corrected your misinformation thoroughly and unequivocally. You had not previously, despite your protestations. You just waffled.

    You have a lot of strong opinions. So do I, as do most of us who post here. And we all think our's are the "best", don't we. We're here to share information and opinions; we're all entitled to those opinions and to express them. But we're not entitled to our own facts, nor to pass off opinions or guesses as facts.

    It's the way conversations go. If you can't handle being contradicted, maybe this isn't a good venue for you. You often seem to get your panties in a twist.

    In any case, you should expect to be corrected in the future when you're wrong on the facts, and your opinions disagreed with at times. Get over it.
    That's a very roundabout way of saying "Yes, I do like telling people they're wrong."

    I guess I should clarify - I don't mind being told that I'm wrong, especially when provided with evidence that I am indeed wrong. I keep an open mind about most things. I just asked the question because you felt the need to wag your finger at me after I had already admitted that I was wrong. Carry on.
    Sigs are visible only in your first post on a page. To change your thread display preferences, click here and enable 'Always Show Signature'.

  15. #30
    Registered Member

    CX5 GT-R

    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    South-Central US
    Posts
    8,113
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonno21 View Post
    Just throwing a grenade into the discussion With an electric car you can set a timer for the cabin to heat up and defrost the car in time for you to drive away without all this de-icing and scraping nonsense. (Let the flaming begin)
    You can do that with a non-electric car, as well.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. How long should the windscreen take to demist?
    By wow400 in forum CX-5 General
    Replies: 63
    Last Post: 01-24-2019, 02:19 PM
  2. Removing Infotainment system in 2016-2018 CX-9
    By soal in forum CX-9 Infotainment
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 09-29-2018, 04:20 PM
  3. Removing Infotainment system in 2016-2018 CX-9
    By soal in forum CX-9 Infotainment
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 02-22-2018, 10:55 AM
  4. Replies: 21
    Last Post: 11-23-2017, 02:08 AM
  5. Is Washer Fluid with De-Icer safe to use?
    By IgoZoom in forum CX-9 General
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 02-05-2016, 10:13 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •