Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Mazda Popularity

Registered Member

17 Mazda 6 GT

Quote Originally Posted by Avoidin Deer View Post
    So many people (like me) who never considered the brand in the first place walk out of the showroom knowing we could not consider anything else. All Mazda has to do is get people in the showroom in the first place, and it seems that they make no effort to.
    And THAT folks is the entire crux of Mazda's problem.
    Read any reviews on any site from Honda or Toyota owners, and not one of them will mention that they cross shopped a Mazda.
    Honda CR-V owners will tell you they looked at Rav4's, and maybe a Subaru, but that's it.
    Rav4 owners say the same thing. They looked at a CR-V, but nothing else. No mention, ever, of any of them having looked at a Mazda.
    However, you don't have to go far to see CX-5 owners who were shopping Honda and Toyota, and for whatever reason, decided to check out Mazda.
    And Bingo, the Mazda wins.

Mazda needs to get off it's collective ass and focus all their attention on getting people into the showroom.
    Offer some sort of incentive to walk in the door. Hell, how about a free set of dishes for test driving a CX-5? Something....anything.
    The cars will sell themselves, if only Mazda could convince or entice people to check them out.
    There's not a soul out there that's contemplating buying a CR-V or Rav4 etc., that will be inspired to go to a Mazda dealer, given the current advertising program.
    It sucks.

Registered Member
    Contributor

2019 CX-5 Reserve Eternal Blue

Central Virginia, USA...the winding rural part
    Quote Originally Posted by Buzzman12 View Post
    However, you don't have to go far to see CX-5 owners who were shopping Honda and Toyota, and for whatever reason, decided to check out Mazda.
    I've said this before: I was shopping for a used CR-V or RAV-4, and there happened to be a Mazda dealer next door to Carmax, so I went in. Once I got behind the wheel of the CX-5, there was no way I has going to be happy with either the Honda or the Toyota, new or used. But Mazda didn't get me in the showroom.

13' CX-5 and 16' Mazda6 both Touring w/Tech/Bose

Quote Originally Posted by Pitter View Post
    Apropos of nothing really but I've seen some posts or questions asking why Mazda doesn't sell more cars. Just thought I'd mention that here in Colombia in 2018 the Mazda CX-5 ranked number 12 in sales of individual car models and the brand Mazda was number four behind GM, Renault and Nissan. Cheers.
    In the US, Mazda is like that hot chick (or dude) that you can have fun with and not spend a ton of cash taking out. Looks stunning in red dress, may have stood you up in the past, may have cheated on you. Problem is people don't see said date as family type.

Fast forward to today, said hot person now has a Bachelor's degree and is ready to settle down. Even is dressing up more business-like now. Easier to live with and is willing to start a family. You won't know it until you go back on a date all these years later.

Registered Member

2019 CX5 GTR

I came over to Mazda because one of my daughters had a Mazda 3 which I thought had a really nice interior and I always enjoyed driving it. I previously had a RAV 4 Limited with the V6 which I had good luck with for 12 years, I had been researching the CX5 for a few years and when the word got out that a Turbo was coming I decided to hold out for it. Drove the Turbo and Non Turbo and probably would of been satisfied with the non but opted for the Reserve, the real selling point to me was the interior as I was also looking at a Lexus but the Mazda seemed like a much better value.

Contributor

2018 Mazda CX-9 Signature

Quote Originally Posted by CX-5um View Post
    In the US, Mazda is like that hot chick (or dude) that you can have fun with and not spend a ton of cash taking out. Looks stunning in red dress, may have stood you up in the past, may have cheated on you. Problem is people don't see said date as family type.

Fast forward to today, said hot person now has a Bachelor's degree and is ready to settle down. Even is dressing up more business-like now. Easier to live with and is willing to start a family. You won't know it until you go back on a date all these years later.
    Lol, this is a funny analogy, but it's also quite accurate. Soon to come - mid-life crisis aka the return of the Speed

Registered Member

2016 CX-5 GT

I know I told a friend of mine I was getting a CX-5 and his response was ďI donít think you want a FordĒ so that negative stigma is still out there with a some people Iím sure.

Registered Member

Soon to be 2.5T CX-5

Quote Originally Posted by integ3 View Post
    I know I told a friend of mine I was getting a CX-5 and his response was *I don*t think you want a Ford* so that negative stigma is still out there with a some people I*m sure.
    I've heard this before too, actually from someone I thought was somewhat knowledgeable about cars, too. It's sad.

But, they're definitely right, I don't want a Ford. Never have, never will.

Registered Member

2019 CX5 Reserve AWD

Quote Originally Posted by ZoomZoomForever View Post
    I've heard this before too, actually from someone I thought was somewhat knowledgeable about cars, too. It's sad.

But, they're definitely right, I don't want a Ford. Never have, never will.
    Had two, they both sucked.

Gen-1 Kodo Design 👌 ColoradoDriver's Avatar
    Donated: $5

2014 CX-5 Touring AWD

Quote Originally Posted by ceric View Post
    I happen to like Mazda's new marketing positioning, which is one notch above Honda and Toyota.
    Every co-worker who sat in my Mazda6 was impressed. They never considered Mazda before.
    I recommended Mazda to two co-workers, who had Honda/Toyota on their shopping list. They both brought back Mazda at the end of shopping. Overall, a better package, they said. Especially, CX5 against competition.
    Yeah but that's the problem. Their marketing completely sucks ass in NA, hence people don't even consider them unless they have friends/family/coworkers who show them their Mazda.

When I bought mine, I had no intention to even look at a Mazda. My brand impression of Mazda was pretty poor at the time because I remember shitty broken down Mazdas from being a kid. Then family and a coworker suggested I go look at a CX-5. I immediately loved it versus the crap that was out at the time in the CUV space (Spring 2013).

Anyway, you're right, most people given a chance to try or sit in a Mazda, like them. The problem is that this marketing you like didn't get them there.

EDIT: Oh and I have coworkers and other acquaintances who thought Mazdas were still Fords. That's another problem. Maybe throw that in your marketing, Mazda. "Hey we have not been Ford for many years now. Look at how much better and well liked our cars are now. Visit a showroom today..."
    Last edited by ColoradoDriver; 11-04-2019 at 12:32 PM.
    2014 CX-5 Touring AWD 2.5L | Jet Black Mica - 87k miles
    01/2013 build | 4/20/2013 delivery

Registered Member

2019 CX-5 Signature

Quote Originally Posted by Buzzman12 View Post
    And THAT folks is the entire crux of Mazda's problem.
    Read any reviews on any site from Honda or Toyota owners, and not one of them will mention that they cross shopped a Mazda.
    Honda CR-V owners will tell you they looked at Rav4's, and maybe a Subaru, but that's it.
    Rav4 owners say the same thing. They looked at a CR-V, but nothing else. No mention, ever, of any of them having looked at a Mazda.

I disagree with this. I also belong to the CR-V forum, as well as Lexus and a couple others. We were planning on replacing my wife's 2010 CR-V with a new one, until the whole OD issue popped up. Anyway's, there are several threads comparing the 3 models. The biggest drawback for some looking at the Cx-5 is space. If you need to haul more stuff, it drops down on your list. The other 2, especially the CR-V, has noticeably more.

I've seen people cross shopping the Acura RDX with the CX-5 Signature, myself included. Mazda is even mentioned quite often on the Lexus site, which sm1ke is also a member of. It is starting to get recognised, which should help get people into the showrooms to see what they've been missing. It takes time.

Registered Member

why should we care that their marketing sucks? I like not seeing a billion cx-5s out there.

Registered Member

2019 Mazda CX-5 GTR

Because we want to see Mazda succeed and continue to innovate? Sinking sales numbers put a crimp in development spending...............

Quote Originally Posted by theplayer11 View Post
    why should we care that their marketing sucks? I like not seeing a billion cx-5s out there.

Registered Member
    Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by theplayer11 View Post
    I drove to an event in a large town about 50 miles away. When I hit traffic, I notice 3 CX-5s and a CX-9 right there in traffic next to me! I was shocked.

Registered Member
    Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by Sig cx-5 View Post
    I disagree with this. I also belong to the CR-V forum, as well as Lexus and a couple others. We were planning on replacing my wife's 2010 CR-V with a new one, until the whole OD issue popped up. Anyway's, there are several threads comparing the 3 models. The biggest drawback for some looking at the Cx-5 is space. If you need to haul more stuff, it drops down on your list. The other 2, especially the CR-V, has noticeably more.

I've seen people cross shopping the Acura RDX with the CX-5 Signature, myself included. Mazda is even mentioned quite often on the Lexus site, which sm1ke is also a member of. It is starting to get recognised, which should help get people into the showrooms to see what they've been missing. It takes time.
    You know, I see on paper that the cargo space difference is substantial. But other than those optics, are there really people out there stuffing so much stuff into the back that they'd not have enough room in a CX-5? Or is this a matter of the paper difference being so stark that it scares some folks away?

Registered Member

17 Mazda 6 GT

Quote Originally Posted by Sig cx-5 View Post

I understand what you are saying, but you have to realize that 99% of buyers looking for a mid size SUV are not car people, and do not belong on any car sites, like this one.
    The enthusiastic folks like yourself, and the others you mention, are the exception, not the rule.
    I know very few guys (and no women) who frequent car sites.
    I've talked to many friends and family members over the years about car buying, and non of them did any worthwhile research before buying.
    Non of them bought a Mazda, and non of them even looked at one before buying their Hondas, Toyotas or Kias, or whatever.
    These people are buying a name they think is a safe bet.
    How many soccer moms do you think actually search the internet to find out how much storage space a CR-V has vs a CX-5? Answer: none.
    The true car buying enthusiast like yourself, and others on this site, are not the problem.
    It's the other 99% of lazy, uninterested, buyers that can't be bothered to cross shop or do any sort of research, that Mazda somehow needs to reach.
    Until people start taking car buying a little more serious, and start investing the time and effort into doing a little more research and homework,
    then Companies like Honda and Toyota will continue to top the sales chart, while producing vehicles of lesser and cheaper quality.....and getting away with it.
    It sometime boggles my mind that people will spend more time researching and fussing over a new cell phone.

Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast