Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4121314

Thread: Mazda Popularity

Registered Member
    Contributor

2019 CX-5 Reserve Eternal Blue

Central Virginia, USA...the winding rural part
    Quote Originally Posted by Chocolate View Post
    I would have preferred the i-stop system over CD. In city environments, the i-stop will save more fuel than CD.

If not, assign it to a hard switch like others that use start/stop. That is a truly inexplicable omission. With this one, easy change, anyone who doesn't want it can opt out, and they'd still get the EPA or equivalent credit for it.
    I think it was you who posted the CX-5 review video posted by a guy in Malaysia. He has a turbo. His car has i-Stop.

So i-Stop exists in the CX-5 (including turbo models) in some markets. Unless he misspoke.

Regarding the On/Off CD switch, wouldn't you still have the Hydraulic Lash Adjuster hardware?

Donated: $40

Mazda

I have start/stop in my new car and absolutely hate it. Luckily there's a button to disable it, but not permanently. I have to hit the button every time I get in the car.

Apparently VW doesn't want to mess with the EPA too much at this point. Start/stop is technically an emissions device.
    NPOT (Norcal Protege Options Team)
    http://www.cardomain.com/ride/335883...photo-gallery/

Registered Member

None

Quote Originally Posted by yrwei52 View Post
    There’s i-stop by Mazda for this purpose but unfortunately it’s not available in the US. And Mazda’s i-stop is better than other stop/start system utilizing engine compression to re-start the engine quicker and smoother.

Mazda CX-5's cylinder deactivation operates only at sustained cruising speed between 25 mph and 50 mph (40 km/h to 80 km/h) which means it won’t be activated while we’re driving on the Interstate Highway.

Mazda should simply feature this already-available i-stop instead of spending much money to develop very problematic cylinder deactivation system to have minimum gain on MPG. And i-stop can be de-activated easily by a push button switch if the driver doesn’t want the feature.

Thank you, yrwei52. I knew about Mazda’s i-Loop but never heard of i-Stop. I googled the term and read about it. i-Stop seems like a better way to do it then automatic stop-and-start. AS&S uses the car’s battery and starter. Think of all the extra wear and tear on these two components that AS&S causes.

Donated: $8

2016 Mazda CX-5 GT AWD w/Tech

Arrow Mazda Popularity

Quote Originally Posted by Caligula View Post
    Thank you, yrwei52. I knew about Mazda’s i-Loop but never heard of i-Stop. I googled the term and read about it. i-Stop seems like a better way to do it then automatic stop-and-start. AS&S uses the car’s battery and starter. Think of all the extra wear and tear on these two components that AS&S causes.
    Yeah Mazda does have an excellent automatic stop/start system, i-stop, which is unique comparing to others with similar system. The engine will always be stopped at the compressor cycle of the piston. The engine re-starts with either the engine compression only or with little help of starter. Hence the engine re-start is quicker and smoother than others where they rely only on the starter to re-start the engine. I’ve read several reviews about Mazda’s i-stop and all of them applauded the i-stop, and believed it’s the best automatic stop/start system available on the market. Yeah we shouldn’t use the bad experience from other automatic stop/start system to dis-credit the i-stop, and at least there’s a switch to turn it off if you really don’t like it.

Again Mazda should use available i-stop and i-Eloop to get minimum gain on MPG for EPA ratings for the US market, not by spending valuable research money to develop a “new” cylinder deactivation system which has bad reputation of long-term reliability issues. Not to mention the risk of screw-ups such as the rocker-arm falling-off problem due to this “new” design.

Mazda's excellent i-stop system which is not available in the US:

Contributor

2018 Mazda CX-9 Signature

Again Mazda should use available i-stop and i-Eloop to get minimum gain on MPG for EPA ratings for the US market, not by spending valuable research money to develop a *new* cylinder deactivation system which has bad reputation of long-term reliability issues. Not to mention the risk of screw-ups such as the rocker-arm falling-off problem due to this *new* design.
    Maybe you should lend your crystal ball to Mazda. Seems like you've got all the answers.

You know what else has a bad reputation of long-term reliability issues? Auto start/stop. But Mazda implemented their own version, and by all accounts, it seems to be executed well. Factory turbocharged engines carry a stigma of poor reliability as well, but Mazda developed the dynamic pressure turbo engine anyway. The only way they were able to get where they are was to innovate and try new things. Now, I'll agree that CD was a bit of a let-down given the minor mpg increase and the recall that came out of the software flaw, but that doesn't mean that they should just stick to the old stuff. Obviously they thought they could reinvent CD to be better than the rest, and this time, they were wrong. "Standing still" with the non-CD Skyactiv-G engine would have done a lot for establishing reliability. But when the industry and regulations change, they have to adapt. Do you think that they should axe the SPCCI research as well? What about electrification? And the research on an inline-six engine and RWD platform?

Registered Member

Soon to be 2.5T CX-5

Quote Originally Posted by sm1ke View Post
    Do you think that they should axe the SPCCI research as well?
    I do.

The should ax CD and I-Stop too.

An inline 6 and RWD sound great, though. Bring it.

Donated: $8

2016 Mazda CX-5 GT AWD w/Tech

Arrow Mazda Popularity

Maybe you should lend your crystal ball to Mazda. Seems like you've got all the answers.

You know what else has a bad reputation of long-term reliability issues? Auto start/stop. But Mazda implemented their own version, and by all accounts, it seems to be executed well. Factory turbocharged engines carry a stigma of poor reliability as well, but Mazda developed the dynamic pressure turbo engine anyway. The only way they were able to get where they are was to innovate and try new things. Now, I'll agree that CD was a bit of a let-down given the minor mpg increase and the recall that came out of the software flaw, but that doesn't mean that they should just stick to the old stuff. Obviously they thought they could reinvent CD to be better than the rest, and this time, they were wrong. "Standing still" with the non-CD Skyactiv-G engine would have done a lot for establishing reliability. But when the industry and regulations change, they have to adapt. Do you think that they should axe the SPCCI research as well? What about electrification? And the research on an inline-six engine and RWD platform?
    I don’t use crystal ball but I use my common sense. i-stop and i-Eloop have been used in other markets by Mazda for many years. They have some issues, just like many other features which unfortunately we’ve to pay the price with added features. At least Mazda don’t have to spend additional cash to develop a risky new system like cylinder deactivation, and easily to help Mazda to get a bit of gain on EPA ratings.

Each innovation is different and the result is different too. The reliability on turbo can be improved by better heat-resistant material and better design on cooling and lubrication. On the other hand, there’s no way to prevent big thermal variation for a few cylinders which are active and in-active frequently, and additional energy needed to compress the air in a sealed environment of in-active cylinders. These are the inherent deficiency from cylinder deactivation design, and there’s no way to get around with them. Like the rotary engine, there’s no way to reduce the fuel and oil consumptions as well as emissions because these come with the natural of the rotary engine. Hence rotary engine died because of them.

I’m worried about Mazda’s new SPCCI SkyActiv-X too. It’s getting too complicated from original HCCI design which is supposed to be simple and efficient. It now has added not only the spark ignition, but also the super charger. Like cylinder deactivation, many had tried HCCI concept before and failed to bring it into production as a reliable product. Do you really believe Mazda’s engineers are that superior than engineers in other car manufactures?

Gen-1 Kodo Design 👌 ColoradoDriver's Avatar
    Donated: $5

2014 CX-5 Touring AWD

Do you think that they should axe the SPCCI research as well? What about electrification? And the research on an inline-six engine and RWD platform?
    It's straying from the initial HCCI concept quite a bit. But I'll reserve judgement for now and see how it ends up.

Inline-six sounds awesome to me.
    2014 CX-5 Touring AWD 2.5L | Jet Black Mica - 87k miles
    01/2013 build | 4/20/2013 delivery

Contributor

I don*t use crystal ball but I use my common sense. ~ Do you really believe Mazda*s engineers are that superior than engineers in other car manufactures?
    Yes, I do believe their engineers are better than some other manufacturers. That doesn't make them perfect, and I know they can fail, but they can succeed as well. I have my doubts about SPCCI as well, but as you said, it's different from the HCCI concept that others failed to bring to production. I guess I'm just more optimistic about their ambitions, but I'll wait and see what they end up with before I make any judgement.

Anyway, my point was that auto start/stop tech suffers from inherent deficiencies, but Mazda's i-Stop minimized some of those deficiencies. Turbocharged DI engines are more prone to carbon build-up by design, but Mazda engineered the 2.5T to minimalize the build-up. Time will tell if they were successful or not. If Mazda incorporated CD without tweaking it in some way, then I totally agree with you that they should have left it alone or used i-Stop instead. I have to wonder if the 2.5 N/A with CD would be as reviled by the gen pop as it is today, if it had debuted with the right software.
    Sigs are visible only in your first post on a page. To change your thread display preferences, click here and enable 'Always Show Signature'.

Registered Member
    Contributor

Turbocharged DI engines are more prone to carbon build-up by design, but Mazda engineered the 2.5T to minimalize the build-up. Time will tell if they were successful or not.
    Hasn't this engine been in the CX-9 for a while? I'm not a long-term Mazda guy. Has it been around long enough to have some indication if this might be an issue?

Registered Member

2019 CX-5 Signature

Quote Originally Posted by Avoidin Deer View Post
    Hasn't this engine been in the CX-9 for a while? I'm not a long-term Mazda guy. Has it been around long enough to have some indication if this might be an issue?
    I believe 2016 was the first year.

Registered Member
    Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by Sig cx-5 View Post
    I believe 2016 was the first year.
    Is that right?

When I bought my Reserve, I had myself convinced it had been more time-tested. I guess 3 years is better than nuthin'

I don't like being an Early Adopter.

Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by Avoidin Deer View Post
    Is that right?

When I bought my Reserve, I had myself convinced it had been more time-tested. I guess 3 years is better than nuthin'

I don't like being an Early Adopter.
    Yep, 2016 was the first year, debuted on the 2016 CX-9. It's been the only engine option on the CX-9 since then. For the 2018 Mazda6, they added the GT Reserve and Signature trims - both come standard with the 2.5T. Then they did the same thing for the 2019 CX-5.

I don't like being an early adopter either. I waited 2 years for Mazda to shake out any issues, but given the generally low sales of the CX-9, it's hard to really say just how reliable it will be because there are fewer examples out there (compared to a historically strong seller like the Highlander, for example). I bit the bullet anyway because nothing else in my price range could compare at the time. No regrets to this day!
    Sigs are visible only in your first post on a page. To change your thread display preferences, click here and enable 'Always Show Signature'.

Registered Member
    Contributor

Yep, 2016 was the first year, debuted on the 2016 CX-9. It's been the only engine option on the CX-9 since then. For the 2018 Mazda6, they added the GT Reserve and Signature trims - both come standard with the 2.5T. Then they did the same thing for the 2019 CX-5.

I don't like being an early adopter either. I waited 2 years for Mazda to shake out any issues, but given the generally low sales of the CX-9, it's hard to really say just how reliable it will be because there are fewer examples out there (compared to a historically strong seller like the Highlander, for example). I bit the bullet anyway because nothing else in my price range could compare at the time. No regrets to this day!
    Yeh, so far I'm loving my Reserve.

Just for grins I snagged some CX-9 and Highlander US sales data. I see what you mean.
    Six weeks of Highlander sales = 12 months of CX-9 sales:

Year......CX-9.......Highlander
    2010....28,908.... 92,121
    2009....21,132.... 83,118
    (Of course, the CX-9 is not Mazda's top seller, so it's hardly a meaningful comparison)

By way of comparison, 2018 CX-5 sales were about 151,000.

I'm not sure what this In-Service base of CX-9s does to give us a sense of turbo reliability.
    Other than knowing there's no universal catastrophic failure, probably not much, huh?
    Last edited by Avoidin Deer; 11-15-2019 at 12:31 PM.

Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4121314