Thread: Steering column extension possible?

Registered Member

Steering column extension possible?

Make T-Rex jokes if you must, but I canít find a seat/wheel position in my 2018 T where Iím not either too close to the pedals (knees way up, no thigh support, sore hips) or too far away from the wheel (arms too straight for steering to feel comfortable and responsive, subconsciously hunching forward, etc). Iím 6í1Ē 195, so Iím not really a giant and I actually have fairly long arms... maybe I just have really super long shins??

Anyway, does anyone know if itís possible to have the steering column extended a couple inches with an adapter of some sort? Iíve seen them out there for other cars, but havenít found anything specific to the CX-5.

Thanks!
    Last edited by NateW; 11-26-2019 at 05:34 PM.

Donated: $5

2017 CX-5 GT AWD PP

No idea, but curious: What's your sleeve length?

Donated: $8

2016 Mazda CX-5 GT AWD w/Tech

Arrow Steering column extension possible?

Quote Originally Posted by NateW View Post
    Make T-Rex jokes if you must, but I canít find a seat/wheel position in my 2018 T where Iím not either too close to the pedals (knees way up, no thigh support, sore hips) or too far away from the wheel (arms too straight for steering to feel comfortable and responsive, subconsciously hunching forward, etc). Iím 6í1Ē 195, so Iím not really a giant and I actually have fairly long arms... maybe I just have really super long shins??

Anyway, does anyone know if itís possible to have the steering column extended a couple inches with an adapter of some sort? Iíve seen them out there for other cars, but havenít found anything specific to the CX-5.

Thanks!
    Steering wheel is adjustable. The column can be adjusted in length and angle. Have you tried to loose the lock level underneath and pull the steering wheel out at the fullest?

Registered Member

Cx5

Probably just the terrible seats. At 6í1Ē I doubt youíll ever get sufficient thigh support with the short base.

2019 Mazda CX-5 AWD

6' here, I have the seat all the way back and almost all the way down. I have the seatback almost all the way upright so I can lean back in it and maintain good posture. Pretty comfortable to me in the cloth seats.

Registered Member

2019 CX-5 Signature

The seats are very comfortable for me at 6'4", so I don't think it's that. I have it all the way back and down. I also have the wheel as far down as it goes. I'm pretty sure a steering wheel extender is not necessary, if one even exists. Just play around with the wheel adjustments and seat tilt/recline settings.

Registered Member

2019 CX-5 Signature (previously 2016 CX-5 GT)

Had my current '19 since I think March. As a shorter person (5'6"), I immediately made my usual seat adjustments and dropped the steering wheel to the lowest height setting (my preference in any vehicle). While I adjusted the telescoping setting initially, I just recently found moving it to a slightly more retracted position reduced the fatigue on my right forearm on longer trips. That fatigue isn't really the car's fault, but rather the way I tend to position my right forearm & hand when driving in any vehicle.

Long way of agreeing with those who recommend messing more around with all adjustments (seat, wheel height and distance) in relation to one another, and seeing if a better setting for you can be found.

Registered Member

2019 CX-5 GTR

Quote Originally Posted by NateW View Post
    Make T-Rex jokes if you must, but I can*t find a seat/wheel position in my 2018 T where I*m not either too close to the pedals (knees way up, no thigh support, sore hips) or too far away from the wheel (arms too straight for steering to feel comfortable and responsive, subconsciously hunching forward, etc). I*m 6*1* 195, so I*m not really a giant and I actually have fairly long arms... maybe I just have really super long shins??

Anyway, does anyone know if it*s possible to have the steering column extended a couple inches with an adapter of some sort? I*ve seen them out there for other cars, but haven*t found anything specific to the CX-5.

Thanks!
    Have you gone through setting up the seat and steering adjustment procedure in the manual? I found that very helpful.

Registered Member

2018 CX-5 Sport

It is interesting that the 6' guys like the seat all the way down. I have my seat all the way up. I am 6' and still have plenty of head room. I have manual seat adjusters, probably doesn't make a difference.

Donated: $45
    CX Moderator

'15 CX-5 Miata GT AWD w/Tech 2.5L

Quote Originally Posted by shadonoz View Post
    No idea, but curious: What's your sleeve length?

Registered Member

2019 CX-5 Signature

Quote Originally Posted by MyFirstMazda View Post
    It is interesting that the 6' guys like the seat all the way down. I have my seat all the way up. I am 6' and still have plenty of head room. I have manual seat adjusters, probably doesn't make a difference.
    Moving it down also moves it further away, so that's a must for me.

Registered Member

2019 CX-5 Signature (previously 2016 CX-5 GT)

Quote Originally Posted by Chris_Top_Her View Post
    I love that gif, use it all the time!