Mazda Popularity

Crickets. It is amusing to constantly push the Rav4 hybrid (?) on a CX-5 forum.

https://www.motortrend.com/cars/hon...da-cr-v-vs-2017-mazda-cx-5-comparison-review/

When it comes to driving technology, both vehicles offer a full suite of optional active safety aids, including automatic emergency braking, adaptive cruise control, and lane keeping assist. We like the CX-5's ability to use adaptive cruise control in stop-and-go traffic, but we find its blind-spot warning system hyperactive and hyper-vigilant, beeping wildly when the car in the next lane is two car lengths behind. We also each experienced an unnecessary panic brake from the system, something we've noticed in other Mazdas. The CR-V's collision warning system was also overzealous, blinking BRAKE in the instrument cluster far too often, but at least it only made noise if it was actually going to be a close call. When it comes to lane keeping systems, though, Honda's is clearly more advanced and more aggressive, doing its best to keep you in the center of the lane; the Mazda's doesn't engage until you're wandering over the line.

https://www.edmunds.com/mazda/cx-5/

Driver aids
All of the latest advanced safety features are available. The lane departure warning system emits a unique low-pitched buzzing sound that really gets your attention. The blind-spot monitor is overly sensitive, even triggering while you're passing vehicles several car lengths behind.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o-iWU8VGCH0&feature=youtu.be&t=1770

Happy now? I haven't heard the same complaints about RAV or CRV.

You haven't? Check out the Honda forum (we used to own a CR-V).

^^ Agree

Example: I've read numerous posts on the CR-V braking for no apparent reason. I don't believe I've seen any on this forum, regarding the CX-5.

The lane keep assist on my 19 gas RAV4 as well as blind spot monitoring is really good. Keeps me centered very well in my lane while on cruise control. Blind spot monitoring feels natural compared to my driving habits. I didnt realize how aggressive or panicky my mother in laws 18 CX-5 lane departure warning and blind spot monitoring was compared to Toyotas safety sense 2.0. It actually gave me a little anxiety lol. Might have been able to adjust the sensitivity but I didnt want to screw with what she was used to.

The lane keep assist on my 19 gas RAV4 as well as blind spot monitoring is really good. Keeps me centered very well in my lane while on cruise control. Blind spot monitoring feels natural compared to my driving habits. I didnt realize how aggressive or panicky my mother in laws 18 CX-5 lane departure warning and blind spot monitoring was compared to Toyotas safety sense 2.0. It actually gave me a little anxiety lol. Might have been able to adjust the sensitivity but I didnt want to screw with what she was used to.

Gentlemen, I rest my case.

Yes.

Here we go again with why do people buy the cars they buy.
Heres goes me again citing the post I always cite when this comes up. It's 3 years old now but I doubt things have changed.
#1 Reliability.
#2 LOOKS
#3 Brand Loyalty
#4 Reviews\Reputation
#5 Ride\Handling
#6 Price
#7 MPG tied with #7 Safety
#9 Quality
#10 AWD

https://www.nydailynews.com/autos/b...ns-people-buy-specific-cars-article-1.2552707
Yeah I definitely agree that the reliability is the number one consideration on buying a new car for most of consumers. But when there's a conflict between the priorities, such as reliability and looks although "looks" is listed as number 2, most would choose reliability. That's why Toyota RAV4 or Honda CR-V out-sells Mazda CX-5 roughly 3 times more because most people would believe the reliability is definitely better on RAV4 or CR-V than CX-5 although most would agree CX-5 is a nicer looking car.

Looks sell cars. I walked around my office once and asked people why they bought the cars they did.
"Legroom" or "Trunk space" were... not once mentioned. :D
I myself chose CX-5 back in 2016 over RAV4 or CR-V is because at the time the quality rating on Mazda is rated no. 3 by Consumer Reports, and high-compression SkyActiv Technology without turbo and traditional 6-speed auto also meet my requirements for possible ling-term reliability. And nice-looking than others was definitely a plus too. No. 3 ratings rating on reliability is good enough for me as I handle most of car maintenance and problems by myself. And that's why I used to get only VW vehicles although most people trash the brand because of the poor reliability record.

And I am so tired of people saying "Everyone thinks Ford still owns Mazda". Ok, first of all? NO, they don't. Second, Ford quality is better today then it's ever been in history so thinking negatively of a brand because it's associated with Ford...well that would just be dumb today. Last, I am willing to bet pink slips even WHEN Ford did own part of Mazda at least 60% of the buying public didn't know it then. And I bet that's a low guess.
I couldn't agree with you more on this. Mazda's poor sales have nothing to do with Ford. In fact, most people don't even know they once related!

I AM a car enthusiast and I never knew that until I was doing research to buy one. (rofl2)
I know Mazda since I was young. Most car enthusiasts were really excited when Mazda came out with the rotary engine in 1960's. In fact the Mazda GLC was the one of the preferred "dream' car I wanted in early 1980 although I have never had one. The poor reliability in general and the failure of rotary engines definitely hurt the reputation of Mazda, and that's one of the reason I didn't think of getting a Mazda for many years until my 2016 CX-5.

Agreed. And the whole idea of people buying a car for looks is hilarious. Is the CRV the best looking vehicle in the class? How about that ugly last generation RAV4? Both the CRV and RAV4 get better fuel economy, better safety tech and more cargo room. Meanwhile the sexy Mazda vehicles sit on lots unsold. Ive heard people here bash the new RAV4s looks(I happen to like the looks). If its such a horrible looking vehicles, why cant dealers keep the RAV4 Hybrid in stock? Think maybe the hybrid power train has something to do with it? CX9 is the perfect example of what is wrong with Mazda. A nice looking SUV with no hybrid option and a cramped, dark, claustrophobic interior.
I have to agree with you on this in most cases. I really don't believe most Toyota RAV4 owners, especially the previous gen, or Honda CR-V owners bought their vehicle purely because of the looks. They most likely bought it because of the reliability reputation.

Agreed. And the whole idea of people buying a car for looks is hilarious. Is the CRV the best looking vehicle in the class? How about that ugly last generation RAV4? Both the CRV and RAV4 get better fuel economy, better safety tech and more cargo room. Meanwhile the sexy Mazda vehicles sit on lots unsold. Ive heard people here bash the new RAV4s looks(I happen to like the looks). If its such a horrible looking vehicles, why cant dealers keep the RAV4 Hybrid in stock? Think maybe the hybrid power train has something to do with it? CX9 is the perfect example of what is wrong with Mazda. A nice looking SUV with no hybrid option and a cramped, dark, claustrophobic interior.
Would never consider any vehicle that I didn't really like the looks off..no way

Mazda's history is long, which is not shorter than Toyota and Honda. It's not a newer brand like Hyundai. Mazda does have many innovations for auto industry, but then followed by many screw-ups sometimes due to the innovations. Rotary engine was big, but the poor reliability and bad fuel efficiency hurt it badly during oil crisis in 1973, and caused financial difficulties and the more share of partnership from Ford. After the failure of rotary engine which couldn't meet newer emission standard (due to the natural of burning oil), and poor fuel efficiency, as well as the long-term reliability issue, the MPV was a big hit for the beginning of minivan era. But the poor quality and reliability, and the failure to compete with other bigger minivan, which caused another screw-up of the good opportunity to make Mazda big. CX-7 was a good hit too, but the problematic turbo engine which made many CX-7 owners abandoned the Mazda brand again. SkyActiv Technology is nice, which also attracted me to get a 2016 CX-5. But with added cylinder deactivation for almost no gain on MPG, IMO this's going to be another screw-up like many others in Mazda history.

Mazda's US customer retention rate is low at 37% in 2016. Ex Mazda CEO Masamichi Kogai once said he wanted to bring that up to 60%! Based on too many missing old members here in this forum, there're not too many repeated CX-5 owners around, including me where I cancelled my purchase plan of another CX-5 in 2018 due to cylinder deactivation.

What case?
BSM works fine for me, never have any false positives (unlike Honda) and I don't find LD aggressive. If you start crossing the lane don't you want to know about it? I just notice a slight vibration in the steering wheel.

"... the Mazda GLC was the one of the preferred "dream' car I wanted in early 1980 although I have never had one."

My girlfriend bought a new one, beige and we drove to Mexico in it from the mid-west. Very nice little car and no problems whatsoever.

"I really don't believe most Toyota RAV4 owners, especially the previous gen, or Honda CR-V owners bought their vehicle purely because of the looks. They most likely bought it because of the reliability reputation."

Regarding the "reliability reputation" Consumer Reports predicted the 2019 CX-5 to be MORE reliable than either CRV, RAV or Subaru. One can disagree with Consumer Reports of course but you"d have to try to find a better, more inclusive data bank.

What case?
BSM works fine for me, never have any false positives (unlike Honda) and I don't find LD aggressive. If you start crossing the lane don't you want to know about it? I just notice a slight vibration in the steering wheel.

Thats how I would want it to work, but it wouldve needed some adjustment on my mother in laws car. Not a deal breaker by any means but BSM often triggered on cars two lanes over. I wish I had more time to fiddle with it when it was in my hands. The HUD might have made me more anxious TBH. I kept looking at that thing instead of the road especially when it thought I was driving too close. Personal preference, I might have turned off the HUD if it were my vehicle.

Last edited:
"I really don't believe most Toyota RAV4 owners, especially the previous gen, or Honda CR-V owners bought their vehicle purely because of the looks. They most likely bought it because of the reliability reputation."

Regarding the "reliability reputation" Consumer Reports predicted the 2019 CX-5 to be MORE reliable than either CRV, RAV or Subaru. One can disagree with Consumer Reports of course but you"d have to try to find a better, more inclusive data bank.
Not sure where did you read the reliability ratings on Consumer Reports, but Toyota and Lexus have always been rated No. 1 or No. 2 EVERY YEAR.

Just ran into an old post in CX-9 forum and found the latest Consumer Reports Car Brands Reliability ranking. Unforyunatrly Mazdas reliability keeps dropping now its #12 dropped 6 spots from 2016! The brand reliability now is behind Honda、Hyundai、Nissan, the only one worse than Mazda among all Asian brands is Acura! I personally dont read too much into CR since they faked roll-over reports on Suzuki Samurai and Isuzu Trooper, but their reliability data is still the best collected from thousands of vehicle owners since 1960s. This also coincides my feeling on Mazdas quality and reliability during my almost 3 years of ownership on our 2016 Mazda CX-5 GT AWD. Im gradually losing confidence on our CX-5s longevity after many things in our CX-5 started falling apart. Before anyone jumping into conclusion that CR is not trustworthy on reliability data, in 2015 when we purchased our CX-5, the salesman proudly showed me the reliability ranking from CR, at that time Mazda was #4! And that was part of reason we made the purchase, and kept recommending it to friends and family.

Car Brands Reliability: How They Stack Up

Ranking the brands and showing their most and least reliable cars

attachment.php

View attachment 217979

In the first column Consumer Reports' 2019 Predicted Reliability is shown. The darkest green is the highest rating.

49035150023_0dda6a986d_b.jpg

What case?

My 2015 had false positives often. My 2019, no.

Mazda's history is long, which is not shorter than Toyota and Honda. It's not a newer brand like Hyundai. Mazda does have many innovations for auto industry, but then followed by many screw-ups sometimes due to the innovations. Rotary engine was big, but the poor reliability and bad fuel efficiency hurt it badly during oil crisis in 1973, and caused financial difficulties and the more share of partnership from Ford. After the failure of rotary engine which couldn't meet newer emission standard (due to the natural of burning oil), and poor fuel efficiency, as well as the long-term reliability issue, the MPV was a big hit for the beginning of minivan era. But the poor quality and reliability, and the failure to compete with other bigger minivan, which caused another screw-up of the good opportunity to make Mazda big. CX-7 was a good hit too, but the problematic turbo engine which made many CX-7 owners abandoned the Mazda brand again. SkyActiv Technology is nice, which also attracted me to get a 2016 CX-5. But with added cylinder deactivation for almost no gain on MPG, IMO this's going to be another screw-up like many others in Mazda history.

Mazda's US customer retention rate is low at 37% in 2016. Ex Mazda CEO Masamichi Kogai once said he wanted to bring that up to 60%! Based on too many missing old members here in this forum, there're not too many repeated CX-5 owners around, including me where I cancelled my purchase plan of another CX-5 in 2018 due to cylinder deactivation.

I honestly was going to dump Mazda until the 2.5T got stuffed into the 2019. The non-turbo CX5 I had (2015) and the non-turbo 2018 CX5 I took as a 3 day loaner were just not to my liking. The 2015 was a buzzy tin can, and the 2018 was a total dog. My 2019 is actually fun, and pretty quick for what it is. So far I've mushed on a civic SI,6.2L Raptor, HEMI Dodge truck, and stopped some -05-08 Mustang GT's flyby attempts. It also wasn't mcuh slower than a LT1 Z28 I encountered the other day that wanted to play follow the leader (hard to gauge speed like that, but on a good straight, he only barely inched off from me).

You had false positive BSM warning in your 15 Touring? I've never had a false reading. Man there was something not right about that car.

Back