Brights With Headlights Set To Auto

Pitter

Pitter
Contributor
:
2020 CX-5 Signature Azul Metalico
Another dumb question I'm sure. How do you get high beam (brights) when the headlight switch is set to auto? I can flash the high beam by pulling the stalk towards me but it returns to low beam when I release it. If I push the stalk forward an additional headlight icon appears on the dash but I don't see any change in lighting. I've played with this in complete darkness so sensors aren't reacting to oncoming cars or street light. I've looked at the manual but still can't figure it out.

Don't know about the Mazda cars yet, but on my Prius, pulling the stalk towards me does what yours does. Pushing it away, it also makes the lights turn on high, but stays there until you release it.

Sorry, Pitter, I missed the part of your post talking about what happens when you push your stalk forward. Senior moment!

Last edited:
From what you describe, it*s working as it should (kind of).

If you have auto headlights selected and the auto high beam control on, you will see the additional green light indicator on the instrument cluster. In this scenario the brights/high beams stalk will be in the forward (high beams on) position.

The high beams should come on fairly quickly in auto mode, assuming there*s no external lighting that causes the high beams to stay off.

You can turn off high beam control under the infotainment > lighting settings and see if the high beams can be turned on manually. I can*t imagine a brand new 2020 CX-5 is having light sensor issues. Make certain there is no other light sources causing the high beams not to activate.

I see now that you have to be going about twenty miles an hour for the brights to kick on. I wasn't going that fast when I tried them.

I see now that you have to be going about twenty miles an hour for the brights to kick on. I wasn't going that fast when I tried them.

Yeh, that threw me for a loop when I first tired mine. I have a long private right-of-way going to my property and I like the high beams on so I can see the critters in my path, so I switch to Manual when I turn on into it.

And I believe the high beams turn off when going around sharp curves and on hilly terrain...they don't want you accidentally blinding someone. Having lots of cargo + passengers in the rear seat (not su compaera, of course, but passengers who are gordo) can fool the system into thinking you're on a hill, so the auto high beams may not work then, either.

Yes I think I will keep them on manual when I have to drive in the dark in order to have full control. When I drive at night here I face people walking in the road, dogs of course, bicycles with no illumination and small cc motorcycles driving with their lights off. I'd rather blind an oncoming car than hit one of them or those because I didn't see in time.

Back