Air Conditioner- Weird burnt plastic smell

Actually, the number recalled was >260,000.

IF this is accurate [and that's a big if], Mazda is in way deep trouble.

I can't imagine the number is anywhere near 50,000. But it's concerning that at least 3 low-mileage 2018 CX-5s all suffered the exact same engine oil leak, resulting in an engine replacement by the dealer, within a week of each other. The odds of that happening from random chance, as opposed to a broader issue, have to be pretty low, right? Maybe a bad batch of gaskets or something.

BE NICE... you are looking for an advocate to present your case to high ups. as the Rep on the phone probably does not have the authority. I would suggest you explain to the Rep. why you need a rental...issues like get to work, pick up children, only one car..... how it is difficult to be without a vehicle. DON'T be negative about Mazda...

As to new or rebuilt, here is an interesting article:

https://oppositelock.kinja.com/when-your-brand-new-car-gets-a-rebuilt-engine-1643840327

Last edited:
OP- sorry bro. Glad you're getting it fixed under warranty. Toyota, Mazda, Honda....read enough of their forums and each one has some type of issues. And they're considered the most reliable makers! Now the issue is how will they handle the issue? I've dealt with Honda USA before...tough sledding. Mazda USA was much more easier to work with. I think them being smaller company they tend to "try harder" if that makes sense.

It*s clear from the tone of the 50k engine replacement guy that he*s got a bee in his bonnet and I think if numbers like that were involved, we*d have heard it from much more reliable sources than that. The cylinder deactivation issue is resolved with software so let*s not sensationalise this. It*s also quite easy for non mechanical persons, either at the dealership or with a problem car to interpret a major repair like a head gasket as a *new engine*, after all most customers don*t like to think that their engine has been repaired at low mileage. You also have to think about what *new engine* means in the event that this really is what happened. There are various levels of new engine starting at Short Engine which is a block with crankshaft and pistons, a 3/4 Engine which adds cylinder head and a Full Engine which adds the camshafts and any other covers including the sump (oil pan) and chains and flywheel. Even then, when fitted there is quite a lot of labour involved in fitting and dressing (swapping over all the additional parts like starter and alternator and many other parts).

They will balance the nature of the fault with the level of repair to minimise the cost but I wouldn*t be surprised at all if for example, a cylinder head gasket, whether or not it included a cylinder head was being interpreted as a new engine at a dealership or by a customer. If we*re something as big as old dissatisfied was making out, we as well as the press and TV would know about it by now so let*s not jump on the paparazzi bandwagon and drop into sensationalism and conjecture.

As a qualified mechanic, let alone a very experienced warranty manager, I*m still trying to link a smell from the A/C to an engine repair, let alone 50k new engines. Have a snooze on the sofa for an hour.

The Reddit poster is correct that the 2018 engines are backordered. My dealership had to wait about a week longer than expected to get mine in. They finished the replacement yesterday.

Here's what the invoice says about the repair: "Burning smell / found oil leak from cylinder head / Replace engine assembly and related gaskets, axle nuts, and perform alignment / Found oil leaking from back side of cylinder head, contacted tech LIE and was advised to replace engine. Now everything is as designed." List of parts replaced includes part number PYZC-02-300, which is "ENGINE, LON." There's also about a dozen gaskets, grommets, and o-rings, plus new coolant and oil.

All good so far, about 30 miles driven since I picked it up. I can still smell burnt oil in the engine bay, which I assume is just residual odor. No more smoking.

The Reddit poster is correct that the 2018 engines are backordered. My dealership had to wait about a week longer than expected to get mine in. They finished the replacement yesterday.

Here's what the invoice says about the repair: "Burning smell / found oil leak from cylinder head / Replace engine assembly and related gaskets, axle nuts, and perform alignment / Found oil leaking from back side of cylinder head, contacted tech LIE and was advised to replace engine. Now everything is as designed." List of parts replaced includes part number PYZC-02-300, which is "ENGINE, LON." There's also about a dozen gaskets, grommets, and o-rings, plus new coolant and oil.

All good so far, about 30 miles driven since I picked it up. I can still smell burnt oil in the engine bay, which I assume is just residual odor. No more smoking.

Sounds like you should get that engine bay washed and consider getting some charcoal cabin filters to eliminate the smell....that way if the smell returns you'd know.

So where would they get a quantity engines to rebuild in the first place?

The CD was just introduced in 2018. There can't be that many totaled cars so soon. Or is there some other source???

So where would they get a quantity engines to rebuild in the first place?

The CD was just introduced in 2018. There can't be that many totaled cars so soon. Or is there some other source???

The ones with the blown engines, of course.

If that's the source I can see it increasing the lead time, since there's no depth of unspoken-for inventory.

That's the danger. Apparently they're backordered now. A rash of failures could be hard to deal with. We still have no idea how widespread the failures are, and probably won't ever.

Well you can add me to the list with this issue, no symptoms other than smell, light smoke, diagnosed as a crack in block leaking oil, new engine required. Dealer said engine is backordered and provided an loaner, estimated 3 weeks to get engine. Dealer also stated they have done several similar replacements recently

Well you can add me to the list with this issue, no symptoms other than smell, light smoke, diagnosed as a crack in block leaking oil, new engine required. Dealer said engine is backordered and provided an loaner, estimated 3 weeks to get engine. Dealer also stated they have done several similar replacements recently

Man, this is insane. Between the CD issue and cracked blocks, I feel for owners and fear for Mazda's immediate future (at the least).

What the heck changed on the 2018 MY 2.5L design that might contribute to this? Or could it be a raw material or manufacturing issue leading to production defects?

Just to help put numbers to this, here are the monthly US sales of CX-5s. I don't know when MYs split. Calendar 2018 was about 151,000 units:

Mazda
CX-5
Mazda
CX-5
Mazda
CX-5
Mazda
CX-5
January7.0638.06813.46310.652
February7.5797.83613.21613.377
March8.9658.47016.13813.465
April8.82611.33411.3129.592
May9.95111.81914.17314.057
June9.2279.55012.71013.242
July10.83111.40212.20813.391
August10.61211.63112.97015.592
September9.38512.44010.53810.332
October8.94210.3069.27110.970
November8.86510.61010.88214.139
December11.98914.09713.74115.734

I cannot find global CX-5 sales, and the site I got this data from only offers Europe, China and US data...not Canada or Australia sales. Keep in mind that the above numbers include turbos (please don't let this happen to turbos or to 2019s!)

Back