Bad Fuel

dont know how it's in the states but in many places in the world some stations dilute or sell cheap gas that's not in the octane stated.

Interesting.

That could only happen when the guy picks up his load at the terminal (or maybe somehow monkeys with it in transit), not at the point of sale. I would have no idea what they could possibly dilute the fuel with, unless they cut a higher octane gas with some lower octane gas. I cannot imagine a refinery producing sub-octane fuel and getting away with it, but I guess it's possible.

I used to manage a gas station here in the states. The government would come by every once in a while and certify that the pumps were calibrated properly (actually dispensing the amount that the customer paid for), but I never recall any gas samples being taken for octane analysis. I assumed that happened upstream from me in the supply channel.

I don't have the 2.5T, but I just recorded my best ever mileage in my 2018 2.5 FWD...34.0x MPG.

That's pretty good! 34 MPG is pretty darn good mileage for a car as nice as these.

I recently took a 100 mile round trip on highways that were 55MPH most of the way. My aggregate mileage for that tank of gas ticked up 2-3 MPG over what I normally get, so I'd say it was up about 5-8 MPG. I didn't think to turn on the fuel economy monitor to see what my MPGs were during that trip. Someone here mentioned that 55MPH or so was likely the sweet spot for these cars.

Interesting.

That could only happen when the guy picks up his load at the terminal (or maybe somehow monkeys with it in transit), not at the point of sale. I would have no idea what they could possibly dilute the fuel with, unless they cut a higher octane gas with some lower octane gas. I cannot imagine a refinery producing sub-octane fuel and getting away with it, but I guess it's possible.

I used to manage a gas station here in the states. The government would come by every once in a while and certify that the pumps were calibrated properly (actually dispensing the amount that the customer paid for), but I never recall any gas samples being taken for octane analysis. I assumed that happened upstream from me in the supply channel.

stolen gasoline is a mafia thing,not in the brand name gas stations as much as in a local small ones.when u see a sespicious low price of gas-bingo.

So just looking around...I just got a new CX-5 GTR. Just over 500 miles on it. I've filled up twice. I'm only getting 22-23 mpg. I drive pretty conservatively (no hard accelerations), maybe 65/35 city/highway. I filled up both times at a "top tier" gas station. Been a while since I've had a brand new car but I don't remember getting such bad gas mileage in new cars in the past.

Is it likely to improve once my engine fully "breaks in" or is there something wrong with my car? Only thing I could think of from previous experience was the tire pressure and they were all fine.

So just looking around...I just got a new CX-5 GTR. Just over 500 miles on it. I've filled up twice. I'm only getting 22-23 mpg. I drive pretty conservatively (no hard accelerations), maybe 65/35 city/highway. I filled up both times at a "top tier" gas station. Been a while since I've had a brand new car but I don't remember getting such bad gas mileage in new cars in the past.

Is it likely to improve once my engine fully "breaks in" or is there something wrong with my car? Only thing I could think of from previous experience was the tire pressure and they were all fine.

What are you coming from? We do ~80/20 City/Hwy and are happy when it is over 20mpg's. Our old CR-V was always below that.

Edit: We have taken long hwy trips where it get's >30mpg's. The CR-V never went above 28.

I'm in the same boat.

I have over 5,000 miles on mine and my lifetime mileage is 24.5
I live in the country. Mostly 45MPH-55MPH roads, few stop signs or traffic lights, but lots of hills & winding roads.

I did notice that when I recently took a 100 mile round trip on mostly straight 55MPH roads, I added roughly 5 MPG on that trip. Going 70MPH+ really makes the mileage suck.

I've run 3 tanks of 87 octane through it and the other 15 tanks have been 93. By my stats, I get 1.8MPG better on 93 than on 87 (24.5MPG vs 22.7MPG). Note that the 87 was after tanks of 93, and the tank was not completely empty before filling up with 87, so the 87 octane was really blended at a higher level. The extra MPG with 93 narrows the cost difference but does not completely negate it.

I was going to title it something else, but I remember being 12. I also remember being a day younger, yesterday. I've matured!

Anyway, for the last 2 tanks, I've averaged barely 26mpg with my CX5 Turbo. I got fuel again tonight, and BOOM! I am back up to averaging 29-30mpg again. Same station. I wonder if maybe they put the wrong fuel in the tanks? I don't know what that "wrong fuel" would be, as when I used 93 octane in San Antonio, it was not E0, and I didn't notice a drop. Maybe I got 2 tanks of 87 octane?

Do you always drive downhill? I just broke 21 mpg on our turbo. What the heck?

2019 GTR here. Over 19,000mi so far, every single tank has been 28.0 - 28.5mpg. High percentage of highway commuting outside of Boston, with Smart CC on every commute.
I've run both 87 and 93 octane in multiple sequential tankfuls and saw no difference in mileage. I "sense" a bit of a performance increase @ 93 octane, but nothing substantial enough to justify the additional cost of 93.

Do you always drive downhill? I just broke 21 mpg on our turbo. What the heck?

Back