2016~2023 Auto-leveling headlights on 2018?

sm1ke

2018 Mazda CX-9 Signature
Contributor
:
Canada
Hi all, just wondering if anyone knows whether or not the 2018 CX-9 has auto-leveling (up and down) headlights. I see that 2019+ have it for sure.

Yes. The 2018 brochure states : *Automatic headlight levelling* under the GS equipment list.

Yes. The 2018 brochure states : *Automatic headlight levelling* under the GS equipment list.

Thanks. Do you know if it levels "on the fly", or is it only supposed to level the headlights upon startup?

The reason I ask is because the other day, I bought a pair of 145 lb dumbbells from a kijiji seller. When I went to pick them up, I put the car in Park and left it to idle while I loaded both dumbbells into the trunk of the car. I secured them close to the liftgate opening. I then drove home, but on the way home I could tell that the headlight cutoff level was higher than normal, due to the weight at the rear-most part of the car. I paid it no mind and thought that they would level out during the drive home, but they never did. After unloading the dumbbells, the headlight's cutoff level went back to normal, as expected.

I found this odd because there have been a few times while I was driving with no cargo at all, and the headlights would adjust the headlight cutoff down a little bit, as soon as I came to a stop in traffic (car in gear, foot on the brake).

I think I'll bring it up with the dealer when I have time, but if anyone has any insight in the meantime, please let me know.

Thanks. Do you know if it levels "on the fly", or is it only supposed to level the headlights upon startup?

The reason I ask is because the other day, I bought a pair of 145 lb dumbbells from a kijiji seller. When I went to pick them up, I put the car in Park and left it to idle while I loaded both dumbbells into the trunk of the car. I secured them close to the liftgate opening. I then drove home, but on the way home I could tell that the headlight cutoff level was higher than normal, due to the weight at the rear-most part of the car. I paid it no mind and thought that they would level out during the drive home, but they never did. After unloading the dumbbells, the headlight's cutoff level went back to normal, as expected.

I found this odd because there have been a few times while I was driving with no cargo at all, and the headlights would adjust the headlight cutoff down a little bit, as soon as I came to a stop in traffic (car in gear, foot on the brake).

I think I'll bring it up with the dealer when I have time, but if anyone has any insight in the meantime, please let me know.

Per owner*s manual: * The number of passengers and weight of cargo in the luggage compartment change the angle of the headlights.

The angle of the headlights will be automatically adjusted when turning on the headlights.*

I could be wrong but I thought the headlights also use the feature to project light farther and will return to normal when approaching oncoming traffic.

I could be wrong but I thought the headlights also use the feature to project light farther and will return to normal when approaching oncoming traffic.

I wish I knew for sure. I just witnessed the headlights "re-level" themselves after coming to a stop at a red light behind another car. Next time it happens, I'll save the dashcam video and post it here.

Last edited:
Not sure how and when they level. My driveway is on a slope so hopefully they don*t only level themselves at startup ;)

Not sure how and when they level. My driveway is on a slope so hopefully they don*t only level themselves at startup ;)

Lol, well I'll be picking up another pair of dumbbells (135s this time) from the same guy in a little while. I'll experiment a bit and report back.

Lol, well I'll be picking up another pair of dumbbells (135s this time) from the same guy in a little while. I'll experiment a bit and report back.

No issues this time, but I did pick them up during the day so I couldn't really tell if I was blinding anyone. I loaded the DBs while the car was off, then turned it on. The headlights looked to be properly leveled based on the cutoff on the wall in front of me.

Oh well, no big deal. I was just curious.

Back