Leave Headlight Switch On Auto?

Pitter

Pitter
Contributor
:
2020 CX-5 Signature Azul Metalico
Probably a silly question but I couldn't quite tell from the manual. Can yon leave the headlight switch set to automatic when the car is turned off and parked?

dwill I am new to the car and as I said I didn't see an answer defined in the manual. I assumed it was safe but wanted confirmation because Im in a remote area and the last thing I would want to risk is running the battery down.

I*ve always left it in automatic. Why wouldn*t you?

Considering the threads here complaining how well the auto headlights work, why would you ? Same with the auto wipers. It's not that difficult to turn the knob on the stalk when your brain tells you it is dark enough or weather conditions are such you want to see and be seen a little better.
If you forget and leave them on when you shut the engine off and exit the car you will get a warning beep.

You can never please everybody. Fact. I have zero issues with Rain Sensing wipers or the Auto setting on my headlights. i would hazard a guess more people have no problems with them versus the vocal minority. Like most things in life.

Considering the threads here complaining how well the auto headlights work, why would you ? Same with the auto wipers. It's not that difficult to turn the knob on the stalk when your brain tells you it is dark enough or weather conditions are such you want to see and be seen a little better.
If you forget and leave them on when you shut the engine off and exit the car you will get a warning beep.

Even on models without auto headlights, the lights turn off on their own after about 30 seconds

dwill I am new to the car and as I said I didn't see an answer defined in the manual. I assumed it was safe but wanted confirmation because Im in a remote area and the last thing I would want to risk is running the battery down.

The "Auto" on the headlight switch refers to the headlights turning off or on based on feedback from the ambient light sensor on the windshield, and only functions when the car is running. The sensor is part of the array at the top center area of the windshield.

"Auto-off headlamps" are a separate feature that comes on the CX-5. It's a feature that will automatically shut off all lights after a specific amount of time after the engine is turned off. If you have this feature (not sure if it is even offered in your market), you can go into the Infotainment settings to enable/disable and adjust the amount of time the lights will stay on after engine shutoff.

It can be a little confusing because the feature names sound so similar.

Mine is set to Auto as well. I've never once used high beams as I don't see a need in my use situation, the standard low-beams are bright enough for my needs.

Mine is set to Auto as well. I've never once used high beams as I don't see a need in my use situation, the standard low-beams are bright enough for my needs.

setting on auto with lever push forward will give you auto high beams. I find this very convenient..no need to ever flip high beams on and off.

Ok I checked it. Headlights shut off as soon as the engine was shut off. I will see if I can make adjustments in the infotainment settings.

Those with Auto Headlight feature should use it at all times. In don't know about US drivers but the amount of Canadian drivers not turning on their lights after dusk is out of control. Thankfully Transport Canada has decided to address the problem.

"New manufacturing standards governing exterior and interior lighting on all new vehicles sold in Canada begin in 2021, Transport Minister Marc Garneau said Wednesday.

The new rules are designed to increase road safety and eliminate what the government calls *phantom cars,* vehicles running without illuminated lights * specifically tail lights * in the dark.

Starting in 2021, new vehicles will be required to have one of three features:

Daytime running lights and tail lights that come on when the vehicle instrument panel is illuminated and the vehicle is in operation.
Headlights, tail lights, and side marker lights that automatically illuminate in low-light conditions.
An instrument panel that stays dark so the driver knows to turn on all the lights.

The "Auto" on the headlight switch refers to the headlights turning off or on based on feedback from the ambient light sensor on the windshield, and only functions when the car is running. The sensor is part of the array at the top center area of the windshield.

"Auto-off headlamps" are a separate feature that comes on the CX-5. It's a feature that will automatically shut off all lights after a specific amount of time after the engine is turned off. If you have this feature (not sure if it is even offered in your market), you can go into the Infotainment settings to enable/disable and adjust the amount of time the lights will stay on after engine shutoff.

It can be a little confusing because the feature names sound so similar.

When you say "all" lights, do you mean interiors too?

Those with Auto Headlight feature should use it at all times. In don't know about US drivers but the amount of Canadian drivers not turning on their lights after dusk is out of control. Thankfully Transport Canada has decided to address the problem.

"New manufacturing standards governing exterior and interior lighting on all new vehicles sold in Canada begin in 2021, Transport Minister Marc Garneau said Wednesday.

The new rules are designed to increase road safety and eliminate what the government calls *phantom cars,* vehicles running without illuminated lights * specifically tail lights * in the dark.

Starting in 2021, new vehicles will be required to have one of three features:

Daytime running lights and tail lights that come on when the vehicle instrument panel is illuminated and the vehicle is in operation.
Headlights, tail lights, and side marker lights that automatically illuminate in low-light conditions.
An instrument panel that stays dark so the driver knows to turn on all the lights.

I thought it was required in Canada that headlights be on at all times when driving, even during daylight hours. It was reading an article on this decades ago that got me started driving with my headlights on in the states.

I thought it was required in Canada that headlights be on at all times when driving, even during daylight hours. It was reading an article on this decades ago that got me started driving with my headlights on in the states.

You're talking about daytime running lights. They became mandatory in Canada at the end of 1989.
Trouble is, it's only the front of the vehicle that has mandatory running lights lights. The rear of the vehicle is not lit up.
What happens now is that because the instrument cluster lights in modern cars are illuminated all the time,
people don't realize that they have not turned on their night lights when it gets dark.
The result is that there are always people driving at night without their main exterior lights on. Their dash is all lit up like normal though.
It is particularly dangerous because the back of the vehicle is not lit up. In bad weather at night, these people are invisible.
I'm constantly flashing my lights or honking at people to turn their freekin' lights on. It's frustrating and dangerous.
Thankfully the rules are changing for the 2021 model year.

Back